Old 07-22-2002, 09:26 AM   #1
Question Refinishing interior paneling of 57 FC

I want to refinish/restain the interior paneling of my 57 FC, but so far I can't replicate the original finish. I have stripped a couple of drawer fronts for testing but no luck yet. I discovered that under the mattress platform of the bed on the lower headboard there seems to be the following layers: raw plywood, a "whitewash" of some sort, and the topcoat of shellac/varnish/lacquer??? What is the whitewash? Was there a stain used? Which topcoat product to use? Any help is appreciated. This is my first AS to restore so I am kinda lost yet. Thanks...

rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 10:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas

The "whitewash" sounds to me like pickling although pickling is usually put on on top of a color coat. You can get pickling at any large paint store. It is a thin liquid with a whitish material in it. Ordinarily, you spray it on, but I have brushed it successfully.

I built Southwestern style furniture for our den and sprayed pickling over a darkish stain to get the antique look I wanted. The pickling I used was left over from when our house was built; it was used on the kitched cabinets.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 10:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the input John. I'll give it a try. Now I just need to find out which type topcoat to use to match the original finish.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
1975 29' Ambassador
homer , Alaska
I am remodeling a 1975 International and have basically gutted it. I would like to completely take off the interior skin so I can go thru the electrical plus it is really dirty.
I can just clean it up with TSP and then paint over it but I would like to replace the lower half of the walls with 1/4" plywood...has anyone done this and can I use screws to attach or do I have to pop rivet it?? Any advice is greatly appreciated
homerak is offline   Reply With Quote