Old 12-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Question about our 1976 curtains

Just bought our new/old Airstream, a 1976 model in really great shape. The interior is like stepping into a time machine with the 1976 decor. The curtains need updating but will have to do for now. My Question: The curtains attach to the rods with little loops of fabric that look like they were once elastic. Well...that's my question, were they once elastic??? Or are they simply some kind of fabric belting used to attach the curtains to those little nylon slider thingy's.

Mike

Old 12-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yes they were elastic. Also the plastic will probably be brittle by now. If you try to remove or launder the curtains, you'll probably snap several. You can get replacements from the factory in Jackson Center or Vintage Trailer Supply or for some models, even from Camping world - there are about 3 different styles.

Paula

Old 12-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Mine are elastic...well they use to be. Now they're just stretched ribbons.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
You will need T-clips for the top and G-clips for the bottom , they will come with the elastic.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
they were/are NOT elastic. i made that mistake on my '78 and did my measuring thinking they were. when the new ribbon arrived it was not elastic.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
they were/are NOT elastic. i made that mistake on my '78 and did my measuring thinking they were. when the new ribbon arrived it was not elastic.
That's interesting . The last time I got some was 2 years ago and they were elastic . Wonder why they changed . When did you get yours?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post

Not sure where or for what vintage yours were purchased for but I can assure you that G and T slides in mine are elastic. So are the ones sold by VTS for 70's era and later vintages.

Elastic Curtain Slides

Elastic Curtain Slides

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 12-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Not sure where or for what vintage yours were purchased for but I can assure you that G and T slides in mine are elastic. So are the ones sold by VTS for 70's era and later vintages.

Elastic Curtain Slides

Elastic Curtain Slides
It was so long ago i don't remember where it bought the ribbon. most likely a curtain shop. seem to remember the replacement ribbon i used came in a roll and had no elasticity. elastic does makes total sense for this application.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks to all who responded, however I am still wondering who might be right. I know as much about curtains as I do Astro- Physics. My common sense tells me that the loops should be elastic to keep some slight tension on the curtains to keep them from flopping around when a window might be open and a breeze is present. I think I'm gonna watch the thread for a while and take a tally between elastic and non- elastic. Who ever has the most votes in a week or so will win....;-) Mike
Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Mine came with elastic. Even the ad at VTS says they have elastic attached:
Elastic Curtain Slides

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebanjo View Post
Thanks to all who responded, however I am still wondering who might be right. I know as much about curtains as I do Astro- Physics. My common sense tells me that the loops should be elastic to keep some slight tension on the curtains to keep them from flopping around when a window might be open and a breeze is present. I think I'm gonna watch the thread for a while and take a tally between elastic and non- elastic. Who ever has the most votes in a week or so will win....;-) Mike
Good luck with your contest . Ticki , over and out
Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
I had curtains made by the James P. Ambruso Co. for my 75 Argosy and the loops are elastic. The elastic loops on the orginal curtains had "relaxed" to the point that the curtains hung and inch or so lower than when new.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Both of my Overlanders have elastic. Dave
Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Looks like elastic is winning.

By all means take the path that makes the most sense for you but consider that the elastic serves two purposes: Privacy and Function

Elastic helps keep the curtains taut and in plane with the windows. Since the walls slope inwards this helps keep the curtain base in tight against the window providing privacy.

The other benefit is that the elastic gives when opening and closing the curtains which makes moving them easier. You can eliminate the elastic and sew in a non-stretch flat cord that is short enough to keep the curtains taut but opening and closing the curtains will be more difficult.

Our Avion does not have elastic tabs. Because the walls don't slope there is no privacy issue, but opening and closing them is not as easy as it is in the Airstream.

Regards,

Kevin

Eleanor Roosevelt