Old 03-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #29
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Glad I have only the industrial sticky vinyl to remove. Actually thinking of gutting really insulating and replacing the inner skin with copper.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Stillwater , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldVwHunters View Post
At last the weather has warmed enough to start stripping again.
What are you using for a stripping product? Looks to be effective whatever it is. I'm curious as I need to do a 34 footer......but it's not quite warm enough yet in Minnesota.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
Tools of the trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 503rdPIR View Post
What are you using for a stripping product? Looks to be effective whatever it is. I'm curious as I need to do a 34 footer......but it's not quite warm enough yet in Minnesota.
Sorry for the delay, but I had a new jug of a different product I wanted to try before responding. I saw a green jug of stuff that looked similar to what I'd been using and bought it thinking it might work better, IT DID NOT. Citristrip the orange stuff on the left is what you want, it goes on thick, stays put, and stays wet for up to 24 hours, so if you get interrupted it's not a big deal, plus it makes the trailer smell nice. The green stuff I just tried is too thin and runny, not a trait you want when working around nice oak cabinets. You need a super duper shop vacuum, I thought about getting a Fein from Germany, but my old Rigid got the job done without spending that extra $300 for a Fein. The more you can get off with vacuum the less snot you'll have to deal with later. I pour the Citristrip in a stainless steel dog bowl with the rubber around the bottom edge. The rubber helps with grip if things get slimy, the stainless steel just looks right when working in an Airstream. DO NOT set the dog bowl down if Fido is around. Brush on however big of section you feel like tackling and then just walk away and let it work, I usually leave it on 30 minutes to an hour. Then get your plastic scrapers and a snot bucket of your choice and get nasty. Don't forget the long sleeves some comfortable chemical gloves, and eye protection of some sort. The stuff is clingier than that old unwanted girlfriend you keep hiding from. I take a scraper load of snot and beat it back and forth against the inside of the snot bucket until gravity and motion takes their toll. Have lots of rags to wipe off what the scraper leaves behind when you finish a section. Each section will get easier as you learn little tricks as you go like rotational scraping that I really can't put into words. Good Luck!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tools of the trade.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	208214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exotic Strippers.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	208215  

Old 03-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Stillwater , Minnesota
Thank you very much for all the very helpful information....your experiences will definitely help me avoid a lengthy trial and error process regarding tools, chemicals and techniques. I removed the vinyl two years ago and have been dreading the foam/adhesive removal process since then. I am committed to tackling the job when I return home to Minnesota this spring as my spouse is getting a bit weary of gazing up at the yellow ceiling.
Thanks again,
Don Rice
Old 05-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My shots of the first section of vinyl after removal:

Since then, I did two of the overhead cabinets as well, but I don't have any pictures of them. (It's pretty much what you'd expect - open the cabinet door and see aluminum behind your stuff.)

This post is mostly to motivate me to get working on it again. We've got one giant piece of vinyl that's coming down right behind the air conditioner, which isn't good for A/C circulation!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Helena , Alabama
Looks great.

Wow that looks great. I can't imagine doing all that peeling scraping and polishing over my head. I have pulled the bathroom panels out and am in the process of peeling the vinyl off on an flat workbench.

I love the aluminum look but since it is soft is there a clear coating that will stand up to cleaning?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devain View Post
Wow that looks great. I can't imagine doing all that peeling scraping and polishing over my head. I have pulled the bathroom panels out and am in the process of peeling the vinyl off on an flat workbench.

I love the aluminum look but since it is soft is there a clear coating that will stand up to cleaning?
My arms get pretty tired doing it - breaks are required! I don't know about a clear coating; we've left ours bare. What cleaning do you need to do to it? When I was trying to clean away the Goo Gone, I just used a Clorox wipe.

Quick update: Well, the panel behind the A/C is now bare. It looks great. As before, I removed as much as I could - in this case, the light above the fridge, the trim panels for the sliding door, and I removed the one mount for the sliding door (note, Airstream used three screws...one from the track into the first block of wood. The second goes from that first block of wood to the second block of wood. The third goes from the third block of wood into the actual ceiling. I couldn't believe it.). I also had to remove the trim for the skylight.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote