Old 08-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Cottage Grove , Oregon
Please let me know what you find to be the best stripper to use, on stripping off the vinyl. I plan on doing the same thing, removing wall panels.
1976 Tradewind 25'
Thanks and good luck.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #16

1977 25' Tradewind
great cacapon , West Virginia
77 Tradewind land yacht using jasko stripper. Best done in full sun as stated earlier. Paint on. Set timer 15 min. Peel off. Put additional coat stripper on bare aluminum, pressure wash off. Do final coat stripper (if needed) pressure wash. Finish with magic eraser. Should be mostly finished. Tried Mineral spirits, did absolutely nothing. Went to all stripper. Worked beautifully. Got 1/3 done today (about 5 hours work). All panels stripped were removed. Can't imagine doing w panels mounted in trailer.

Was very apprehensive about doing this after reading some previous threads, glad we went ahead. Well worth the effort in our opinion.

Used most of 1 gallon. Will probably need 2 more to finish, or more likely 1 and some of another.

Good luck., Jon.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Cottage Grove , Oregon
Thanks, good info. Any pics of your project ?
Just started removing the interior on my Tradewind today. Ill get to thought skins soon.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:20 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
I recall seeing a thread that said the worst part was removing the adhesive left on the aluminum after removing the vinyl. Seems the trick was brake parts cleaner - and I think there is a youtube video about the same thing you might look for...
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:31 PM   #19

1977 25' Tradewind
great cacapon , West Virginia
the worst part WAS removing the adhesive. that's where the extra costs of stripper and especially the immediate pressure washing made it relatively easy. the learning curve took half the time. after we understood that the mineral spirits did nothing and brought in the pressure washer it was messy but cake for the most part. endured a couple small chemical burns though. nothing big but par for the course.

now preparing for what seems is the inevitable removal of the shell. we will see.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Golden , Colorado
Argh!

I'm working on removing the vinyl from the interior skin, and it's the worst part of this remodel by far. Kleen Strip works, but slowly and unreliably, and is pretty expensive. It's so thick it's impossible to spread evenly. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't seem to not burn myself either. Thank goodness I'm wearing glasses. There is no way I can do this to the whole interior :-/ I have a '67 overlander, 26ft. Any help would be great!
Old 10-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversafari View Post
Has anyone ever tried removing the vinyl covering on the interior aluminum ceiling and walls? I have been using 'Citristrip' (available at Home Depot) for removing the exterior clearcoat on my 1970 Safari, works great and is non-toxic. I found a very small cut piece of interior skin in a cabinet with the vinyl covering, applied the Citristrip on it and within a few hours the vinyl peeled off. So now I'm curious how the interior panels would look stripped, how much work would it take to make it shine and if it is worth doing. Another thought, would this hurt or help the value?

thanks for any suggestions
probably a silly question, but are you saying that the interior wall is aluminum simply covered in vinyl ?? souds like a massive job to remove that.., would it be easier to remove the panels from the camper , then work on stripping the vinyl off outside ? is it really worth it ?!
Old 10-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #22

1976 29' Ambassador
Burlington , Kentucky
Worth it

I started removing the vinyl from the walls almost 2 years ago. The inner walls are off. I was making progress when I became pregnant. I did not feel comfortable handling chemicals while pregnant, so the project waited. We started back on the project this spring. I started to remove the vinyl again. The old vinyl was holding a smell that we could not remove. Even after the inner skins had sat in a shed the smell was still there. So, removing the vinyl is the only way to remove that smell. Yes, it is worth it. Tips, if it isn't coming off easily apply more stripper and wait. If you have to pull hard, it probably isn't coming off. The odd thing is when I applied this stripper to the frames that go around the vista windows it does almost nothing to remove paint!
Old 10-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #23

1976 29' Ambassador
Burlington , Kentucky
Discovery

Xylene does a fabulous job of removing the glue once the vinyl is up. I have used the Klean strip swirling technique. This proves better results. Apply with rag or paper towel. You do have to get a clean rag or towel as it gets too dirty to remove the stuff. My walls are much cleaner looking now.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #24

1979 25' Tradewind
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
We just stripped all the vinyl

Hi, I am new to the forum. Just wanted to add my experience.
I have stripped all the vinyl on my 79 Tradewind. It is a lot of nasty work but the finish is really nice at the end. I did make a youtube video of how I did this which I think will be helpful for others who may want to try this.
You can see it on youtube my searching "airstream, how to remove the vinyl from the interior walls" or copy this link:
Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
I have started to strip my 67 Safari.
Did the door first. Jesco worked for me. It did leave the pattern and what looks like a brass color. I have not tried anything else as yet, wondering if it will come off?
What techniques worked best for removing the vinyl around the rivets? Exacto knife?
Seems like a lot of work, but worth it.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
Well, I tried more stripper on the pattern and glue and it did come off, however, it is still a brass color???? Not sure if this an aluminum clad or not. Does anybody have any info on this? I like it, and may just keep that! Still metallic eh?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Prudenville , Michigan
I was wondering to about the aluminum clad. Now that I've accidentally started the vinyl stripping process we can tell that part of it is not shiny aluminum beautiful.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Hate the vinyl!

I am still a good ways away from putting my interior skins back in, and for the longest time I planned to just do new aluminum because I hate the vinyl so much. Mine was nasty when I pulled it out. Anyways, I read this and thought I would give the Jasco approach a try on a panel... It was so easy! I painted it on, thick, waited 15 minutes, and it peeled off in one clean sheet! It did leave a glue coating. I had randomly picked up a can of "Klean Strip - Paint Stripper After Wash" when I bought the Jasco. I just poured it on and ran over it with a paper towel. The glue came off with just a few passes of the soaked paper towel. I think that stuff was a lucky find! Stinks pretty bad and evaporates VERY fast, but it worked. Guess I will be peeling a lot of vinyl skins off in my distant future!

But on another note... YES, the aluminum is very much a Gold Color underneath! But the wife said " I kind of like it!" So I don't care. She will probably change her mind and paint it 3 different colors by the time I am done anyways. I'm just glad the vinyl will be gone! Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	269630

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...te-145553.html
SonOfAnder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vinyl ceiling, wall covering