Old 09-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
We replaced the side window blinds w the Ocean Air shades in the bedroom to provide better darkening for sleeping. Works fine, and as stated easy to place it half way on the window operators. A little fraying even being very careful, what do you expect for a lot of $$$. In retrospect, I think getting regular shades for 25% of Ocean Air would be a good option. However, they are usually very long, so that may be the reason they are not used in RV's very often.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
window blinds are custom cut to any length at any window coverings shop. Plus there are some neat custom ones, OR you can actually laminate any not-too-thick fabric to an iron on backing and MAKE your own blind, then just staple it onto the roller. Make a bottom pocket for the rail, and add fringe, or scallops or any decorative edging you want.

A valance box can hide the roller, and run down the sides of the window to block out light from the sides if you want to go to the extra work. Balsa wood should work, and can be covered with fabric, or for the wood look use a 1/4 inch veneer of your choice. (OF COURSE you can make it out of aluminum if you have the riveting skills...)

Paula

Old 11-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
PO probably left a few windows open in the rain, several of ares have water damage on the bottom of the shade. I was going to replace them, until I got online and scoped the price for just one shade! HOLY MOLY! Think I'll live with the wrinkles.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
See my Post 4 above...I have a complete set of OceanAir's that fit a 28' Intl CCD. I sold the trailer and new owner didn't want the OceanAir's. If anyone is interested....PM me.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
In our previous AS we put in the same curtains that are in the front windows, using a top and bottom slider. Not cheap, but worked exceptionally well. IN this one the 2015 we have the pull down shades which we will probably replace, at least in the bedroom with the curtains.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #20
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I have a complete set of metallic blinds out of a 28ft FC (2012). Someone make me an offer on them!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
window shades from IKEA

I bought these room darkening TUPPLUR shades at IKEA. Around $20 each. They are such an improvement over the pull around curtains. I fitted the whole trailer, including the door, using standard sizes. They can be trimmed for width at home, but I only had to adjust the one at the back window. Very nice quality vinyl, and the hardware comes with end caps to finish off the installation. They also come with nice plastic pulls that have a hole to put your finger in to pull down. I made up some posts with s/s screws, nylon washers, and some hollow tubing - you slip the pull over the post and it holds it against the wall to counter the sloping interior. A great deal. IKEA.com
We liked them so much that we bought them, in gray, for our bedroom windows at home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	229427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	229428  

Old 12-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Too funny! My trailer came with the Oceanair shades, and I recently replaced ALL of them with 1/2" aluminum mini blinds. I didn't like anything about the shades. Either they are open or closed. When they are closed they tend to reduce any airflow from open windows.
This is one thing I had not considered about the Oceanair shades. But at the same time, I'm glad to not be cleaning dust off of blinds.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
LOL. We upgraded to OceanAir shades in the front of the trailer where my wife sleeps. She hated the silver blinds and thinks the rollers are more stylish. I kept the blinds in the back of the trailer for better airflow.

We both think each other is nuts. That's probably key to a good marriage...

Tom
Old 12-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
PO probably left a few windows open in the rain, several of ares have water damage on the bottom of the shade. I was going to replace them, until I got online and scoped the price for just one shade! HOLY MOLY! Think I'll live with the wrinkles.

The biggest mistake an owner of this quality TT starts with this thinking. There's a reason these trailers cost what they do as interior fit and finish is part of the high initial cost. I can pretty well tell a trailer that will need serious dollars by judging the interior.

Give yourself an annual re-fit budget even if not used every year. Some jobs cost thousands. The hard part is in meeting OEM spec for quality which is durability.

The day/night cellular shades on my Silver Streak were installed in 1989 and only now are wearing out. It will be quite expensive to replace them. Then add in custom curtains. Etc.

It's more expensive to do them more often. That said, I'm in favor of trying to repair. But only once.

from the AIRphone
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Did this I stallTio. Require drilling more holes in your Airstream?
Old 02-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
I bought these room darkening TUPPLUR shades at IKEA. Around $20 each. They are such an improvement over the pull around curtains. I fitted the whole trailer, including the door, using standard sizes. They can be trimmed for width at home, but I only had to adjust the one at the back window. Very nice quality vinyl, and the hardware comes with end caps to finish off the installation. They also come with nice plastic pulls that have a hole to put your finger in to pull down. I made up some posts with s/s screws, nylon washers, and some hollow tubing - you slip the pull over the post and it holds it against the wall to counter the sloping interior. A great deal. IKEA.com

We liked them so much that we bought them, in gray, for our bedroom windows at home

I bought the same ones in grey, best value out there !! Had mine for two years so far.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
I've used a black one of these for my bedroom for a number of years, awesome buy for the price and does a great job of keeping the light out.
flaagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Linthicum , Maryland
Love our OceanAir shades

We just installed OceanAir shades on our Excella 88 Kitchen and Bathroom windows. So far I am really happy with them. I plan on installing more on the bedroom side windows and the back window.

We bought them from Zarcor and each came with all the options for hooking at the bottom. They also came with Pegs that you install on either the side of the window. You can hook the bottom bar of the shade under the pegs so the shade can be open 1/2 way (or less or more depending on where you install the pegs).

I had to find out about the pegs by going to the Oceanair website.