Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversafari View Post
Has anyone ever tried removing the vinyl covering on the interior aluminum ceiling and walls? I have been using 'Citristrip' (available at Home Depot) for removing the exterior clearcoat on my 1970 Safari, works great and is non-toxic. I found a very small cut piece of interior skin in a cabinet with the vinyl covering, applied the Citristrip on it and within a few hours the vinyl peeled off. So now I'm curious how the interior panels would look stripped, how much work would it take to make it shine and if it is worth doing. Another thought, would this hurt or help the value?

thanks for any suggestions
probably a silly question, but are you saying that the interior wall is aluminum simply covered in vinyl ?? souds like a massive job to remove that.., would it be easier to remove the panels from the camper , then work on stripping the vinyl off outside ? is it really worth it ?!
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #22

1976 29' Ambassador
Burlington , Kentucky
Worth it

I started removing the vinyl from the walls almost 2 years ago. The inner walls are off. I was making progress when I became pregnant. I did not feel comfortable handling chemicals while pregnant, so the project waited. We started back on the project this spring. I started to remove the vinyl again. The old vinyl was holding a smell that we could not remove. Even after the inner skins had sat in a shed the smell was still there. So, removing the vinyl is the only way to remove that smell. Yes, it is worth it. Tips, if it isn't coming off easily apply more stripper and wait. If you have to pull hard, it probably isn't coming off. The odd thing is when I applied this stripper to the frames that go around the vista windows it does almost nothing to remove paint!
bjandpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #23

1976 29' Ambassador
Burlington , Kentucky
Discovery

Xylene does a fabulous job of removing the glue once the vinyl is up. I have used the Klean strip swirling technique. This proves better results. Apply with rag or paper towel. You do have to get a clean rag or towel as it gets too dirty to remove the stuff. My walls are much cleaner looking now.
bjandpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #24

1979 25' Tradewind
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
We just stripped all the vinyl

Hi, I am new to the forum. Just wanted to add my experience.
I have stripped all the vinyl on my 79 Tradewind. It is a lot of nasty work but the finish is really nice at the end. I did make a youtube video of how I did this which I think will be helpful for others who may want to try this.
You can see it on youtube my searching "airstream, how to remove the vinyl from the interior walls" or copy this link:

Hope this helps!
Corey H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
I have started to strip my 67 Safari.
Did the door first. Jesco worked for me. It did leave the pattern and what looks like a brass color. I have not tried anything else as yet, wondering if it will come off?
What techniques worked best for removing the vinyl around the rivets? Exacto knife?
Seems like a lot of work, but worth it.
kenwadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
Well, I tried more stripper on the pattern and glue and it did come off, however, it is still a brass color???? Not sure if this an aluminum clad or not. Does anybody have any info on this? I like it, and may just keep that! Still metallic eh?
kenwadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Prudenville , Michigan
I was wondering to about the aluminum clad. Now that I've accidentally started the vinyl stripping process we can tell that part of it is not shiny aluminum beautiful.
Hamptastic75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Hate the vinyl!

I am still a good ways away from putting my interior skins back in, and for the longest time I planned to just do new aluminum because I hate the vinyl so much. Mine was nasty when I pulled it out. Anyways, I read this and thought I would give the Jasco approach a try on a panel... It was so easy! I painted it on, thick, waited 15 minutes, and it peeled off in one clean sheet! It did leave a glue coating. I had randomly picked up a can of "Klean Strip - Paint Stripper After Wash" when I bought the Jasco. I just poured it on and ran over it with a paper towel. The glue came off with just a few passes of the soaked paper towel. I think that stuff was a lucky find! Stinks pretty bad and evaporates VERY fast, but it worked. Guess I will be peeling a lot of vinyl skins off in my distant future!

But on another note... YES, the aluminum is very much a Gold Color underneath! But the wife said " I kind of like it!" So I don't care. She will probably change her mind and paint it 3 different colors by the time I am done anyways. I'm just glad the vinyl will be gone! Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	269630

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...te-145553.html
SonOfAnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Atlanta , Georgia
Just adding what's working for me so far. I'm removing the vinyl too. I already removed the inner skin so I just lay it flat and brush on the Jasco. I brush on Goof Off gel on the glue residue but ran into domes problems here because just wiping with paper towel was pretty tedious because the it would dry out. I solved that by using a squeezee to wipe off the Goof Off. Before, I had to reapply the Goof Off up to three times, but the squeezee gets most of the glue and Goof Off slushee and I just need to wipe down once.
Chae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Kent , Washington
Almost done stripping mine. Jasco Paint & Epoxy Remover to take off the Vinyl, Goof Off to get the remaining glue and WD-40/Mineral Spirits to shine it up. It's cool weather here so we found using a small portable heater pointed at the Jasco for 20 minutes activated it to do it's job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	274614  
tonydead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Prudenville , Michigan

Name:	IMG_7589.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	287660Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7587.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	287661Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7593.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	287662Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7592.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	287663Ive been using this and the Jasco too. It actually works very well. If you have a hot day paint it on and leave it for 20 minutes, few hours or over night. It bubbles and peels right off. Jasco works too. I've been using the a combo of both because not all the areas are easy to get the vinyl off.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Prudenville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chae View Post
Just adding what's working for me so far. I'm removing the vinyl too. I already removed the inner skin so I just lay it flat and brush on the Jasco. I brush on Goof Off gel on the glue residue but ran into domes problems here because just wiping with paper towel was pretty tedious because the it would dry out. I solved that by using a squeezee to wipe off the Goof Off. Before, I had to reapply the Goof Off up to three times, but the squeezee gets most of the glue and Goof Off slushee and I just need to wipe down once.

Squeege what a good idea. Way better than wasting paper towel.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #33

1976 31' Sovereign
Mississippi , Mississippi
We have a '76 31' airstream. The wallpaper/vinyl looks similar to the previous poster with the '75. This airstream was in really good condition, but some of the vinyl has come loose in places; not the outer walls, but some of the inside walls, and under the overhead cabinet above the refrigerator. I am wanting to paint the airstream, not going to stay with the gold and brown 1970s look. I am absolutely not wanting to remove all interior walls, and I would really like to just paint over the vinyl in as many places as possible. Several questions I have: What kind of paint would be best? I live in South Eastern USA, zone 8, so it will be warm and humid inside this camper for a good portion of the year. Should I remove the vinyl just in the areas where it is starting to come loose? Would it be better to try to reattach the vinyl? If so, what kind of adhesive would be best? The bottom line here is that I am trying to give my camper a face lift, not a complete re-do, not seeking perfection, just cuteness But I do want what I do to last for awhile, so I am willing to spend a little more time right now if the rest of the wall vinyl is going to be dropping off as soon as I paint it.
sewin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
Shower/Bathroom walls in 85 Soverign.

Wondering what has been tried to repair or replace the vinyl that is peeling from the shower wall and above the door? The shower wall needs some protection from the water.
Thanks.
LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey H View Post
Hi, I am new to the forum. Just wanted to add my experience.

I have stripped all the vinyl on my 79 Tradewind. It is a lot of nasty work but the finish is really nice at the end. I did make a youtube video of how I did this which I think will be helpful for others who may want to try this.

You can see it on youtube my searching "airstream, how to remove the vinyl from the interior walls" or copy this link:

Hope this helps!

Corey, I don’t know if you’re still paying attention, but your video on removing the interior vinyl wall covering is among the most helpful few minutes I’ve spent on the interior restoration forum. Thanks for doing it.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
For those of you who stripped off the vinyl and left the bare aluminum, did you use anything to replace the exposed edges that were previously trimmed with plastic (see pic) or just leave it bare? Please post pictures especially of the end cap area if you have one. Thanks!

Name:	IMG_2976.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	308982
Old 04-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Kent , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
For those of you who stripped off the vinyl and left the bare aluminum, did you use anything to replace the exposed edges that were previously trimmed with plastic (see pic) or just leave it bare? Please post pictures especially of the end cap area if you have one. Thanks!
Attachment 308982
We just left it there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	309052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	309053