Old 04-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Reflectix Reflective Insulation

Going with Reflectix Reflective Insulation for the interior wall and was wondering what is the best way to attach to the walls?.........thanks

Old 04-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Reflectix Inc. | Do-It-Yourself | DIY Unique Applications

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Toastie, I'm just finishing on the upper part of mine. I used half inch foamboard insulation, cut into strips about 2" wide and glued to the perimeters inside the ribs and in enough other spots to maintain a dead air space.

I used two thicknesses of the insulation with another offset of foam and that about fills the space. So, mine is outside skin, half inch dead airspace, layer of insulation, another dead airspace, one more layer of insulation, and then the inside skins.

Just used a hardware store glue recommended for foamboard insulation. Probably used a dozen cartridges of it.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #4

Richmond , Virginia
I'm going to ask a stupid question here, sorry. Are you guys using the Reflectix to insulate during trailer rebuilds?

We used Reflectix in the window panels of our pop up campers during temperature extremes. We also used it at times to block light and/or wind.

We are poster children for Reflectix- it worked very well in our applications.

We do not yet own an Airstream- still researching, dreaming and planning. I read Airforums to gain knowlege. I was surprised to find a thread on Reflectix here!

I've read that Airstreams are not "4 season" trailers. (I have to admit, I kinda giggle at this, given that we camped all year in pop ups and our first pop up didn't even have a furnace.) Are you guys insulating to extend your season? Will you also enclose the floor?

And are Airstreams really cold in the winter?

Is there an "artic" package available?

PBearSailor, I just clicked over to your blog- WOW.

a. Gorgeous trailer!
b. We've been to San Juan/Friday Harbor. I have a *great* picture of my husband at Friday Harbour, peering into a shop window like a kid at a candy store, looking at handcrafted wooden kayaks.

I can just imagine this little trailer sitting in someone's yard on San Juan Island.

She's a beauty- I'm so envious! Congratulations!
Old 04-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becasunshine View Post
I've read that Airstreams are not "4 season" trailers. (I have to admit, I kinda giggle at this, given that we camped all year in pop ups and our first pop up didn't even have a furnace.) Are you guys insulating to extend your season? Will you also enclose the floor?

Hi, some daring Airstreamers camp when it pretty cold out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138 (Large).JPG
Views:	144
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	100543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1088 (Large).JPG
Views:	144
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	100544  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1148 (Large).JPG
Views:	150
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	100545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1150 (Large).JPG
Views:	176
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	100546  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #6

Richmond , Virginia
Bob, thank you for your response! That's good to know about camping in the Airstream in the winter.

Our coldest (recorded) trip in our pop ups was 15'F. Of course this was in our pop up with no furnace. =/ =/ We did have a ceramic space heater with us, as well as our Reflectix window panels. There was also a significant wind chill on that trip. The Reflectix and the space heater didn't keep us household warm but we did OK enough.

On the other end of the scale, we recorded 70'F at high noon in August in Charleston South Carolina inside our last pop up, with the air conditioner running on low and the Reflectix panels in the windows. I thought that was pretty remarkable.

Sorry, I hijacked the Reflectix thread but Reflectix is one of my favorite things!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becasunshine View Post
I'm going to ask a stupid question here, sorry. Are you guys using the Reflectix to insulate during trailer rebuilds?

PBearSailor, I just clicked over to your blog- WOW.

a. Gorgeous trailer!
b. We've been to San Juan/Friday Harbor. I have a *great* picture of my husband at Friday Harbour, peering into a shop window like a kid at a candy store, looking at handcrafted wooden kayaks.

I can just imagine this little trailer sitting in someone's yard on San Juan Island.

She's a beauty- I'm so envious! Congratulations!
Thanks. Just found out that mine probably never left Lopez Island after arriving there in 1964 until sometime after 2000. Friday Harbor is pretty cool.

Most of us are using the Prodex or Reflectix insulation to replace the original fiberglass batt insulation during rebuilds. Often on these old trailers the orginal stuff is full of mouse condos and wet. The foam/foil stuff just seems like a cleaner, neater, and maybe better way to go. Nearly all Airstreams have a full aluminum belly pan and are insulated down there too in most cases.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
For installing Prodex I used 1-1/2" wide double sided tape to adhere a layer to the inside of the outer shell, then I taped around the perimeter of each piece using 1-1/2" mylar foil tape. For the 2nd layer I cut pieces of insulation to fit loosely in the openings in the framing, and I put them into the wall cavity, then taped around the perimeter of the wall framing, with the tape hanging into the opening where the insulation is. I then stuck a piece of tape to the face of the insulation and used it as a handle to pull the insulation up against the back of the tape, then pulled the tape-handle off and went around the perimeter of the piece, doing this every 6" or so, to secure it all to the tape. This gives me a 1" airspace with almost no air movement at all, as both layers are sealed as you go.
I opted for the prodex, partly due to Uwe's recommendation of it. The manufacturer claims it holds up better to high-heat situations like Airstreams walls encounter ocassionaly. Their claim is that heat causes the air in the bubbles to leak out and allows the foil layers to collapse against each other. I couldn't verify that, but I do know the Prodex was easier to handle then the Reflectix, because it was more rigid.
I spent $320 for everything I needed to insulate my Safari's shell.

Hope this helps!

Rich the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Going with Reflectix Reflective Insulation for the interior wall and was wondering what is the best way to attach to the walls?.........thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Toastie, I'm just finishing on the upper part of mine. I used half inch foamboard insulation, cut into strips about 2" wide and glued to the perimeters inside the ribs and in enough other spots to maintain a dead air space.

I used two thicknesses of the insulation with another offset of foam and that about fills the space. So, mine is outside skin, half inch dead airspace, layer of insulation, another dead airspace, one more layer of insulation, and then the inside skins.

Just used a hardware store glue recommended for foamboard insulation. Probably used a dozen cartridges of it.

cheers,
steve
This stuff is new to me, so far I'm going with 1 layer do you really need 2 layer.............toastie
Old 04-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
The second posters' link had a factoid that Reflectix has a maximum temperature specification of 180° F - that got my curiosity up so I did some checking and Prodex also says 180° F application limit...

Has anyone with severe clear sunshine checked on their Prodex install after its seen 200°-plus temperatures? I know solar air and water heaters often see above 220°F Temperatures....

** I have installed Prodex everywhere already

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
This stuff is new to me, so far I'm going with 1 layer do you really need 2 layer.............toastie
Steve, I used Prodex from Insulation for Less : Prodex : Reflective Insulation : Pole Barn Insulation : Metal Building Insulation : Bubble Insulation and I'm sure most of us have only used one layer. I used two after reading what Rich the Viking did on his, just did it a slightly different way. For our size trailers, the one roll you get is just about right for two layers.

If you use the Prodex stuff, you'll have plenty or two layers, and the R value will certainly be higher. For sure, there's a limit to what we can do having only that inch and a half to work with.

cheers,
steve

Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Santa Cruz , California
help with insulation

Ok, I know this is going to sound ignorant, but I need help. I'm reading a lot about creating dead airspace between the skin and the insulation. How does one doe this? I thought you just took off the interior skins, pulled out the old insulation, caulked any leaks, stuffed in new pink stuff, and put the interior skins back on. I'm definately interested in hypoallergenic/ detering molds, and the main goal is too keep heat out. Should I use pink stuff? I'd liek to know if I need dead airspace and if so, how do I create it? Do I create it the same way regardless of insulation material? ??

Thank you all SOOOO much

Santa Cruz
Old 07-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Welcome, SC. I'm right up the road from you and you are welcome to come and see what I've done.
I don't have time to explain and describe what I did right now, but if you're interested click on my screen name and send me a private message. You can also look at my blog. It has some info about this.

Best to you,
Rich the Viking
Old 01-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
JKJ

1973 23' Safari
Midlothian , Virginia
Couple of technical questions

Hi all,

This is a very helpful thread for me right now as I'm on the cusp of my own insulation project.

Just a couple of technical questions for those of you who have done this already:
  • Which of Reflectix or Prodex's products did you use specifically? They both offer a range, and I'm not sure which I should go with.
  • Which width worked best in the varied sized gaps in an Airstream? Is is necessary/easy to trim your insulation to width.

Thanks for any help!