Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Well, I need some more advice. I got the end cap off, and the screw that had to be removed from the top track ...and slid the curtains on the street side out. However, I am stumped on the curb side. I got the end cap off at the bottom. Up top, however, I can't get the curtain unsnapped from the wall. One corner of the snap is actually under the day/night shade. All I can figure is that I am going to have to remove the shade, in order to get the curtains out. How do I do that? In addition, the valence on that side really obstructs access to the upper track. Should I remove it? I am about to give up on the project...my curtains aren't really that dirty....I just figured it would be nice to get rid of 10 years of accumulated dust. But I don't want to rip things apart to do it. You know the old adage, "If it aint broke don't fix it"........on the other hand, just knowing the curtains are clean would be nice.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
Removing the shade

Ntex...This is the hardware that probably mounts your roll up shade. Find the end that has the open slot and just push up on the roller. That will release the shade. Hope this helps. Lots of great info is on this thread. We just cleaned our nasty 25 year old curtains today. Water stains were sprayed with Oxyclean spot remover. I used a combination of Clorox, Oxyclean and Gain detergent with warm water. (Probably overkill but it got the job done.) Big plastic 5 gallon buckets work great for soaking. Swished them around often and after soaking for about a 2 hours they were rinsed in the sink and put through a rinse cycle in the washer. Hung them up to dry and they came out so nice & clean. Happy Happy Happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roller shade hardware.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	241809  
sabegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Great that your curtain washing project came out so good! We have day/night pleated blinds instead of rollers...so it is a different problem to remove them..but thanks anyway. I was able to get three of the curtains down without removing the blinds or valences, so I went on and washed those. I did it in my machine on the delicate cycle. They came out fine, but honestly don't look much different. They are offwhite or ivory color instead of pure white, and I guess they just weren't that dirty, despite being 10 years old. So I may not bother with the rest since I have not been able to figure out how to remove them without removing the blinds and valences.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #24

2010 25' FB International
Lake Arrowhead , California
Thanks for all the advice on this thread. We are happy new owners of a 2010 serenity that was pretty well used and in need of a thorough cleaning and minor repairs. We had to remove the tracks to get to the end cap screws, but it worked. I carefully attached the curtains together with the Velcro to prevent snags before washing. I soaked them in lukewarm water with biz for an hour and a half and then washed in machine on gentle cycle, cold water with an extra rinse. I then just let them air dry. The ivory curtains came out much lighter and very clean and fresh. Now off to reinstall.
TamiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #25

2003 28' Safari S/O
Argyle , Texas
Curtains look like they need a boost!

We just bought a 2003 Safari 28' SO. We are so excited to freshen it up! The curtains need cleaning as they don't look and smell fresh. No stains at all. I am having a problem getting them off. I have read post about taking a tab off and then slipping the curtain off. My honey says we should take off the whole track. I'm trying to find out how to remove the plastic tab, I feel a screw under the track, very hard to get to the screw as there is a wooden end 2 inches under it. Hope I described it well enough, I'm a newbie so you'll read more from me in the near future! 😊
Please give me more directions on removing the tabs
Thank you!
Shirleyshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Corona , CA
White drapery

We have a 2006 bambi 19. I took off the drapes (by taking off end caps on rail.) washed them in warm with woolite in the washing machine on gentle I added just a little bleach. Hung them up to dry. Ironed them on med heat and they came out really great like new.
Uke player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Corona , CA
If you can get one end off the bottom and one end off the top (on opposite ends) slide off one side, pull all drape to the other side and off that end. It only has to be opposite one top and one bottom. I had a problem like this I figured it out the opposite side can be used. You have to get the caps off to take the drapes down. Wash in warm gentle cycle in woolite do not put in dryer (hang dry from plastic hangers) press with med iron and they look great!
Uke player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
My wife has washed our curtains at least 4 times over the years, she use's gentle cycle in wash machine and they still look like new.

Taking the end cap off is easy, just 1 screw

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote