Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Replacement Sheet Aluminum Polishing

We installed a sheet of aluminum as a backsplash in our 2001 Safari. Any cleaning ideas? It's unfinished, hasn't been polished to a shine at all. I'm just terrified of damaging it. I would love that high polish finish, but it's not absolutely necessary. We are also not looking to seal it. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Cheryl
TincanRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TincanRitz View Post
We installed a sheet of aluminum as a backsplash in our 2001 Safari. Any cleaning ideas? It's unfinished, hasn't been polished to a shine at all. I'm just terrified of damaging it. I would love that high polish finish, but it's not absolutely necessary. We are also not looking to seal it. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Cheryl
Do you have any extra material to practice on?

I have gotten a nice "brushed" look that is comparable to the exterior with Scotch-Pads, using a consistent horizontal motion.

Disclaimer....you must practice with different coarseness to get the look your after.

I did the battery door surrounds with wet sandpaper. Graduating from 600 to 1500 grit with plenty of water.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY DOOR CORROSION REPAIR 011.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	510.9 KB
ID:	194456   Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY DOOR CORROSION REPAIR 007.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	194457  

Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
And if you do go with a Scotch-Brite product then use a mechanical holder plate - with finger/palm pressure points there will ALWAYS be texture differences when the whole area is considered. Also - you might try breaking in the pads in on a scrap piece of aluminum (not iron!) since the coating they put on the wove pad is not equal and will have some very proud high spots that really streak.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Do you have any extra material to practice on?

I have gotten a nice "brushed" look that is comparable to the exterior with Scotch-Pads, using a consistent horizontal motion.

Disclaimer....you must practice with different coarseness to get the look your after.

I did the battery door surrounds with wet sandpaper. Graduating from 600 to 1500 grit with plenty of water.

Bob

Wow, it matches perfectly, nicely done. Thanks for the info. I'll need to check and see if we have some leftover pieces to practice on.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
And if you do go with a Scotch-Brite product then use a mechanical holder plate - with finger/palm pressure points there will ALWAYS be texture differences when the whole area is considered. Also - you might try breaking in the pads in on a scrap piece of aluminum (not iron!) since the coating they put on the wove pad is not equal and will have some very proud high spots that really streak.

"Mechanical holder plate", such as a sander/polisher? Thanks for the info.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TincanRitz View Post
"Mechanical holder plate", such as a sander/polisher? Thanks for the info.
Sanding block...used for larger flat surface's.

Did not use one on the battery door surrounds, as they are slightly rounded. Just sanded in one direction.
Forgot to mention.....obviously, door open and several layers of blue painters tape on the panels.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mmm35519-1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	194527  
Old 08-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Go to a NAPA store, and buy a spray can of automotive clearcoat. Make sure there is no grease on the aluminum. Clean it with either paint thinner or lacquer thinner and make sure it's dry.
Two coats should work just fine. I also use this to touch up the exterior from time to time.
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote