Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
OceanAir Shades?

I am done with the aluminum mini blinds and am intending to install Ocean Air shades into my 2012 28ft FC. Question I have to the forum...what is the recommend fabric and the hold down for which they offer three different types. I am pretty sure AS is installing these shades in their new Internationals but have not seen them in person so...looking for someone that has?
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The Ocean Air company has apparently come out with more choices than they used to have. My 2012 uses the "toggle" to hold down the shade. The pegs look simpler, but might pop loose in transit. For anyone with arthritic fingers either the pegs or the mini-grip would probably be easier than the toggle.

As for color - plain white was what Airstream uses - unless something has changed recently.

Paula
Old 09-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Springfield , Virginia
Gotta tell you the oceanair blinds fray on the sides if you don't put them up and down just right. They also stain easily if you get stink bugs!!
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Too funny! My trailer came with the Oceanair shades, and I recently replaced ALL of them with 1/2" aluminum mini blinds. I didn't like anything about the shades. Either they are open or closed. When they are closed they tend to reduce any airflow from open windows. Oh, and about the fraying. I was VERY careful with them after the first shade didn't roll straight and needed replacing. Well, the backing had also separated from the shade, and it looked like crap. The blinds (OTOH), allow me to attenuate the light. I recently saw a post where someone used magnets as hold-downs for them (which I have copied). When you check out the price of new Oceanair's you may want to reconsider.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We put day/night shades in our '07 and moved them (and a few new ones) to our '14.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
[QUOTE=Wayne&Sam;1507078]We put day/night shades in our '07 and moved them (and a few new ones) to our '14.

How do they look? Any pictures? Where did you purchase and how did you install them?
We have a 20 ft FC and I'd like to replace the two blinds over the dinette.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have had the mini-blinds in our two Airstreams over the last five years and our only complaint was the flimsy plastic clips they attach to at the bottom.

So I replaced them with magnets and have nothing to complain about. I think they look terrific and really like the ability to control the light and view.

Too bad about Airstream using shades on the new ones; maybe because they cost them less and easier to install on the assembly line.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Got the day/ night shades from oemshades.com

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
I see so many posts about problematic window coverings. We have the aluminum blinds in our our 2014 and while I don't mind the living area ones, the bedroom ones get knocked around a bit as we sleep (we have twin beds and the windows are very close to us as we sleep.)

Soooo... I cants help but wonder why any window covering wouldn't work. As in, any option that is available for home use. I understand the issue with the curvature of the walls but that same issue is present with the blinds.

What does everyone here know that I can't seem to figure out? Why can one not put a regular roller blind, cellular blind or roman shade on their windows? Especially with the magnet solution that I am hearing about?

If I only had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had a puppy.
LucaBluPlus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Carrie, use the magnet solution on your blinds and you will like them better. But yes, I like the mini blinds in the living space very much but they are less than ideal in the bedroom where we also have a wrap-around pano window.

I have thought of using a very dark window tint over those bedroom side windows, enough for privacy at night if there is anything that dark?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
What kind of magnets did you use? Sorry if I missed an earlier post.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
Thanks Doug, I too have considered a window tint. In the meantime I will try the magnet solution. Anyone have a good source/how-to? Drew05 and inquiring minds want to know.

For future reference, still curious why I can't use a 'for the home' roller blind. Anyone?

If I only had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had a puppy.
LucaBluPlus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Window Coverings

I really do like the OceanAir shades. You do have to be a bit careful To let them go up straight. The fraying on the edges hasn't been a problem but I imagine that children who just let'em fly - could be a problem. I had one or two threads that I simply singed off with a hot soldering iron. As for having them half way open - well hook them under the window operators!
The web page also indicates that they now offer "peg" hold downs that hold the ends of the small tube at the bottom of the shade... I don't see a reason why you couldn't use a set of these for an additional half way open point.

My old safari had venetian blinds which didn't darken the bedroom as well and were constantly in need of cleaning. That's 5 to 15 minutes a blind with one of those finger blind cleaners.

The 2005 CCD's did use home window blinds which are far less expensive. The only problem was that the rollers are hollow WOOD and when they are hooked down the roller starts to bow or warp in the middle. The solution is to unstaple the blind from the roller, rotate it 180 degrees and restaple. It'll then start to bow in the opposite direction.

You can absolutely put roman shades, etc. in your Airstream. You do have to consider the gap that can happen because of the curve of the wall. Try a forum google search on "valences" or "custom curtains".

Paula
Old 09-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
the kids will ruin any sort of window covering

Actually, our problem with the blinds was due to our boston terrier. I did not see it coming for some reason.

If/when she is in the camper and we are outside sitting or something for any length of time, she would be up looking out those dinette windows and if the blinds were down, she would paw at them to see us...she pretty much destroyed those two blinds in a short period of time on our last trip and the kids have bent them a tad a couple times, but it was not really damaging them.

We will have these fixed and just put up blinds...luckily she did not scratch at the screens on those windows. She is a very good dog and has not damaged anything, scratched or bit or chewed anything...except this little slip up....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We replaced the side window blinds w the Ocean Air shades in the bedroom to provide better darkening for sleeping. Works fine, and as stated easy to place it half way on the window operators. A little fraying even being very careful, what do you expect for a lot of $$$. In retrospect, I think getting regular shades for 25% of Ocean Air would be a good option. However, they are usually very long, so that may be the reason they are not used in RV's very often.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
window blinds are custom cut to any length at any window coverings shop. Plus there are some neat custom ones, OR you can actually laminate any not-too-thick fabric to an iron on backing and MAKE your own blind, then just staple it onto the roller. Make a bottom pocket for the rail, and add fringe, or scallops or any decorative edging you want.

A valance box can hide the roller, and run down the sides of the window to block out light from the sides if you want to go to the extra work. Balsa wood should work, and can be covered with fabric, or for the wood look use a 1/4 inch veneer of your choice. (OF COURSE you can make it out of aluminum if you have the riveting skills...)

Paula
Old 11-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
PO probably left a few windows open in the rain, several of ares have water damage on the bottom of the shade. I was going to replace them, until I got online and scoped the price for just one shade! HOLY MOLY! Think I'll live with the wrinkles.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
See my Post 4 above...I have a complete set of OceanAir's that fit a 28' Intl CCD. I sold the trailer and new owner didn't want the OceanAir's. If anyone is interested....PM me.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
In our previous AS we put in the same curtains that are in the front windows, using a top and bottom slider. Not cheap, but worked exceptionally well. IN this one the 2015 we have the pull down shades which we will probably replace, at least in the bedroom with the curtains.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I have a complete set of metallic blinds out of a 28ft FC (2012). Someone make me an offer on them!
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote