Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
The PO did wash the curtains and then threw them into a dryer and I believe he did this more than once. Our curtains have shrunken (shrank?) and the back ones barely fit any more.

Last spring we did have some staining from a very damp front window. It was actually leaking but slow enough just to keep the curtain damp. We removed it, washed it and it cleaned up very nicely.

I would recommend that you wash them at home following the same procedure as you would on one of your finer garments. Do not dry them in a hot dryer and you should be just fine.

As far as the TSP suggestion, I can't get TSP in my community. They have outlawed the use of many phosphates and TSP is very heavy with phosphates hence all the warnings about using gloves and such. Our curtains were not dirty enough to require the use of a heavy duty cleaner.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
We washed our on gentle cycle with warm water and woolite. Hung them to dry. Came out perfect and no shrinking. Sounds a lot easier than the hand wash method.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Rolleston , Canterbury
Washing curtains - risk of snagging

We found this a helpful thread and have successfully washed the curtains from our 2006 16' using detergent for woollens and the cool, delicate wash cycle in our washing machine. We dried them on the washing line on a breezy day and didn't need to iron them. No discernible shrinkage and they look and smell fresh.

BUT…we stuffed up a bit with the first set of curtains. The hook side of the hook and loop (velcro) fastenings used to join the curtain sections snagged the curtain face fabric during the washed and caused some nasty runs.

To avoid this happening with the second set of curtains, we got hold of a roll of the loop side of the fastenings, cut short lengths of this, and attached it to the 'exposed' hook fastenings on the curtains before washing them.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
I know this is an older thread, but the question I have is the same as asked initially here....how do I remove the curtains in the first place? I have a 2004 Classic. There are snaps at the corners holding the curtain edge to the wall, but how do I get the plastic sliders out of the metal track? In one post above they said to remove the end caps. These are white plastic held on with screws and they sure didn't want to budge very easily when I tried. I fear breaking the end caps. Is this how everyone does it?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Rolleston , Canterbury
Yep - you have to unscrew and remove the plastic end caps on the rails. The clips slide out but are sewn onto the curtain so they just go in the washing machine with the curtains.

Please note my earlier comment if there are any bits of Velcro on the curtains.

Cheers, KiwiAS.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Thanks! I will apply a little more force on those end caps. And the hint about the velcro is also very useful. I also appreciate the one above about labeling where each curtain came from as it is taken down, so it can be replaced easily. As usual, folks on this forum empower me. Its so great.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Well, I need some more advice. I got the end cap off, and the screw that had to be removed from the top track ...and slid the curtains on the street side out. However, I am stumped on the curb side. I got the end cap off at the bottom. Up top, however, I can't get the curtain unsnapped from the wall. One corner of the snap is actually under the day/night shade. All I can figure is that I am going to have to remove the shade, in order to get the curtains out. How do I do that? In addition, the valence on that side really obstructs access to the upper track. Should I remove it? I am about to give up on the project...my curtains aren't really that dirty....I just figured it would be nice to get rid of 10 years of accumulated dust. But I don't want to rip things apart to do it. You know the old adage, "If it aint broke don't fix it"........on the other hand, just knowing the curtains are clean would be nice.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Pine Bluff , Arkansas
Removing the shade

Ntex...This is the hardware that probably mounts your roll up shade. Find the end that has the open slot and just push up on the roller. That will release the shade. Hope this helps. Lots of great info is on this thread. We just cleaned our nasty 25 year old curtains today. Water stains were sprayed with Oxyclean spot remover. I used a combination of Clorox, Oxyclean and Gain detergent with warm water. (Probably overkill but it got the job done.) Big plastic 5 gallon buckets work great for soaking. Swished them around often and after soaking for about a 2 hours they were rinsed in the sink and put through a rinse cycle in the washer. Hung them up to dry and they came out so nice & clean. Happy Happy Happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roller shade hardware.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	241809  
Old 06-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Great that your curtain washing project came out so good! We have day/night pleated blinds instead of rollers...so it is a different problem to remove them..but thanks anyway. I was able to get three of the curtains down without removing the blinds or valences, so I went on and washed those. I did it in my machine on the delicate cycle. They came out fine, but honestly don't look much different. They are offwhite or ivory color instead of pure white, and I guess they just weren't that dirty, despite being 10 years old. So I may not bother with the rest since I have not been able to figure out how to remove them without removing the blinds and valences.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #24

2010 25' FB International
Lake Arrowhead , California
Thanks for all the advice on this thread. We are happy new owners of a 2010 serenity that was pretty well used and in need of a thorough cleaning and minor repairs. We had to remove the tracks to get to the end cap screws, but it worked. I carefully attached the curtains together with the Velcro to prevent snags before washing. I soaked them in lukewarm water with biz for an hour and a half and then washed in machine on gentle cycle, cold water with an extra rinse. I then just let them air dry. The ivory curtains came out much lighter and very clean and fresh. Now off to reinstall.