Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
Red face odor control

i have to get this odor out or wife will not go in the camper. i plan to drop the belly pan. is it recommended that i replace the wall insulation. really hope not. want to get on the road.
has anyone put one of those inline water heaters in an AS
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
On my GT ,I needed to replace the floor,so I had to remove the lower wall panels.It amazed me the mice would tunnel so far up the wall insulation.I removed all the exposed insulation,tore out the floor ,cut out belly pan from the top ,then brought in the pressure cleaner.I think I have gotten rid of the smell by now.As far as the tankless w.h.,I`m still trying to find one that will fit my application with the original cover.Good luck on the smell. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
What kind of smell is it - bad or just that old trailer smell.

Our trailer was dirty - not filthy - when we bought it and had no evidence of mice - likely due to the prior owners. It was washed once with simple green and then again with pinesol lemon scent - the fake wood was cleaned with orange glo. The bedding/wall pads are new - the drapes are new the sofa was cleaned - the carpet was removed and the wood washed where new vinyl was put in. The tambour tracks were cleaned... etc. etc.

Yet the trailer still has a musty smell when it's been closed up. It goes away quickly but it drive me nuts. I finally decided to tackle it again - having come to the conclusion that it smells like an old home where the wood has absorbed years of odors.

All of the raw wood shelving that was stained originally is being painted rustoleum kona brown so it kinda matches what was there. Every other piece of raw wood I can reach including under the beds is - the support for the closet shelves , etc. will be cleaned again (scrubbed with pinesol) then let dry and sprayed heavily with Oust anti bacterial.

There was a trunk project I worked on today so I tackled that area - two hours on the project and three hours cleaning. Even to the point of getting a small head flex mop and cleaning back between the tub and the tub wall. Up behind the lettering and to the sides was just nasty dirty. The wood under the back tub edge and under the battery support was gross.

I know some have rodent issues and we all have had water issues - but I've convinced myself that the raw wood is a big contributor to that general musty smell.

Not sure if that helps you any - or I just need to rant.... I'll let you know how it works. Good luck with the other half and your odor problem!
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Your Airstream has nearly 14,000 days & nights history... Don't read further if you just want a quickee camper. Okay, pull off the kid gloves...

I had mouse dung dunes in the duct work. The uric acid from the incontinent little squirts had grown sculptures of oxidation in the sheet metal. Banishment from the interior was the only recourse, to be acid washed and allowed to weather under the stars for a few months.

Get on roof and check the plumbing vent tube(s) extend above the vent stack gasket, oh; and that the vent gasket is still there. The black plastic pipe is held up by obliquely placed band clamps that did not hold mine up, somewhen that first Dukes of Hazard hop let it settle down and left the tank venting inside (eww) well offset from the shell port and without fail somewho never caught on, bless their little pointy head.

My '73 had spilled formaldehyde black tank chemical in the galley shelves, and seepage from rotten commode mounts. The formic acid byproducts of the old style tank chemicals are nasty, we washed every available interior surface and it still stung eyes and throat.

Pull the bathroom panels and you'll be amazed when you take out panels the amount of gunk living on the hidden areas.

Pull the carpets. Paint bare floor to smother smells, leave a gap around the interior liners to spot water seeps and allow it to dry. Everyone like the smell of paint, right?

Its been two years and my trailer still isn't done - there are some nice posts about what I have done, I invite you to read them, there is more odor control stuff scattered about in them and I now disgusted myself again so I'm out for now....