Old 10-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
If you even think about any kind of movement while you are sitting in the sofa it makes a noise that sounds like someone ......passed wind....with extreme conviction.
That is hilarious- like a whoopie cushion I bet.

Aage
Quote:
website sucks. Or blows.
I am with ya on that. I believe the blows part comes from the phrase blowing chunks (sick) while the other one is more generic! Ah. vernacular street talk.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've been watching this thread since the beginning hoping someone would come up with a solution because, I too find the stock Airstream couch very uncomfortable, and since I also have a bad back, sitting on the thing really bothered me.

Last night the solution, at least for me, came to me in the middle of the night, well actually about four this morning, but most rational people would consider that the middle of the night.

In the past when I had vehicle driver's seat that was uncomfortable, all I had to do was put some shims under the front of the seat, and that will raise the front, but also move the back of the seat back to a slightly more reclined position.

Anyway, went out this morning, made some shims out of 3/4" lumber, loosened the front bolts, inserted the shims under the couch, and it's MUCH better.

Can't say this is a fix for everyone, but it's a very big improvement for me, and I was actually to the point of looking around for a clean 34' that had room for a recliner, so if this works long term, I will have saved LOTS of money. Happy, Happy, Happy!

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Royal , Arkansas
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best. Please let us know if this really makes a difference long term.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
I've just sent my couch in to be copied with new mold and mildew resistant foam and fabric the old one had a horrible smell as the previous owner had not used the stream in over 10 yrs and loaded it up with moth balls. It is going to cost me $1500 but is going to be worth it
Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Gaucho Redo

Our "78" Ambassador had the original gaucho when we purchased it. Since it was falling apart I found a sofa out of an 90's Airstream. Neither one was comfortable. So we made a decision to have the newer sofa recovered with ultra leather and new foam. It made a big difference and gave us the look we were looking for…

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010307.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	200326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Couch 1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	200327  

Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Steve H.
Sounds like a shim is a good idea...
Though I'd probably try 4 inches To try for that Barco Longer feel.
Ha ha
Old 11-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Peter I don't think 1500.00 is all that much to pay for a good quality sofa.
road runner thanks for the pic.
I'd love to see a pic of it installed...
If possible
Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I have been calling all over to different manufacturers. It would seem that I may be getting down to some answers. Two reps told me that most of the jacknife sofas, whoever makes them, are not as comfortable as other options. One of these reps went as far as to suggest I build a platform and use cushions (like an International). So, I am waiting. The idea of recovering is a possibility. Although I do not have a solution, I am getting some good feedback. The problem is that what we have serves three purposes- bed, seat and storage area (under) and that is difficult to maintain with anything but a jacknife. A sleeper sofa is good but no storage.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Sofa Installed

Dave…here are pictures of our recovered sofa installed. Love the ultra leather. And the material comes in so many colors.

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sofa.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	200488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sofa at Night.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	200489  

Old 11-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Our "78" Ambassador had the original gaucho when we purchased it. Since it was falling apart I found a sofa out of an 90's Airstream. Neither one was comfortable. So we made a decision to have the newer sofa recovered with ultra leather and new foam. It made a big difference and gave us the look we were looking for…

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Very good job looks great
Old 11-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
If possible
When my upholstery guy calls me when my turn is up I sure will probably gonna be jam feb before he starts here's a pic of the old couch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1490103008.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	490.6 KB
ID:	200513  
Old 11-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nyce!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
If possible
I know it's not much but I just had a summer of 1500 here 1800 there every time I turn around I'm spending another G-note on it lol but it is going to be worth it in the end
Old 12-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Thumbs up Update

I spent nearly an entire day at a dealership Thanksgiving weekend while they replaced an exterior panel on my stream. I used much of the time to look over the new units carefully. To my satisfaction there was a Classic with a Villa International jackknife sofa! Yes, the one I have been looking for to sit on and try out- different from the sofa bed villa models I have tried already. I sat on it for quite a while and pulled it out as a bed, etc. Impression:

The bed option is similar to the jackknife in my model. The sitting comfort leaves little to be desired. The front is wave shaped with the wider parts at each end. The back was below my shoulder blades near the mid part of my back! I tried slouching in it but was not comfortable. The mid seat area was unacceptable. I really liked the fabric - ultra leather. The seat was not comfortable.

So, now that really makes me rethink the whole mess. That evening I sat in my ole Flexsteel and realized that it was more comfortable that the other. So, I started sticking towels under the springs and experimenting. I was able to change my seat comfort! So, perhaps "fixing" the one I have is not a bad option after all. Oh, I also had the opportunity to sit in a cushioned lounge in an AS International for a while. I was not sure if the platform with cushions would be more comfortable than a sofa. In my opinion, it was not. I would have to augment with pillows, etc to make it comfortable.

So, other lookers, your tastes may vary. I am pretty picky about furniture. I am back to considering my current sofa options and flexsteel options too.