Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2004, 09:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Rivet Padded fabric on the walls (rear bedroom)

I have a 1987 29' Sovereign w/ twin beds. On the walls running the length of each bed their is a strip of padded fabric about 1' tall X 8.5' long. I removed it and found that it is actually just some type of paper/cardboard that has foam and fabric sewn to it.

My question is....has anybody replaced these pieces before and if so what did they use? I like the padding beside the beds but the old fabric just does not match the new curtains so they've got to go.

If anyone has pictures of a remodel they've done or advice on what material to use instead of the cardboard/foam/material I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

The reason for the padded, upholstered cardboard is that it needs to be very lightweight to attach easily to the compound curves and the back.

We used a very heavy, but short napped carpet remnant. I cut it, then had the edges bound. You will need a pattern as any carpet will need a "V" cut at the rear corner to make the turn. If you start with the upper edge cut on a straight line, this will, in turn, cause the upper edge to head downhill. Try it first with a paper patten and you will see what I mean.

You can, of course, upholster another piece of cardboard - it really is a very rational solution to a tricky fitting problem.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 04:59 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
When we redid the MH I reused the padded pieces. All I did was cover over the existing fabric and cardboard with some polyfelt and then some of the matching fabric we were using. I used contact cement spray glue to hold it all in place. The screws to hold it to the wall mechanically fasten it all together. I have done it that way in 2 coaches so far and it has worked well.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:49 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Me too

I recovered the original pieces.
You can duplicate pattern without "Notches". The cardboard is not Square, it is shaped with a slight curve. If you lay it flat , you will see what I mean.

You can see it below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1250075.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	5105  
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Ours shares the same vinyl/leather like material that covers my barrel chairs and other trim now.
Gave the bedroom area a more modern look than the old 80's fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5inside2-med.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	5112  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Talking

WE REPLACED SOME OF THAT SAME TYPE WALL COVERING ON A 1981 EXCELLA AND WE USED A SHORT PILE COMMERCIAL GRADE CARPET....WORKED GREAT!
ke4pk is offline   Reply With Quote