Old 03-02-2007, 04:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by highmark
Thanks for putting such valuable information on this forum - I, like many, have looked unsucessfully for such a product.
I have an 8" crack in the inner plastic ceiling at the front end of my Argosy, above the upper cabinet. I can't get behind the crack unless I took the ceiling down (not prepared to do so at this time). Do you think this product would work to fill in the small space in the crack without being able to put a backing tape or plate on it? Any suggestions on using your product for this application would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Carol
Hi Carol: Devcon Seal-n-Place would work well, however the vibrations may cause it to crack again. First of all you need to drill a small hole at the end of the crack right now to stop it from traveling any further. Ideally, the stuff should be reinforced with fiberglass tape on the back side. If you cannot expose the area to do so, your best bet is to get someone who welds plastic.
Thanks, "Boatdoc"

boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Hi Malcom; I can tell you are very particular about quality like me, but that can be good and bad at the same time. However, you have picked a very difficult subject. The problem is, that unless you can access the back of aluminum skin and place a piece of duct tape over the hole to stop it from dripping out from the hole it will not work. If you can remove the inner skin, place a piece of duct tape over the hole. Push a short rivet into the hole to detent the duct tape, then you can drip the Devcon in until it is level with the surface. As the stuff begins to set up using small wire brush hit the top of repaired hole. Another way to duplicate the finish is to get a fiberglass mold release wax. Put a few coats of that wax on piece of same pattern skin finish. As the Devcon starts to set up, lay the waxed piece of inner skin over the repaired area and press down on it. This will force the Devcon to level leaving same imprint. Be sure that Devcon is just ever so slightly above repaired area, and wait with imprinting it until Devcon it still soft but tack free. Be sure not to lift the waxed aluminum until Devcon has set up. Be sure to re- wax your imprint plate each time you use it. You can be sure that would make perfect repair if you are willing to go into that much work. If you decide to use the Devcon I would recommend that you open up the pouches and mix only needed amount just for one hole at the time. Devcon sets up in about six minutes. Good luck if you willing to give it a go. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Actually some of my inner skins are still not re-installed so I could get to the back side of them. I am not entirely sure yet which holes are going to need to be filled though. Thanks for the tips.

malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Texas
repair plastic interior end caps with latex caulk?

I also have some cracks in my interior plastic end caps. Has anyone tried just repairing it with latex caulk and then painting over it? I wondered if that might work, since there really doesn't appear to be much stress on the end cap structure.
pdwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #18
1976 Argosy 26
paola , Kansas
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi to all forum members; I would like to share some information pertaining repairs on damaged plastic interior components. My rear plastic inner end cap was severely cracked in a couple of places. For a long time I have wrestled with a question of what would do a best job repairing it. I have asked many professionals to no avail. A salesman from one of my distributors recommended DEVCON Seal-n-place #90216. Comes in White or Almond/Bisque and the stuff is aw some. It cannot be separated after half hour. Two 30 gram kits repaired about 28" of linear crack. Comes with 5" strip of fiberglass tape which is not quite enough. In addition to glass tape, I have backed it up with 1/8" plastic strip over the fiberglass. Great repair. It is a two part polymer base and it takes only 20 minutes to set up. If anyone has plastic to repair you have to try it. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
I know this is an old post but I am wondering if this is still the go to product for repairing cracks in plastic inside caps? Thanks!
pikkygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
It's now available on Amazon for use in repairing bathtubs. Less than $20.

"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote