Old 06-02-2004, 07:50 PM   #1
Stoop

1984 27' Airstream 270
Merritt Island , Florida
Red Mold on Vinyl clad aluminum interior

I have red mold on the interior of the door on my 1984 Excella motorhome. The mold apperas to be under the clear coating on the surface of the vinyl clad aluminum. The mold is worse where the light is not blocked from the screen door being next to the door. I have tried everything with no success. If I leave the door open in the sun, it seems to fade slightly, only to darken again after the door has been closed for a while. Any suggestions?

This is my first post, I hope I am in the right place.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #2

red mold

I have this on my door also and am thinking it is probably rust from the screen because it lines up exactly with the pattern of the screened section. I am thinking about trying some rust remover that is safe on painted surfaces. I am going to look at the hardware store and see what I can find and then I will let you know what happens ! This is also my first post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoop
I have red mold on the interior of the door on my 1984 Excella motorhome. The mold apperas to be under the clear coating on the surface of the vinyl clad aluminum. The mold is worse where the light is not blocked from the screen door being next to the door. I have tried everything with no success. If I leave the door open in the sun, it seems to fade slightly, only to darken again after the door has been closed for a while. Any suggestions?

This is my first post, I hope I am in the right place.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

This was an ugly feature of the entrance door on our 88 Excella. Nothing would shift the red stain, and I assumed (probably wrongly!) that it was a reaction to ultra-violet light from the sun. I went to a lot of trouble to source the original material, had it cut to shape by a machine company, and replaced the discolored material with new. Although the finished result was good, I now consider that to have been a waste of time, energy and money. I would now spray the material with a Krylon matt paint. This is a $3 dollar (can of spray paint from Wal-Mart) job, taking perhaps a couple of hours. There are previous threads, seen via the "search" facility on the Interior restoration forum, that will describe preparation of the surface. Nick.