New interior layout for Bambi
We made some changes to the interior of our 19' Bambi this year, and almost everything has now proven itself to be an improvement.
A long time ago we removed the valances above the drapes, this year we removed the drapes and replaced them with pull down shades. The shades from IKEA are room darkening, and come with caps that finish off the brackets, as well as pulls that act as bottom anchors. I made up and installed posts with a raised, nylon lip that you simply hook the pull over and they pull tightly against the slanted wall. Easier, cleaner, and darker than the pull-around, pleated original drapes. With the exposed wall space, the trailer looks and feels bigger inside than it did before.
We removed the dinette table, and made a U shaped couch by installing extended support rails on the fronts of the seats. We simply drop in a piece of MDF and one cushion to make a couch, two pieces and cushions to make a bed. No more compressing the seat backs into place. The fabric is a Crypton from Toto in Indiana. If we need a table, we set up a folding table I made up. It's smaller than the dinette, but not small enough. Also, the folding legs get in the way. So, a new, smaller table is in the works. The overall result, though, is an increase in floor space and usability for us - we walk in and sit down without having to squeeze into the dinette. Put your feet up, and you're more comfortable reading. If eating, take up the center cushion and use the MDF as a place to put glasses and plates, or double stack the center cushions against the window with a large tray on top. Voila, instant table for snacks, or for the cat to look out of the window.
We also replaced the shag-type carpet with sweepable low-pile carpet squares.
Years ago I replace the pebbled privacy glass in the door with tinted, tempered safety glass that you can see through, making a real window with a view, but making privacy hard to achieve. We used to velcro up a piece of fabric on the screen door, but now we've installed one of the pull down shades right on the head bump cushion, and installed a post on the screen door to catch and hold the bottom. Perfect.
All in all, we've modernized our old Bambi, and changed it to better fit our needs.
We removed the shag carpet tiles installed by the p.o., and put down low pile carpet squares that can be easily swept, and replaced if needed.