Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Byfield , Massachusetts
Remove Insulation Adhesive

Hi everybody,

We are just getting done gutting our Airstream. We got rid of the pink fiberglass insulation and would like to remove the yellow adhesive, duck tape, etc. and clean those walls.

We tried Goof Off, but that didn't seem to work. Any ideas on products, if possible "Green" ones. Anyone tried Soy-It? A bit pricey but maybe worth if after smelling Goof Off for just a few minutes

Thanks for any advice.

Kiera & Georgie

Old 12-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I used a circular scrub brush chucked in a electric drill to rub off the fiberglass shards bound to the glue on all the panels and wiring bundles. Lots of fun in mask and respirator, locate a tyvek full suit if you try this, I'd post a picture of my fuzzy self afterwards but it would be bad for morale and scare the horses... but it did clear the spanish-moss effect off the wiring.

A couple of months later when the shell had been lifted off and standing free I graduated to a 3000psi 3-gallon-per-minute gasoline pressure washer on the shell interior panels to worry the factory spray adhesive. I didn't have much luck removing the swaths of proper adhesive coverage but it erased the over-spray mist that fogged the shell and the surface residue build-up from 40 years to brighten up the interior nicely - or reduced the ugly by at least 50%.

Having the mirror smooth finish back would help keep sun shine heat-load down the same way as having a layer of reflective insulation would - the smooth surface helps keep energy from jumping from the solid to air, plus a physical property of aluminum is it does not radiate Infrared Light well that the glue residue will merrily be beaming off.

I'd love to accomplish a clean interior but will not subject myself to the solvents required (I've been told try Acetone) so will paint the inside shell with insulating paint instead, then a coat of aluminum radiant barrier paint before anything else happens...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Cleaning off adhesive and insulation

I did this same thing before and went through several chemicals that didn't work. I ended up using cooking oil and although it didn't make the stuff just fall off, it did work. I smeared it on the walls and let it soak for a couple days then scraped stuff off with a plastic scraper and wood pieces.

Try it on a panel and see what you think. It's cheap too!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
I am with Wabbitteer on the pressure washer. I used it on our 60 Tradewind to remove insulation, glue, and tape residue off the aluminum frame and skins with relative ease. I don't know if the glues are different from the 60s to the 70s. The pressure washer also keeps everything wet so no airborne stuff.
Interested to know how you get it done. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isabel restoration 003.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	147085  
Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Byfield , Massachusetts
We gona try out some more products this weekend. I imagine an adhesive/paint stripper of some sort.

I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 12-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Byfield , Massachusetts
I tried a paint stripper form the local home depot called Klean-Strip which did not really work, still a lot of scrubbing and no easy peeling.

I guess the reviews on the internet partly confirm the mediocrity product.

Search goes on or wait till spring when the shell is off , to go in with a pressure washer
Old 12-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Klean Strip Premium Stripper

Klean-Strip®

Methylene chloride 60.0 -100.0 %
Methanol 10.0 -30.0 %
Stoddard solvent / Mineral spirits 1.0 -5.0 %

Fail. Thanks for the information!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:09 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Informative, thanks

Hola Everyone

That glue actually had some magical properties. Didn't realise it is imperative to remove all of it, was thinking we could just add more glue and put the silver reflection stuff on top = wrong!!! Needs to be shiny for insulation, very good to know, want to do this renovation right the first time. I want to remove it anyway, there is tons of mould and dust which contains rat fecal matter. I also tried eucalyptus oil, Goop Off, a bunch of different solvents and nothing, its still there in all its browny yellowish glory, mocking my efforts. We not only have that but that goopy white sealant stuff, we can remove that with a scraper, most of it is a mix of cracked goop and mould, so it has to go. It was used very liberally around everything, including the door and all the windows, it all needs to be replaced, its disintegrating anyways.

The power washer is one of my favourite toys after the chain saw. Its going to be tons of fun cleaning the walls. Thanks for the heads up, was worried about the power washer pressure denting the walls more, but the walls are already dented, ugh....... and so are a couple of ribs (tree from Hurricane Ike falling on it)......one day at a time

Have a great weekend

Joie

Tags
adhesive, remove, walls

« Flooring ideas | Top | - »