Old 05-18-2003, 04:06 PM   #1
GAS
1 Rivet Member

Question Removing vinyl wallpaper/paint

My mom and I just started removing the vinyl wallpaper/paint in her 1973 Landyacht. We are amazed at how it peels right off with the solvent that we bought at Lowes (they didn't have JASCO as recommended on another thread). But here is the crazy thing. It is not aluminum under the wallpaper, it is, we think, copper. Which is a disappointment, because we wanted to have a shiny interior as well as exterior. Has anyone else come across this also? Why is it not aluminum? or maybe it's a colored aluminum. Anyway, any info on what this is would be great. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2003, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It may be the Alclad aluminum...

I don't know much about it or when it was used, but it could be an explaination...

Sorry about your disappointment ~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 05:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I doubt it is copper. They probably used a lesser grade of aluminum on the inside skins. Whatever it is it will most likely require a lot of work polishing it out. Makes my head spin just thinking of the job ahead of you, plenty of work for me just polishing the exterior.

Chas
Old 05-18-2003, 06:07 PM   #4
GAS
1 Rivet Member

Lesser grade?

Your right, I don't think it's copper, but it has that color. It is a solid color so I don't think it's a discoloration. Do you think polishing it would make it look silver? Or do you think that is just the color of the metal? We really don't know anything at all about what we are doing- we have wanted an Airstream for years and found this one that the interior was already removed so we bought it. Now we are getting a crash course in Airstream Renovation. Thanks for your replys and help!
Old 06-22-2003, 03:26 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Removing Vinyl interior wallpaper/ paint

I saw you post and am wondering which products you used to remove the vinyl interior? What is the JASCO product?

Does this remover have a chemical smell? If it does, how long will it take to disappear?
Old 06-22-2003, 05:59 PM   #6
GAS
1 Rivet Member

Smile

Hi. We just went to Lowes HI and bought Strypeeze. It works unbelievably well. It does have a strong odor and burns your skin when it hits it, but we had all the windows open and wore gloves so it worked well. You just paint it on, wait 15 minutes and literally peel it off. If it is more stubborn in certain areas you just apply it again. (We would try to scrape it off with a plastic putty knife, but learned if we just reapplied the Strypeeze it would come off better.) We will try to post some photos so that you can see how it has turned out. Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:01 PM   #7
GAS
1 Rivet Member

Smile

Sorry- it did smell but the day we worked on it but it doesn't linger. So don't worry about that.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:48 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info. Have you decided to stay with the interior unfinshed in your trailer? I think it will look good polished.

I have seen photos of trialer owned by Rutger Howard and it is polished inside. I don't know if it is aluminum of steel.

I have a 1971 Sovern international that I need to get ready for the road. Have you done all your own work or have you hired anyone to do it for you? If so how do you use?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2003, 06:20 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know that I found that tile cleaner also works wonders for getting old wallpaper off. Back when I was a kid, I didn't know such beasts existed, so I did a bit of trial and error and found that the tile cleaner worked really, really well and was cheap too! No smell!

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:51 AM   #10
GAS
1 Rivet Member

Yes, we are planning to keep the walls bare. We really like the look. We did do it all ourselves, it wasn't hard and it really didn't take too long. I think you will like the look alot. It was definitely worth the work!
Old 06-24-2003, 06:07 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

I would like to see some Photos. I would look like to see the color your talking about.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:03 PM   #12
GAS
1 Rivet Member

I will try to take some photos tomorrow and post them for you. We are getting ready to take out the bathroom in the rear (something we are not looking forward to doing!) so we have been putting off going in the airstream lately! Thanks for your interest.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:32 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Qestion why are you cutting your trailer?
Old 06-25-2003, 06:44 AM   #14
GAS
1 Rivet Member

Well....... we really aren't planning on using it for traveling or camping. We want to use it mainly for hanging out during the races in the infield and a place for my kids to hang out between games during soccer tournaments. So we don't need the beds or the full kitchen or the full bath. We are trying to completely empty the inside and then our goal is to add some seating, a simple countertop, and maybe a small restroom.