Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
As others have noted - "she wants" in our family equates to "we want"
...'cause if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Boy Shari, you've got that right.............how did you know?

Barry

Old 07-17-2007, 06:12 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
I think I’m beginning to see a common theme here, I believe it’s based on a verse in the bible, the one my wife reminds me of time to time. It goes something like this“ Thine Wife is always right”
Old 07-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Now you are catching on. But we forget. Often. Then we have to relearn it again. While we were being taught what we thought were practical things in shop class in school, like how to rebuild an engine, build a table or desk, or shoe shine box, the girls were learning how to be right with every decision, how to properly convey that message to their future husbands, and how to get even if he didn't listen. And get even, and get even and so on. I still think it wasn't fair. We should have been taught how to play deaf and all the other tactics one needs to survive when the wife is right.

Barry
Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Wow!

Did you say that your wife brought up the subject of " having to buy an Airstream" and that she even has a favorite model?? You mean you won't have to hide it from her after you buy it until she figures out she wants (or gives in to your wanting) one? WOW! Run over to that dealership and get whatever she wants! Don't pass Go (but you may want to grab the $200 -your gonna need it).
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Keeping cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRoffe
We just returned from a 19 day road trip - part of it spent near Lake Shasta when it was 114 - again Sam's parents were with us and ours was harder to keep cool.
Robyn
While I've never owned a CCD, or Safari, I have owned a 31' Classic that was more than warm inside on more than one occasion. If you are going to order your CCD, you should check to see if you have the option to upgrade your AC to a 15k BTU unit.

When we ordered my wife's 34' Classic we opted for two AC's. A 13k unit in the bedroom and a 15k unit in the living room. Problem solved. We've camped in New Mexico during the summer when it was over 100* outside. The inside cooled down to 78* in a really short period of time, and stayed cool until we left. The extra $800 was a very worthwhile expenditure.

_______Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebb
Did you say that your wife brought up the subject of " having to buy an Airstream" and that she even has a favorite model?? You mean you won't have to hide it from her after you buy it until she figures out she wants (or gives in to your wanting) one? WOW! Run over to that dealership and get whatever she wants! Don't pass Go (but you may want to grab the $200 -your gonna need it).
Yeah, George, I think quite a few of us have been re-reading that part of the post and not quite believing what it says. He doesn't have to do any of the subliminal message thing like leaving brochures laying about the house, pointing out the Airstreams going down the road and noting how sophisticated the owners look relative to those towing SOB's, softening her up for the price shock when they hit the dealer, and even suggesting they look at Bambi's and then cautiously working her over to the big boys once they are in the showroom. He obviously married very well.....

Barry
Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Now you are catching on. But we forget. Often. Then we have to relearn it again. While we were being taught what we thought were practical things in shop class in school, like how to rebuild an engine, build a table or desk, or shoe shine box, the girls were learning how to be right with every decision, how to properly convey that message to their future husbands, and how to get even if he didn't listen. And get even, and get even and so on. I still think it wasn't fair. We should have been taught how to play deaf and all the other tactics one needs to survive when the wife is right.

Barry
Well said Barry. Not being a sports fan, I can't even claim "football ear" and "wife ear", though I'm fortunate (?) that I lost a good portion of my hearing playing clarinet and saxophone in Army bands for so many years... (damned trumpet players)

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We checked out the new units a month or so ago…we both agreed IF we were in the market right now for a new AS (we’re not) it would be the 27 FB. Really loved the layout; walk around bed, dual closets, etc.
We like the amenities of the Classics, and I like having the bigger tanks (these are very similar to our Excella), but that FB layout…very practical/comfortable!

Bill
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
The bare aluminum walls are what make it such a unique trailer. i think the CCD will hold value much better than other configurations.
DC
Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Quote:
Yeah, George, I think quite a few of us have been re-reading that part of the post and not quite believing what it says. He doesn't have to do any of the subliminal message thing like leaving brochures laying about the house, pointing out the Airstreams going down the road and noting how sophisticated the owners look relative to those towing SOB's, softening her up for the price shock when they hit the dealer, and even suggesting they look at Bambi's and then cautiously working her over to the big boys once they are in the showroom. He obviously married very well.....

