Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
spz
s2viking

1974 27' Overlander
park rapids , Minnesota
Renovation Project: where to begin?

I recently bought a '74 Int'l Rear Bath & intend to renovate. I wonder what I will find if I remove the vinyl wall material? I'm thinking about mildew/mold, degradation of insulation, water damage & structural cracks. Before I spend $ on cosmetcis & livability I feel I should check out the infrastructure. Questions: If I remove the interior skin is it easy to put it back up? What kind of insulation has anyone used to replace original? Has anyone rewired their Airstream? Has anyone removed the original plywood flooring? I realize many folks like original styling & retro feel, but I intend to update with more wood & less metal. I am concerend about the structure & feel that is the place to begin. Any help is greatly appreciated; Mr. Tool Time I am not. Thank you.
spz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Hire a professional.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by spz View Post
I recently bought a '74 Int'l Rear Bath & intend to renovate. I wonder what I will find if I remove the vinyl wall material?
The wall material is actually vinyl coated aluminum. You will find wiring, and itchy insulation. You might also find rodent habitats.

Quote:
I'm thinking about mildew/mold, degradation of insulation, water damage & structural cracks.
More than likely you will not find any of that inside the wall. Those little issues are typically reserved for the frame under the floor. You might find insulation that has sagged low, leaving uninsulated space.

Quote:
Before I spend $ on cosmetcis & livability I feel I should check out the infrastructure.
Hire a professional to inspect the infrastructure. Someone that really knows Airstream products.

Quote:
Questions: If I remove the interior skin is it easy to put it back up?
Yes, with a helper and a riveter.

Quote:
What kind of insulation has anyone used to replace original? Has anyone rewired their Airstream? Has anyone removed the original plywood flooring?
Rewired, yes. Re-insulated, yes. New flooring, yes.

I realize many folks like original styling & retro feel, but I intend to update with more wood & less metal. I am concerend about the structure & feel that is the place to begin. Any help is greatly appreciated; Mr. Tool Time I am not. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

It's your trailer, you should enjoy it as you envision it. My advice would be to consider the weight you might add by using more wood. You do not want to end up with a lead sled. Weight adds quickly while approaching 37..
Old 02-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
spz
s2viking

1974 27' Overlander
park rapids , Minnesota
thank you

I've thought about that. There is a company in Wheatridge, Colorado that specializes in renovating Airstreams, but based upon cost I could almost buy new. I have to watch my outog on this project as I also have a 32' fixed keel sailboatgto refurb. thanks again
spz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
I've thought about that. There is a company in Wheatridge, Colorado that specializes in renovating Airstreams, but based upon cost I could almost buy new. I have to watch my outog on this project as I also have a 32' fixed keel sailboatgto refurb. thanks again
Most of the time, a quality renovation will cost more than new. But then it's also much better than new.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
Area63
I am an architect. With the renovation or the new removal of an Airstream it is same with an old house. Finally the costs are same like a new AS. But: the residential quality, the history of the building, the charm, the uniqueness, the atmosphere etc. can be never reached with a new building.
(I hope, one understands my English, I must translate...)
Greetings from Switzerland
Werner
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you contract out the work you will spend lots and lots. If you do the work yourself you will only spend lots and when you are done will be Mr. Tool Time. Either way when you are done don't count on making money or even breaking even if you sell it.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
If you contract out the work you will spend lots and lots. If you do the work yourself you will only spend lots and when you are done will be Mr. Tool Time. Either way when you are done don't count on making money or even breaking even if you sell it.
SO true, Marshall! my next rig will be an already renovated GT or Safari...if I decide I can actually part with Sapphire after pouring a fair amount of my life-energy into her!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote