Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Mount Dora , Florida
No more mini-blinds

We have a 25' 2008 Safari SE. We love it but, boy, the mini blinds are driving me crazy. I don't like that they leave a big gap along the curve of the trailer. In particular the one at the head of the bed is the worst; can't get a night sleep without someone knocking it loose.

Please post pics if you have come up with a window covering solution that follows the curves of the trailer. I'm thinking something that snaps to the wall, but then how would they be in the 'up' position?

Thanks!
hedgebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The mini blinds are aluminum but the bottom rail is steel. Get the strongest magnets you can get from Home Depot used to hold kitchen cabinet doors shut. The small disc style that can be screwed to the wall just inside of the plastic clips about an inch on each side. They will hold.

The side gaps are a problem on mini blinds or shades. We haven't worried about it in over 30 months on the road, but you could make some side valances out of thin wood similar to the upper valance.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I installed cellular blinds in our 66 Tradewind and epoxied 3/4" thin magnets to a short piece of 1/2x1/2" angle aluminum that I riveted to the bottom of the window frame. I ordered the magnets from Amazon. Most of the bottom blind rails were steel and only one magnet was needed. Some rails were aluminum. In this case I epoxied one magnet to the bottom rail and one to the 1/2" angle aluminum. This has worked out fine for us. Here are two photos.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STA_2034.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	218768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2032.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	218769  

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Surrey , British Columbia
My 1971 Sovereign didn't have any blinds when I bought it and I improvised a quick solution that has worked so well I still have it 3 years later. I also used magnets and cut some thin plywood (wall panelling) to the shape of the window. The bottom of the wood rests on the locking latches for the window and magnets on either side hold the panel in place. While the wood panel is technically still straight it is so close to the window frame that very little light get's through. The magnets are from Lee Valley and include cup to hold the magnet and a steel washer that screws to the wood panel. When not in use the panels fit in the back of one of the closets. I still have drapes around the front as the curved windows would make it hard to fit a similar solution.

If I was to do it again I would probably extend the panels to include the lower window as well but it was a relatively inexpensive and fast solution (~$40 and 1 afternoon to cover all the side windows).

Wood Panel - Note the small washers to connect with the magnet.

Panel in Place - One of the washer and cups for the other window is visible. I re-used the original mounting holes for the screen but in some cases they did not all line up and had to re-drill holes to ensure that the panels fit on all windows.
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I have a 2012 FC and am done with the aluminum mini blinds....you to take them up when you travel for fear of marking the surface of the window, they get dirty, and the one on the bed is a pain everytime you hit it during the night. Airstream equips their new Internationals with Oceanair which is what I am switching to. I do however need some guidance on what fabic is preferred and the preferred type of hold down. They have three, 1) center thumb clip, 2) toggle, and 3) peg. Any recommendations?
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My 2006 Safari LS 23 only has blinds over the galley sink and in the bathroom. Curtains on all the rest. I like a dark trailer when sleeping and the curtains do very little to block the light. I made Reflectix covers for all the windows and overhead vents to block out light and also to block the sun for cooling purposes. Velcro is used for attachment.
This is a picture of the aft window over the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	219707  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote