Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Sheenboro , Quebec
Painting interior vinyl?

I was wondering if anyone has had success painting the interior vinyl walls. If so what type of paint and application works best? I have read some threads on peeling the vinyl to the bare aluminum underneath, and am considereing that as well. Also, there are a lot of usless pop rivets in the ceiling and walls, some in clumps of 5 or 6 where there was some "searching" for the rib underneath. Any ideas on what to use to plug the holes after I drill out the old rivets?... something sandable or able to be made smooth?
Thanks.
James
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
There are several post in the forums here about painting the interior. I painted mine following what seems to be a well recommended procedure. I applied a couple of coats of shelac based primer (BINS or Kilz) and a couple of coats of a high quality interior latex paint. I used a satin gloss but think that I maybe should have used something slightly glossier. Its mostly a question of taste though. As far as filling holes I think that a little bit of automotive repare Bondo would be a good choice. I think you could probably do about as well with a good grade of painters caulk. My thought would be to sort of texture it to match the surroundings rather than sanding it.

Malcolm
Old 05-16-2007, 12:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Check out the following thread for some more painting information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f184...kin-31356.html

I list some details of what I did in post #10.

Malcolm