Barry
This is Lois/Jean (Hank's/Bill's wife). Yes, I do say he married well. VERY well!

Now bear in mind that **I** was the one who talked him into the bass boat and the diesel truck he pined over for years on end! He's an engineer and he tends to "overthink" things -- me? I'm a marketing person and fly by the seat of my pants... you know, "act now and beg forgiveness later?"

Oh well...

My concern is the upholstery on the walls. I don't want it dirty, smelly, and yucky over time. Housework is not one of my virtues (if you catch my drift) nor is it hubby's. And with the size of these trailers we can't afford the space for live-in help...LOL!

So there you go, that's our question and we welcome your feedback! Your answers are great... some are even entertaining! I think we'll like this group!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #26
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankandLois
This is Lois/Jean (Hank's/Bill's wife). Yes, I do say he married well. VERY well!

Now bear in mind that **I** was the one who talked him into the bass boat and the diesel truck he pined over for years on end! He's an engineer and he tends to "overthink" things -- me? I'm a marketing person and fly by the seat of my pants... you know, "act now and beg forgiveness later?"

Oh well...

My concern is the upholstery on the walls. I don't want it dirty, smelly, and yucky over time. Housework is not one of my virtues (if you catch my drift) nor is it hubby's. And with the size of these trailers we can't afford the space for live-in help...LOL!

So there you go, that's our question and we welcome your feedback! Your answers are great... some are even entertaining! I think we'll like this group!
Lois/Jean, congratulations on finding a perfect specimen. We Engineers are hard to pin down. On the other hand, my condolences on the Marketing career…perhaps you can seek early retirement?
Our 18 year old Excella sees lots of heavy, dusty use; we hike, mountain bike, kayak, and sometimes the Dog even lets us in to shower. I will let you know when the interior starts to get dirty, smelly, and dusty. Should be sometime soon. Other than that we will continue with occasional vacuuming, wiping walls, etc. when back home.

L-I-H
(aka;Bill)
Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Lois and Hank,

Funny, we were just having a conversation with our local dealer (Bill Thomas Camper Sales) about the Ocean Breeze vs. the Classic. As dog owners and people who also don't like to be cleaning a great deal while camping, we always look at trailer interiors with the idea of what would hold up over time and be easy to maintain. We were having the conversation inside a 2007 30' Classic on his lot, which was a beautiful trailer with a great floor plan. He also had a 25' SS Ocean Breeze on the lot at the same time, and that trailer felt much hotter to us on that 90-degree day.

He told us a couple of things I didn't know. The fuzzy wall material on the Classics is a heavy-duty automotive grade material that can be vacuumed with a beater bar, and they have very, very rarely seen a case where that material is permanently stained. If it is, that section can be cut out and a new section spliced in; according to him, the nap of the material renders the repair invisible.

A Classic can also be ordered with vinyl throughout, eliminating the cleaning and maintenance associated with carpet.

My concerns with the Ocean Breeze would be damage to the aluminum walls and to the laminates. Over time - and when exposed to significant temperature and humidity changes - the adhesive on the laminates may fail around the edges. I've noticed in a couple of Ocean Breezes and Signature Series CCDs that the edgebanding around the doors sometimes peels up, and if the laminate wasn't cut perfectly at the factory, chips appear that may get worse over time.

The Villa couch on the 30' Classic was incredibly comfortable - more so than the bench cushions on the Front Bed model lounges - and the bathroom, bedroom, and galley seemed more spacious. But the rear panoramic windows on the FB are great, too.

It's a tough decision - the Ocean Breeze and Classic are our favorites as well. But for not a great deal more money, the Classic offers disc brakes, a gas/electric water heater, cedar-lined closets, upgraded fixtures, ultraleather as an option, and Corian countertops and hickory cabinets that stand up better over time. The 30' Classic on the Thomas lot seemed like a lot of trailer and a good value (as Airstreams go). Good luck with your search - I don't think you can go wrong with either!

Molly