Old 10-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Puzzled by peeling

I think I may have an oops here.

I have recently finished gutting our 25ft. Soverign and as I went to clean the inside walls have found that there is a yellowish / almond colored almost plastic like "stuff" that is peeling off the walls. It didn't seem to start peeling until I started cleaning with just plain soap and hot water.
The hubster says it shouldn't be paint peeling like that as he was here when we bought it and the interior was not painted but, as he is out of town I am trying to take this on with the help of a friend. Any idea what it is and should this be coming off the interior or is it something that should be there? I am also noticing what looks like little rust spots.

Thank you.

Beth

Old 10-07-2003, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to the Forum!

In order to best answer your question, it would be helpful know what year your trailer is?

Shari

Old 10-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Shari,

I guess that information may be helpful . The one in question is a 1985 25ft. Sovereign.

Thank you for the help. Newbie here at all of this and it can be a bit overwhelming and comical at times trying to decifer everything.

Beth
Old 10-07-2003, 11:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
No problem...I know how overwhelming it can be, before long you'll be an old pro!

You may want to go into your profile and add your trailer information so you don't have to include it with every question you have. If you need help doing that, feel free to PM me & I can walk you through the process.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the 80's trailers...although it sounds like your vinyl wallcovering may be delaminating. Hang in there, someone who knows more about the 80's will chime in and help answer your question...good luck!

Shari
Old 10-07-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
This may sound a bit harsh

But short of sanding or stripping. I suggest you try a harsh cleaner such as GoJo hand cleaner on a sample area. I have found it to be an effective household stain removal on stubborn stains such as nicotine.
If you can get the walls and ceiling clean, consider an application of Future Floor Acrylic which has much touted on these forums.
Best of luck,
Rog
Old 10-07-2003, 02:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
But Roger...
Quote:
If you can get the walls and ceiling clean, consider an application of Future Floor Acrylic...
That won't help her peeling problem...that's for either Zolotone or intact vinyl wallcovering.

Shari
Old 10-07-2003, 02:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I have an '85 Sovereign 25', and the walls are aluminum with a vinyl coating. How on earth you have managed to get it to bubble and peel is beyond me. People who wanted to remove that stuff have had to go to extraordinary lengths to get it to come off.

So what to do now? There is no replacement for the vinyl coated aluminum interior panels, and they would be very expensive if they were still made. If it is intact, that is, coming off in sheets, I'd use spray adhesive to glue it back on. If it is coming off in pieces, I am guessing you will need to think in terms of some kind of vinyl wall covering. They make adhesives to put new vinyl over existing vinyl, and you will need to get the proper kind or the heat from the summer sun will cause it to turn loose.

Or you could go for the 60's look with Zolotone paint (the inside of the door is painted with Zolotone). Or you could peel it all off and polish it and have the look of a CCD at a fraction of the cost.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 10-07-2003, 03:05 PM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
But Roger..That won't help her peeling problem...that's for either Zolotone or intact vinyl wallcovering.
Right as rain Shari, I meant to offer the cleaning method if there is a stain or subsurface residue peeling prob. It certainly won't help if the actual finish is peeling (thus the reference to stripping or sanding). My bad.

Rog
Old 10-08-2003, 06:32 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

special

I knew our A/S was "special" but to accomplish the peeling of vinyl this easily And when I say peeling easily I mean it.

I believe if I take this afternoon I can have all the walls cleaned in no time flat. I was thinking of going for the polished look on the inside now as I think it would look nice with the new refit a friend has designed for us. Would this be a smart move or would it do more harm than good?

Thank you all for you help.

Beth
Old 10-08-2003, 07:01 AM   #10
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Rare Bird

I have cleaned several AS interiors and I have yet to see one peel as you describe.

Never the less, I use HD brand ZEP degreaser or any purple stuff solution.

I have actually wrote to the fact that the vinyl clad interior is the best wall covering I have ever witnessed. The stuff will clean up like brand new.

The sticky stuff people often complain of just comes right off with the Zep. I put the straight solution in a bug sprayer and add water to about a 1 to 3 solution. Spray it on the walls and watch the grease and grime run off the walls.

I am working on a 34 Excella and it works perfectly. This unit was extremely greasy and mildewed.

I cant help but think that you are going to run into some difficulty removing all of the vinyl cladding. Not to mention the polishing of the interior.

I would consider re-glue the covering.

I am certain that you will meet the challenge now that you have the disease, Aluminitis Bauxitis.

Smily
Old 10-08-2003, 12:02 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Smily,

Thank you for the info on the cleaning products. All of the buildup, grease, mildew, and other grunge is coming off like a dream. We haven't come across any sticky substance which is how my question originated. I didn't think, after reading so many posts, that it would / should be that easy. I have just about completed cleaning the walls and all of the mysterious peeling substance has come off just as easily. After speaking with the hubster, he says to re-glue is not an option. I have taken some pictures but am having problems downloading them. As soon as I get that situation taken care of I will post them. After looking at the results I believe that the new interior is going to be quite a bit different than originally planned. Womans perogative to change her mind

By the way, what is Aluminitis Bauxitis

Thank you for your help
Old 10-08-2003, 12:15 PM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
You asked
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:37 PM   #13

hi,my name is kim. i also am brand new to camping and airstreams. like beth,i also thought i was having a problem with the interior walls of a 1966 avion. the present owners painted the inside of the trailer but,it is peeling off. under the pain is,the bright aluminum. i was not sure if this was what was suppose to be on the walls or if there should be a vinal wall panel of some sort. after reading some of your comments,it sounds like some of the trailers do have the aluminum interior. am i right? kim