Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
New Upholstery

Hey Gang,
I'm going to be needing some new upholstery and cushions. Was wondering how hard this is to do by meself. Is there a special cloth I should be looking for, other than a durable one? How about the foam cushioning?

Thanks for the help... again.
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
There are a lot of great threads here on upholstery, etc. I tried using the search and entered upholstery and cushions. It came up with a bunch of threads some of which are instructional, some just praising their new stuff. But that would be a start to getting more info on what you want to do.

If you are a person who already sews, has a machine that can handle a heavier fabric, then go for it. Usually when you go into a fabric store that has upholstery stuff they either offer classes in how to make seat cushions etc, or they have someone working their knowledgable enough to give you a few pointers. Be sure to use fabric that is made for upholstery. You want it to withstand the wear and tear of camping life and look good at the same time.

As far as where to find supplies...you can find a good deal of fabrics on-line. The list on Vintage Airstream was helpful to us in finding the fabric we wanted. VintageAirstream - Suppliers There are also links to online foam companies there. But we live in a place with limited resources, we had to order our fabric online. In Tampa, I'm sure you can find stores that would offer you the foam and fabric that you need for much cheaper. The shipping on large quanities of foam can out weigh the lower cost of the foam found online. So buy local whenever you can.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Thumbs up cushions

Hello Wardster, welcome to the forums,
I just replaced all the foam in my moho. I had a upholster use 4 in out door furniture foam. it's water proof not like the foam that was in my moho. the old foam was like a sponge and soaked up all SMELLS. the new style foam does not let any moisture in. had a neighbor put a baby on the bed of course it did what baby's do when the pamper was removed!! just pulled cover and washed & put back on..if it had been the old foam it would have had to be put outside to dry & air out for a day or 2..
hope that will help.
Bob
Old 12-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
The price of quality foam will shock you, but go for the best your wallet will allow. It will last longer and you"ll sleep and sit better.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Try This...

Wardster,

Take a look at this thread....Maybe it will help. I Will be happy to share any info I have. I know how daunting of a task this can be.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ion-28985.html

Kevo
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Here is the site I used. They were fairly simple to make. Box cushions free illustrated making instructions

Here is a good site for Fabric at great prices. They have name brands at discount prices. Fabric Guru
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote