Old 08-24-2005, 04:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Originally Posted by jsmith351
Wood filler on plastic? Hey I'll try anything once, but maybe Bondo would be a better chioce? Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try this first.
I wouldn't use wood filler on plastic. It doesnt have any ability to chemically bond to the plastic. It might last for a while but it will shrink and probably fall out. The paint might hold it in place, but not for long. Bondo or another catalyzed product would be a better choice. Even a good quality urethane caulk would be better.

jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Tiger Hair

Once upon a time, there was a fiber-filled catalyzed product that was made to make body repairs on Corvettes and fiberglass-hulled boats called Tiger Hair. It would be ideal to repair the cracks and splits in the fiberglass interior end caps. It worked better than fiberglass mat, was easier to apply, and easier to form with sanding tools. It (or a modern equivalent) should be readily available from automotive body repair supply outlets.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
"I wouldn't use wood filler on plastic. It doesnt have any ability to chemically bond to the plastic."

The wood filler will be one year old next month and will have travelled over 8000 miles in its original patches on our motorhome. On our trailer it has been even longer and I have not heard from the fastidious new owner, nor seen any ridiculing posts on this forum about my patches. Let me clarify that I use this only for the rivet and screw holes and not large holes. I am not a chemist, just a curious theologian but I think wood filler is more like a liquid plastic before it dries. After it it is dry it feels like plastic and not wood. I have used it both on the plastic, laminate, and metal areas of my trailer and motorhome with good results. And like the latex paint it is very hard to wash off where you have spilled it. I accidentally dropped some on my floor tile and had a devil of a time getting it off.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
painting over zolatone

I'm curious about painting the interior of my Globetrotter. The Zolatone is in pretty good shape, just kind of a dank color. I had thought about overspraying with something off white which would allow some of the original color to come through, but be lighter. I also looked at some Ralph Lauren paints that are sort of like stippled and textured like Zolatone... does anyone know of some kind of thin paint or stain to spray (or sponge or wipe) over the existing Z tone for a similar look but updated?

Wherever you go, there you are
Globie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
New Pics posted

I finally have some pics posted of my new interior paint. I am very pleased with the results both for durability and asthetics. I am going to add some contrast colors over the winter. Like the rest of you I attract curious onlookers who would like to see inside and they all ask if the interior plastic is all new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	14915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 024.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	14916  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 034.jpg