Old 09-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1975 31' Excella 500
Amherst , Virginia
Replacing Vintage AS Mattresses

I bought a '75 Airstream Excella 500 that had had the original mattresses taken out. It's a center-bath unit that had the curved twin beds. We're thinking of replacing the mattresses with another to fill the center so it can be dismantled into twins or kept as a queen, much like a banquette is made into a bed, with bolsters filling in the center. I'm torn as to whether to get a high-grade dense foam made up, or to contact one of the afore-mentioned "custom mattress" companies (which may be really pricey).

Any of you had experience in replacing vintage Airstream mattresses? On another forum they suggested cutting up pre-made mattresses and sewing on a support on the side where chopped (removing excess springs, etc.) They said that would be far cheaper than ordering anything custom.

I don't need it to be the best in the world...but I do like a comfy bed. :=)

Any ideas??

Susan in Va

obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
memory foam is great!

Check out this thread where we replaced our with memory foam.

very easy to do and did not cost a fortune.

mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
I had custom ones made at a small independent mattress factory that turned out great. I don't actually recall the price, but I believe it was only around 10% more than a similar twin size price. Just get an accurate measurement or make a template for the company. They should be able to give you a price before they make it, that way you can compare and decide .

davja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Look at the three layer foams at K-mart, you can cut to size.
You can order at WalMart online, but I cannot always find them.
About $200 for a queen size
Your opinion is valued, please not your opinion of someones else's opinion.
Click To See Me Wet
1989 Airstream 345 Liberator...
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Replacing Vintage As Mattresses

Greetings Susan!

Depending upon placement of exterior compartments, it may be no more expensive to simply reconfigure the bedroom area to accept either an RV Queen or standard Queen size bed. My suspicion is that it would be far easier to make an "island" type bed than one the spreads across the entire rear width of the coach. With a more permanent bed arrangement, you also maintain the accessible storage behind the framed in platform.

Good luck with your research!

P.S.: When I replaced the center twin mattresses in my '64 Overlander, I went with Lebeda custom mattresses and the up-charge for customization was only $75.00 over the cost of the selected standard mattress. I have had mine for over nine years now and they are still absolutely fantastic!
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
My parents had mattresses made for our AS. They made the correct curve and are very comfortable. Cut a pattern and call for an estimate. I'll bet it will not be as expensive as you may think.

LJH is offline   Reply With Quote