Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Removing a Gaucho and building an Eating Nook?

Has anyone taken out their goucho and built a three sided eating nook with a fold down table that converts to a bed? I was thinking about doing that to my 1986 29' Sovereign. It would be easier to sit the whole family for dinner on rainy nights and I think it would be a bigger bed for my two boys. If anyone has done this do you have a set of plans and pictures you could send me? Thanks!

Rod
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Blazerod
Has anyone taken out their goucho and built a three sided eating nook with a fold down table that converts to a bed? I was thinking about doing that to my 1986 29' Sovereign. It would be easier to sit the whole family for dinner on rainy nights and I think it would be a bigger bed for my two boys. If anyone has done this do you have a set of plans and pictures you could send me? Thanks!

Rod
Hi Rod,

This has actually been done many times. Many people refer to such an eating nook as a "dinette." If you perform an "Advanced Search" on threads that have the word "dinette" in the title, you'll find some threads with helpful information.

Here's a link to one such thread with some pictures and details, but there are others:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...nts-34989.html

Good luck!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
1977 Argosy 28
Agassiz , b.c.
Airstream settee dinette nook

Hi Rod, I just did the very thing you mention to my argosy. Seeing as you're in Delta and I'm in Vancouver right now I could come by and give you some tips. My trailer sits up in Prince George for the next little while or I'd show you personally. you can view my pics I have on here to give you an idea. I've had a lot of interest in it, and a number of people ask for plans which I have none. I basically designed and built it as I went and didn't write much down. The pictures (I have more on my hard drive) should explain most of it. I did a large curve to go with the rest of the trailer, a square one would be easier but not as fluid looking. I still have to add a table ledge on the settee so that it can drop down and be supported for the bed. good luck.........kevin
uglyduck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
cool stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Hi Rod,

This has actually been done many times. Many people refer to such an eating nook as a "dinette." If you perform an "Advanced Search" on threads that have the word "dinette" in the title, you'll find some threads with helpful information.

Here's a link to one such thread with some pictures and details, but there are others:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...nts-34989.html

Good luck!
Wow some people on this forum do some really cool things! This is making me think...
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
here's a couple pictures of ours. We started with a trailer mostly gutted by the PO but it was originally a front twin with a storage area over the water tank for the table. We decided to go with the u shape with the idea would could aways convert back in the future if we didn't like it. So far we haven't used the trailer (3 weeks though! just 3 weeks!) at which time we could probably give you a better idea how much we like or don't like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296 (Small).JPG
Views:	194
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	60691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1793 (Small).JPG
Views:	187
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	60692  

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Man, that is really nice. Looks like it would seat about six, one more if you pull up a chair. I see many fun meals at that table as well as some card games when the weather forces you inside. Why in the world do you think you won't like it?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Goramsons:

That is one of the nicest, most professionally done interiors I've seen. Enjoy!

Brian
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
goransons,
I'm beyond impressed. Very nice work!
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
thanks, the only downside I see, is that if we want the area open and no table out, there really is no place in the trailer safe and out of the way to store the table top. I mean I could go put it in the truck, but the benefit of the stock setup from pictures (as I said ours was totally gone) I've seen is the table folded back inside the cabinet out of the way.

We started with a totally blank slate (after removing a layer of carpet and 2 layers of peel and stick tile, which is what the picture shows, day 1 after demo of flooring)

It seats 6 without people in the corners comfortably, and another with a folding chair yes. We're inside card people when the weather isn't good, so that is why we went with the dinette setup. All 2x2's and 1/4 inch oak plywood. under cushions lift up for storage of heavier items and less used stuff. There is a 12" wide floor to window base storage area that the counter top lifts up in serveral sections for storage of pillows, sheets, blankets etc for that bed area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634 (Small).JPG
Views:	153
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	60698  
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote