Old 09-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1969 31' Sovereign
1967 26' Overlander
Alex , Oklahoma
I to have the cardboard wood grain look front on my frig. I was going to Home Depo to see what type of Alumn sheeting they have. A lot of the older home frigs, ovens, stoves, dishwashers have removeable fronts. I was going to check with someone who has old appliances and see if they have removeable fronts that I may cut and fit my frig. I know our old horse trailer frig I took the front off and covered it with Route 66 wall paper it really looked great, although the front was metal not cardboard. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

1969 Sovereign 31'
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
For the fridge in my '74 Tradewind I used the laminate used on my counter tops... just removed the panels on the front of the fridge by removing the screws in the little strips of plastic with the Dometic name on it... cut the correct size laminate and vioila!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Cabinets 006.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	44388  

pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Another idea for the front of the fridge are these squares that are supposed to look like the old pressed tin ceiling tiles. They're plastic but they really look like metal. They are exactly the right size to put 2 of them on the front of the fridge. I really considered doing that with mine because they are so cool, but decided it might be too busy with the rest of the stuff I was doing so I just faux painted it to match the fake wood faux painting. The tiles were at Lowe's and it seems like they were $8.
Airylle 1972 Safari featured for 5 nanoseconds in the movie Wild Hogs

Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Gabriola , BC
Wow- I'm so glad I joined this site. I was having a really hard time getting inspired, and now I'm all gung-ho! My husband kept telling me that it should be kept original for resale value, but it seems that isn't true- am I right? I don't think the resale value is great on this model anyway (73 Overlander- rear bathroom) so I might as well pretty it up as best I can. I think it would have to be in pristine shape to be worth keeping original, and it definitely isn't, inside or out. Do you agree?

Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Gabriola , BC
Oh, and just so y'all know, this was my husband's trailer before I even met him. He bought it in the late 90's for $1000. and lived in it for a year in Whistler, B.C. while he was working there. He brought it to the island with him in 2001 and it has sat in his yard ever since, sadly neglected. I came along in 2002, but we did little with it for several years apart from me cleaning the inside every spring. We mostly just used it for overflow storage and a spare bedroom for my son's friends occasionally. It didn't leak until about 2 years ago when he pressure washed it (bad mistake, I know). Now I am starting to appreciate what a cool thing it is, and would love to make it not only useable but beautiful again. We have been offered up to $8000.00 for it, even in the deplorable condition it is in, but have never been able to part with it. Maybe we're crazy, but I guess we love the big ol' thing. My dream is to see it parked permanently on a lakeside lot somewhere.....

Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I used the aluminum metal wallpaper, and it looks good, although if I was to do it over I would use additional contatct cement as mine bubbled up on some spots, and had to be reglued. I covered the vinyl walls the p.o. had painted.
Its aluminum with a small pattern on it embossed.
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #21
1973 23' Safari
Los Angeles , California
Your AS looks great! I am in the middle of a remodel on a 73' Safari and I am ready to paint. I want to paint the walls (which are vinyl) and the remaining cabinetry that is in there (faux wood). As far as I can tell the fake wood veneer is plastic and I don't think it will peel off if I primer and paint over it. I have looked up many sites to see what I should use and there is A LOT of conflicting information.

Blu_Hwy_Lady, I am wondering what you used? The exact products you used, amounts of coats and how you prepped would be amazing and helpful information. Thank you so much and hope to hear from you soon.

safairi is offline   Reply With Quote