Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Richland , Washington
Replacements for miniblinds in Flying Cloud 23FB

I'm looking for ideas for replacements for the bedroom miniblinds in our 2012 Flying Cloud 23FB. There's a large window and a small one at the head of the bed. Both are angled windows. In our previous Airstream (Bambi 19) I sewed curtains from blackout drapes, and made little elastic loops that fit around the window handles/latches to keep the curtains close to the wall. Well, those were a pain to open and close so I am looking for something better.

I'm thinking Roman shades, cellular shades, or curtain panels, but I have no idea how to secure them at the bottom. For curtains, I could install a bottom rod. But what to do with shades? And how to keep them from bowing out on the angled wall, even if they are anchored at the bottom? Would a blind company know how to make it work?

I've looked online at marine blinds, but they all seem to have wire rail systems which I don't really want to get into.

I'd be grateful for ideas! I can sew, and my husband can do any type of hardware installation, so I'm open to any ideas.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The best solution is to remove the mini blinds, install curtain tracks like those used for the front pano curtains... and make curtains for the windows along the same lines as the curtains on your pano window ...with ends that snap to the wall... you can keep the light out and the sides closed...

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
That is one of my main gripes with the newer trailers, the way the blinds hang out from the wall contour. It would seem that you have little privacy. I actually like my big pleated curtains that fit against the window and the roller shades that "lock it down" so to speak. Although I could trade the roller shades for mini blinds as long as I kept the curtains. I will be interested to see other solutions to your quandary.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
The best solution is to remove the mini blinds, install curtain tracks like those used for the front pano curtains... and make curtains for the windows along the same lines as the curtains on your pano window ...with ends that snap to the wall... you can keep the light out and the sides closed...
Geeze, I had to Google "pano curtains". Now I see... pano=panoramic. Yay. I thought the OceanAir blinds were in the new trailers. Those sure are sweet.

And somewhere I found a picture of someone who mounted a metal/steel bar below the window and then put magnets in the bottom of drapes so they were tight. Cool idea - could run with that???
Oh here that is (member = Bowmans): http://www.airforums.com/forums/blogs/37137-bowmans.html

or here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...ion-blogs.html

(There is something weird going on with my linking... sometimes the above links show the pictures, sometimes not. Sometimes the link is diverted to a different addy????)
Laura
Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #5

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Richland , Washington
That magnet/bar idea is a good one. You could do magnets in the side hems too for a little night privacy. That might work with Roman shades too. I could velcro the Roman shade to the existing cornice board that holds the miniblinds in place. I might try that out as a test project with scrap fabric first though.

I also like the idea of the rod under the window - I saw a picture of this on another post and it looked quite nice. I think I'd have to make the rods wider than the window so that I could get the full view from the window - I like to sit on the bed and look out the exit window by the TV, it's a good bird-watching window in marginal weather.

I will have to look on some dealer websites at those OceanAir blinds. I have seen their website, but wasn't sure how the blinds would look in a trailer.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Joliet , SW of Chicago
Curtains or drapes

Try J.P.A. Drapes, Inc. website and speak with Audrey on the phone. Since drapes are their business, she may be able to offer reasonable solutions. =)