Old 05-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Painting over Zolatone

Well, I did a ton of research on the subject: "Painting over Zolatone", and here are my findings and STILL need some opinions ASAP...
Lacquer primer and paint is FOR SURE a solid way to go for durability! I used an air HVLP gun. I hit it with 120 on the DA, primed and painted within an hour. I had made my tests weeks ago and the lacquer bites into the Zolatone... Months ago I got a hold of the makers of Zolatone and they gave me the heads up... Testing with a scewdriver, of course it scratches, but it doesn't "chip away" (If you know what I mean).
But,,, one problem, lighting as spraying inside of a camper. There is practically no way to get good lighting across the ceiling, causing dry spots, even with proper thinners and retarders. For my bathroom and bedroom area, I'm going with it. The durability is most important anyways, but I'll give up the durability factor for a better looking finish in the livingroom/kitchen area...
So what to use in the Livingroom? I need to/prefer to use something I can roll on to hide a few chipped areas (So the texture matches more uniformly).
So,,, oil base? Or Exterior water based? I truly think water based will give me a better finish, but with temps and moisture deviations, I fear the water based (Latex) might run into problems and allow the moisture to gather between the Zolatone and the new Latex...
I can't think of any other options available to me that doesn't require a catalyzed product (I don't have the proper setup to spray these types of products at my shop, so it's not an option for me).
Any other thoughts or experience would be truly appreciated. I need to finish this part of the project up THIS WEEK! I really don't want to experiment to see what will last and what will peel off.
THANKS in advance!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
I would stay away from latex. It will not bond with the lacquer very well. I would look for an oil based paint made for an industrial or exterior setting. The thing is the inside of a trailer is subject to extreme temperature changes and there is a lot of expansion and contraction with metal. That is the reason they used Zolatone in the first place. If you do use some type of exterior oil based paint make sure is not made to chalk. Many exterior house paints are made to chalk. Satin and semi glosses will stand up to cleaning better than flat finishes. I would like to see some pictures of your process and results. Did you take all the cabinets out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studioman View Post
Well, I did a ton of research on the subject: "Painting over Zolatone", and here are my findings and STILL need some opinions ASAP...
Lacquer primer and paint is FOR SURE a solid way to go for durability! I used an air HVLP gun. I hit it with 120 on the DA, primed and painted within an hour. I had made my tests weeks ago and the lacquer bites into the Zolatone... Months ago I got a hold of the makers of Zolatone and they gave me the heads up... Testing with a scewdriver, of course it scratches, but it doesn't "chip away" (If you know what I mean).
But,,, one problem, lighting as spraying inside of a camper. There is practically no way to get good lighting across the ceiling, causing dry spots, even with proper thinners and retarders. For my bathroom and bedroom area, I'm going with it. The durability is most important anyways, but I'll give up the durability factor for a better looking finish in the livingroom/kitchen area...
So what to use in the Livingroom? I need to/prefer to use something I can roll on to hide a few chipped areas (So the texture matches more uniformly).
So,,, oil base? Or Exterior water based? I truly think water based will give me a better finish, but with temps and moisture deviations, I fear the water based (Latex) might run into problems and allow the moisture to gather between the Zolatone and the new Latex...
I can't think of any other options available to me that doesn't require a catalyzed product (I don't have the proper setup to spray these types of products at my shop, so it's not an option for me).
Any other thoughts or experience would be truly appreciated. I need to finish this part of the project up THIS WEEK! I really don't want to experiment to see what will last and what will peel off.
THANKS in advance!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
There’s a new Zolatone product called Flex which can be rolled on. I would think it would be compatible with the old Zolatone but a phone call to the company would answer that.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote