Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
Painting the walls

OK I'm sure there are a dozen threads on this but I thought Id ask again incase there is any new info. OK, I just got a 66 Globetrotter and the walls have some stains on them and are somewhat yellowed. I'm going to clean them and all but I'm wanting to paint it white(-ish) to get it brighter in there. Whats the best stuff to use? We also have to replace a few rivets. The walls have some kind of pattern in them, like a small basket weave? Anyone ever painted over that before? Any info is awesome. Thanks

Tiffany
DandTPerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I used Kills as the primer coat then a high quality sherwin williams paint. I would recommend going to a sherwin williams (or other major brand) paint store (not lowes or home depot) and see what product they suggest for your specific application.
If I were doing a complete gut, I would tape up and spray the entire thing. A good smooth roller and paint brush is the next best thing.
My paint job has done well so far. The PO painted sky/clouds all over the walls and ceilings...*gasp*! I fixed that first!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
D & T

Welcome to the group and congrats on your 66GT. I have a 66TW and love it.

I would probably shy away from painting the walls (new solutions have new problems). A good cleaning should be all that is necessary and they should be plenty bright enough. Wait for somebody else to chime in with what to clean them with.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
I'm hoping cleaning it will do the trick because I do not want to paint, but it looks pretty funky. I was thinking 409? What is it on the wall? We're not totally gutting it, just took out everything from the bathroom forward. So no beds, cabinets (we left the upper cabinets), stove, fridge...and the floor covering is out. We have two other AS that need a LOT of work so this one looks like a piece of cake to get done. Just a few missing parts here and there, cleaning, and some interior.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Cleaning may be the best way to start! Here are some pics of the paint in my AS. Like I mentioned, PO painted sky and clouds... I didn't have many options
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0798.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	151847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0799.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	151848  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0283.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	151849   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 033.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	151850  

WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
Yikes. I would have painted that too. We are gonna test clean a few spots this afternoon. Wish us luck! Lol.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
You might try asking a paint store what to use, I know there's special paint cleaners for when it's really bad.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
The 409 and a brush did ok at getting the worst and getting it out of the texture. A Mr Clean magic eraser worked on some stuff, but theres still some discoloration here and there...I'm going to go over it a few times before I decide on painting or not. Good things its not any bigger
Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
In case you are still struggling with this decision, we went through the whole painting thing last summer and I researched until I was blue in the face (ha), and I took much of the advice is in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ors-62392.html
We first scrubbed with Krud Kutter using a scratchy sponge, (it really works well!) rinsed with a clean wet sponge, let dry, then applied a coat of oil-based primer, Cover Stain by Zinsser, then painted with a Benjamin Moore latex paint in an off white. Our '88 has the hard plastic end caps, and they were dingy and yellowed and we followed advice from the forum to spray paint it (after taping everything off, and BEFORE painting everything else) with Krylon paint for plastic. It worked great, but was very time-consuming and took 2-3 coats. We even painted the shower stall with it and it has held up well, so far! Good luck!
okiedebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
Thanks. I'm working on reading through that thread now. Cleaning didnt quite get it where I want it, but it looks worlds better. So I'm torn between dealing with it, or painting. I think my husband would slap me if I said paint. Lol. Hes replaced part of the frame and floor so far, and has the bathroom out of it, plus hes replacing electrical stuff. I'm pretty sure most of the probs that annoy me will be covered up once everything is back in it. As bad as everything is the walls are not sticky. They werent even sticky before I cleaned. I would really love a crisp white wall, but I dont know if its going to be that big of a difference after its done.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
You have nothing to loose painting if they are already coated

Alum shiny interior I would say no value will go down. If they are just dingy old walls with painted finish go for it. Just use the best paint you can get. Benjamin Moore is pretty decent, has different drying agent. Wonder if using PVA lighty over surface might be good way to go. Stands for Poly Vinyl Acitate form of glue. Inexpensive just get like Behr PVA or Giliden very inexpensive. You must put all your time and effort prepping before paint. Clean the walls very best you can, no residue from soaps or grease. I would ask around at painters forums. They might recommend Kilz oil base but I have had poor results with oil comming through water based paints. Gliden makes primer called gripper should work. I have done a lot of interior painting on new homes. Benjamin Moores primers I am not really fan of caulky and the grip not sure. Less sheen you select nicer end product. If you are going yellows pearl (satin) is most shine I would ever go. Colors do not look good in semi gloss at least in new homes. I forgot the painters forum name but these pros know all about bonding issues,primers.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
I'm still cleaning and looking at paint. Still can't decide. I have a steam cleaner I'm gonna try. Only thing with paint that worries me is what does it's do on the seams? I have this 1 inch trim around the windows that won't lay flat all the way around. I didn't want the paint to look half-assed in those spots, it pull apart after it's dry?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Lets see picture!

Not sure which area you are worried about. May want to spray those areas around windows. Or for now do nothing. If it is plastic Krylon makes good product in many colors. If I had an older unit I might try glossy metalic pearl sliver would be fun project. Hey is that product called Zolatone on old airstreams? I was looking at few different boat makers that offer this coating, wonder if you could have this applied?

http://www.zolatone.com/multi-color-...ishes/polomyx/
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I may be way off base, but I remember that when we had the walls in our house repainted, they were first cleaned with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate). It removed years of grease and grime - almost to the point that the walls didn't need painting.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
TSP is a great cleaner. It comes in a box and it is very inexpensive.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
I decided to paint. Theres a bunch of holes (too many and too close for rivets) that need filling and I found a pearlescent paint I LOVE. I got some tsp to clean with and gripper primer from sherwin williams. If the weather agrees and I get my prep work done this weekend I might get it done next week. We are also going to paint the bathroom enclosure thing. My husband is going to spray it with an automotive paint gun. I just can't live with insane asylum green. I'll try to post pics and list product in case is helps anyone else. Thanks for all the feedback y'all!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandTPerez
I decided to paint. Theres a bunch of holes (too many and too close for rivets) that need filling and I found a pearlescent paint I LOVE. I got some tsp to clean with and gripper primer from sherwin williams. If the weather agrees and I get my prep work done this weekend I might get it done next week. We are also going to paint the bathroom enclosure thing. My husband is going to spray it with an automotive paint gun. I just can't live with insane asylum green. I'll try to post pics and list product in case is helps anyone else. Thanks for all the feedback y'all!
If the shower enclosure you are referring to is the shower walls, take a look at a Sherwin Williams product called "tile doc" . That is what it is for...worth a look before you paint!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 03-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
1978 28' Ambassador
Boerne , Texas
I just finished two, a 63 and 78. I washed them down with Krud kutter and scrubber sponge. Then primed them with Kilz, oil based primer. Painted one with a roller sponge roller, and the 78 with 20 cans of Rustoleum with primer. I like the spray paint job best, the 78 had that texture you described. It looks really good.
esmaytum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
IronClad by Benjamin Moore the best..........toastie

IronClad® Latex Low Lustre Metal & Wood Enamel 363/C363
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
We got the bathroom done. We used the tile doc stuff and sprayed it with his automotive paint sprayer. It came out nice. I have pics but the lighting is bad and it's hard to see the color difference, but it looks awesome when you're in it. We're getting bad weather today and tomorrow so no work for awhile. I have a lot of fixing to do before painting. The po slapped paint on the cabinet ends and got it on the metal trim, over screw heads, etc. has anyone ever changed the wallpaper stuff on the upper cabinets? It's coming off on the inside but all I see are rivets on the inside holding the wood to the trim, how does that go back together? I'd like to either take it off and paint, repaper, or do a metal covering on the outside. Thanks, you guys are so helpful. I get crosseyed searching through all these posts. : p