Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Removing Dinette Material

Hello everyone
I have a brand new 2011 flying cloud and the dinette is upholstered with material which is not practical for us. We have two golden retrievers and when they get walked when it is wet they get the material dirty before we can get them wiped down.
I was thinking of removing it and redoing the areas of concern. Does any one have any ideas as to what would be a good product.
I want some thing that will wipe off and be easier to keep clean.

Thanks George
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Years ago we found fabric which was factory-laminated to use on our kitchen banquette in our house. It was not shiny at all and looked just like the non- laminated version we used elsewhere in the kitchen, but it felt different, smooth and cooler. It was wonderful and indestructible for our dogs and small children. I wonder if that might be an option for you.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Go to a fabric store and look at their vinyl and faux leather sections... There are some very nice vinyl and faux leathers that you'd be hard-pressed to say weren't actually leather. They clean up nice and are very durable. We have used them both for some of our Bambi's interiors ...and we have 2 dogs.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Which part of the dinette are you referring to? The cushions? Let me know and I might be able to give some suggestions.

Kathy
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Fabric

I have no clue what they use on new Airstreams, but the marine industry does very well with Sunbrella : Sunbrella: The official website of Sunbrella® fabrics

After 6 years, we saw no wear on ours. No dogs, but plenty of wear!

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Dinette

Hi Kathy
Not the cushions, the material on the back and bottoms.

Thanks George
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:22 AM   #7
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
George- Unless you want to completely re-do the dinette fabric, you might consider going to WalMart in the fabric section or to a fabric store and get crystal clear plastic sold by length (and maybe 54" wide), and often used as a table cloth on top of "fashion fabric". It comes in various "weights" which translate to stiffness. There are no edges to finish-- just cut pieces to fit- across the kickboard and over the back of the dinette with some creative stapling with a staple gun so it is smooth in appearance and staples don't show.

I am going to "upholster" our twin beds and dinette we are building in our Argosy and might cover the kickboards with plastic on top of fabric. I am also considering construction of removable (with velcro) fabric panels that I can launder as needed and put back in place. If it is inevitable that you are to re-do the fabric on the dinette- you could do the same with some planning and appropriate washable pre-shrunk fabric strategically placed with velcro.

Good Luck
Kathy
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote