Old 09-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Alpharetta , Georgia
Removing Interior Vinyl Wall Covering 1970s

Has anyone ever tried removing the vinyl covering on the interior aluminum ceiling and walls? I have been using 'Citristrip' (available at Home Depot) for removing the exterior clearcoat on my 1970 Safari, works great and is non-toxic. I found a very small cut piece of interior skin in a cabinet with the vinyl covering, applied the Citristrip on it and within a few hours the vinyl peeled off. So now I'm curious how the interior panels would look stripped, how much work would it take to make it shine and if it is worth doing. Another thought, would this hurt or help the value?

thanks for any suggestions

Old 10-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
orange , California
I just started removong the interior wall vinyl on a 26' 67 overlander, I used Jasco paint remover, nasty stuff but it works. The aluminum underneath is in good condition and looks great as is, i do not plan to polish it but leave it as is, I imagine it brings value to the trailer but am not really sure. I bought the Citristrip but never used it but I might have to try it out. Also, just a heads up the vinyl is easy to take off in some places and very difficult in others. I am about 10 hours in and almost half way done.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
I just completed removing my vinyl coating on the interior of my 67' Globetrotter. I used Klean-Strip premium stripper available at HD. You just paint it on, wait about 15 minutes and peel back the vinyl. The vinyl coating will remove with little problem. It's getting the glue and checkered pattern off the interior skin that takes a little work. I used lacquer thinner and A LOT of elbow grease. You will get your workout in for the day! But keep applying and scrubbing and the glue will eventually dissolve.

Also, it takes a little more work to remove the vinyl around the rivets. Do it, you won't regret the look it will create. It's also been one of the cheapest things I have done so far!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
orange , California
Thanks for the info, i'll try the Klean Strip as the stripper I am using now works but still takes a lot of effort to get the vinyl off the walls.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
orange , California
About how many hours do you think it took you to get the initial vinyl with Klean strip off the walls and sealing.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
What does the inner skin look like behind each plastic end cap, (nose and tail)? Are the end caps necessary?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Alpharetta , Georgia
Great to know others have done this. The problem with stripping around the rivets - probably easier to drill out the old rivets in an area, and then after stripping, re-rivet with new shiny aluminum rivets. The plastic end caps are another item to consider - they are molded to fit and might be difficult to fabricate with aluminum, but are necessary to hold in the insulation. If anyone has pictures to add to this....please post. I think I will start with the area around the oven/stove to see how easy this is. If anyone who is attending the North GA Rally Falluminum and would care show their results, please send me a message, I'll be there. Also, any ideas with the interior endcaps, maybe a nice color they used for paint would be good to know. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Foley , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to voxmaestro Send a message via Skype™ to voxmaestro
Behind the plastic end caps, most of the time there is no inner skin. The plastic serves as the inner skin (if I understand it right). When I have looked behind mine, I saw insulation...
Old 10-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mduran View Post
About how many hours do you think it took you to get the initial vinyl with Klean strip off the walls and sealing.
I found most areas of the vinyl removal to be very easy. I brushed on the Klean-Strip, waited until it bubbled up, then removed. It peels off like a large balloon. There were areas that seemed to not want to remove as easily but I took a knife and cut the vinyl skin around that area and moved on. I re-applied more stripper to that are and came back to it. This portion of the task takes little time at all (in comparison to the total project), its the removal of the glue and vinyl print that remains on the skin that is time consuming. I only removed a "wainscot" portion as a accent meaning only the lower portion of the skin and not up onto the ceiling. That will be more challenging because you will be working over your head. Good Luck! You can see a photo at 1967airstreamglobetrotter.blogspot.com.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
orange , California
Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
orange , California
Removing vinyl from the interior walls

I tried the KLEAN stripper and it worked a lot better than the Jasco. Here is some picture about 15 hours in the the wall stripping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside strip walls center.JPG
Views:	1145
Size:	818.4 KB
ID:	114027   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside strip walls left.JPG
Views:	659
Size:	690.9 KB
ID:	114028  

Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Kalispell , Montana
I have a 78 sovereign and I am considering stripping my walls as well. Did the vinyl application change at all that year that would change ability to strip vinyl from interior walls? Also, I am wanting to remove my panels and re-do insulation to get a higher R-factor. Would stripping be best before they are off the inside or while I have them off. They are soooooo dirty.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholmquist View Post
I have a 78 sovereign and I am considering stripping my walls as well. Did the vinyl application change at all that year that would change ability to strip vinyl from interior walls? Also, I am wanting to remove my panels and re-do insulation to get a higher R-factor. Would stripping be best before they are off the inside or while I have them off. They are soooooo dirty.
We intend to take our interior skins off to redo the insulation and wiring... I will strip the vinyl from the skins while they are off. It seems like it would be easier to do off....

1973 Sovereign 31'
BAMAjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Kalispell , Montana
That's what I figured as well but I thought I would ask just in case people had experiences with it either way. Thank you.

Tags
vinyl ceiling, wall covering