Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Replacement Cushions - Where to Order?

We recently got a great 2013 25' Flying Cloud that we really enjoy. That said, we are looking to upgrade the cushions to the ultra leather option. Is there someplace online I can order these, can I go through a dealer, or does anyone have a better replacement suggestion? Just seems hard to find any info on the web. Thanks!
amplyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You can order them though a dealer. They won't be inexpensive. My guess would be $2000.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
You might also consider having a local upholsterer make new covers for you using whatever fabric you choose. It might be less expensive than getting them from Airstream and you may have a better selection.

We stuck with the original covers on our cushions, but upgraded the cushions themselves since we found the stock ones to be way too soft!
Old 12-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Anyway you go with the Ultraleather will be expensive. That stuff is nearly $70 a yard!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I wonder how ultraleather would hold up to a cat jumping up and down.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
It's holding up well with my two boxers. If the cat was declawed it would work. I can't see it holding up to cat claws.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Have you ever seen a video of a declaring. I would never do anything so cruel. Guess I will stay with cloth.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
A number of folks have opted to do this. As important as the outer covering is to replace the much too chintzy foam that comes stock. If you sit on an ultra leather seat long enough you'll soon feel the plywood underneath. (And I am well within the norms for my age in body mass index!)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Our foam in our dinette seats has regressed enough that you feel very much like you are sitting on the plywood. While Ultraleather would be nice (it would match the sofa), the cloth is still in good shape on our dinette seats. Is there a type of foam to ask for at an upholstery shop that will provide better support over time? I would assume I could either measure the old foam and have them cut a piece to fit the cloth cover, or leave the seat with them and just tell them to give me a new foam insert.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ask them for foam in a higher density than the old ones. Bring the old cushions to them and see what they suggest. They can cut it to size for you as well.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
We wanted to recover the cushions in the 2011 Flying Cloud that we purchased this summer. The previous owners recovered the sofa cushions in an ugly fabric and we wanted to return them to the original material so that everything would match. Since Airstream would not let us order directly, a dealer quoted me a price of $2,818 for slipcovers for the sofa - four cushions (not including the dinette cushions) in cloth. Yes, $2,800 for four slipcovers (I thought my memory might be failing me so I just double-checked that figure in my email and it is correct). So, I would expect the ultra-leather option for be more expensive. Add in the dinette cushion slipcovers and you will be paying a crazy price to get the slipcovers from Airstream.

We ended up ordering just the fabric through our dealer and I think the price was $21 per square yard. We ordered 8 yards and it was more than enough for the sofa cushions. We just picked up the cushions from a local upholstery shop and they charged about $200 to use the fabric we ordered through Airstream to recover the cushions. I will also note that the dealer said we could not order just the fabric and I let them know I had already asked Airstream about it and yes, you can order just the fabric.

One final note... Our Airstream sofa has upgraded foam and it makes a big difference compared the stock foam in the dinette.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I am in the midst of having our foam replaced. I sent our cushion covers to a foam and upholstery shop yesterday. New premium foam will be cut, shaped, and installed in the cushions. Beyond that I may well have new cushion covers made. I did not want to recover the poor quality foam that came in the trailer. So the foam is a first step and perhaps we will then move to new covers.

A friend used this approach and it worked quite well so I am giving it a go as well. It is not inexpensive but is an upgrade that was high on our list.

BTW, the upholstery shop vacuum shrinks and packs the completed cushions and ships the compressed cushions back to you.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
I have never replaced cushions in an AS. That said I have had almost every piece of upholstered furniture in this house redone. A good upholsterer can certainly help you out, a cushion is a cushion after all. The upholsterer I am currently using started out doing cars, he's a gem. Seams are straight, nap of the fabric faces correctly, patterns match perfectly. He says the life of foam is about 5-7 years depending. I found him through a Yelp review. In my earlier life I worked for an upholsterer so I am picky. A cushion using high density foam, Dacron wrapped should do the trick nicely. There are so many fabrics to choose from these days, I'm sure you'll find something to your liking. An auto restoration place maybe able to help you out with the Ultra Leather. Good luck, post pictures.
LizabethLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'd definitely have it done locally. You can normally SEE previous work by a local upholsterer. Getting stipes and plaids matched, plus having the nap running in the correct direction on every side of all pieces is important. Frankly the basic stuff Airstream does isn't always great. Now my EB is quite well upholstered but the old Safari, not bad, but not great either.

Not only are there different densities of foam, there is real rubber latex and chemical based. The natural latex is much heavier than the chemical kind, but the best of both worlds is to glue a 2 inch layer of natural rubber latex on top of the lighter stuff. Some say natural latex breathes better too.

Paula
Old 12-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
I replaced the foam as well as the fabric, in my '66.

I had it done locally and had previous work done by this business. The owner had different density foams for me to try out. The choice was obvious. Pricey, but no regrets.

It's comfortable, beautiful, and makes me smile!
TDOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I wonder how ultraleather would hold up to a cat jumping up and down.
It will get scratched!
I have Ultraleather in my trailer, leather in my truck, and a leather couch in the sticks and bricks. All have scratches, but none have cut all the way through the material. My black cat is so sweet I'll live with a little damage- part of having a cat who is my constant companion and friend. The damage is less than with fabric upholstered furniture or box springs. We have had some shredded couches and box springs.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
new cushions

we took our cushions to an upholsterer. they measured, we bought the material we wanted and had them sewn up. One can normally get referrals to someone to do the work from a fabric store.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Google "Toto fabrics.com" and then to "leather fabrics" ...I saw they had Ultraleather for sale.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
What does Airstream use for the cushions inside their ultraleather sofa cushions? Whatever they use does not last. It's time for me to upgrade all the seating cushion interiors, and I want to be sure to get a better foam material. Should I ask for natural talalay latex? Something else?

I don't know where to go locally, so I'm thinking of ordering online. Does anyone have a place they can suggest?

Thanks!
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote