Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #61
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by todanielm View Post
Hi Jim,

Did Dwight ever give you a brand name in response to your post on 8/25/2009?......

I'm trying to figure out the "correct" primer for my interior walls on my 1974 Trade Wind. I'm also trying to figure out whether or not to apply latex paint over the "correct" primer for my "spewing" flexible pvc interior walls.

Boy, I'd sure appreciate any enlightenment you might have on this sticky matter! Feel free to email me at: tojunk@att.net if you like (or anyone else reading this post). Thanks.

Daniel
No, Dwight never did answer that question.

Take a look thru my http://www.airforums.com/forums/f226...nte-15132.html thread and you can see how I did it. Use the search feature in the thread so you don't have to wade thru it all.

There are several members here ( I found after painting with the SW products) that used oil based primers and paints with good results. You might send them a PM after you locate their posts and ask specifics. From what I've read, Oil based coatings looks like a much better idea, from a longevity standpoint.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #62
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
So does this mean if we keep the Albatross in the frozen northland, our paint job will be safe?
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
So does this mean if we keep the Albatross in the frozen northland, our paint job will be safe?
I don't recall seeing anything mentioning the *sticky wall* issue is a factor on the local of the trailer ... but certainly post your results - whatever they may be! My walls are still sticky in areas not covered with polycrylic. But those that were are tack-free! Yay.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:34 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
My long term testing of flexible PVC formulations, similar to the formulations used for the laminate covering on the inside of 1970 and 1980's Airstream Trailers. was done for medical grade PVC formulations and not targeted to trailers. In my testing spewing was a function of long term heat ageing. Long term storage at higher temperatures cause greater degradation and spewing. My testing was conducted to help me formulate improved PVC formulations to minimize the spewing. I did no testing of coating systems to cover up the problem. AT Johnson/Evinrude Outboard motor Co, I did testing for paint durability, but did not have any applications where we had to contend with spewing PVC formulations.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #65
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Like Laura, I've had good results with the poly top coat. It's been over a year now and still no sticky coming back thru the top-coat poly. The entire interior was top-coated over a year ago.

Again, tho, it was a difficult process. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with oil based paints. YMMV.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
My long term testing of flexible PVC formulations, similar to the formulations used for the laminate covering on the inside of 1970 and 1980's Airstream Trailers. was done for medical grade PVC formulations and not targeted to trailers. In my testing spewing was a function of long term heat ageing. Long term storage at higher temperatures cause greater degradation and spewing. My testing was conducted to help me formulate improved PVC formulations to minimize the spewing. I did no testing of coating systems to cover up the problem. AT Johnson/Evinrude Outboard motor Co, I did testing for paint durability, but did not have any applications where we had to contend with spewing PVC formulations.
My tackiness appeared within a few months - after one of our coldest winters.

But, if the tackiness (spewing?) is greatly affected by heat and time, I am skrewed! Well, unless I get that job in Wyoming, and quickly!
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:39 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Franklin , Tennessee
Reviving very old thread

Ok, I know I am reviving a very old thread... But, I am in the planning stage of my AS and looking into painting the walls, end caps, and ceilings in our 1991 Excella.

After reading through this thread I wanted to see what the conclusion was on the best paint? Oil based primer and paint?

Anyone on this thread still own the AS and if so, how has the paint held up over the years? Any info for long term paint success? Thanks
Adventure TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:49 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
As noted earlier in this thread, I pre-primed with XIM plastic primer, primed with Xinsser oil-based primer and painted with latex. I haven't noticed any stickiness, however, we did cover the ceiling with knotty pine and the end caps with button upholstery so there isn't much exposed painted surface. Our Airstream also is a '67 so I'm not sure if what we did would work on a '91.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote