Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
New curtains

My wife came across this idea during a camping trip Fathers Day weekend. We're rebuilding a '74 Ambassador and she's shortening house curtains to use in the camper. We were trying to figure out how to attach them to the walls without doing something to big or ugly when she pulled out a picture hanging kit, and this is what we came up with. Get coated 1/8" cable and some of those crimp down ferrules (I believe that's what they're called, kinda like fishing weights). The little screw in eyes that you screw into the back of a picture frame will fit inside the center of a 1/8" rivet. If you can happen to find a rivet or two in the wall of your camper that's where you want it run the cable through and crimp down one end, punch down grommets in the top of your curtains and thread them on. Run the cable through the eyelet on the other side, pull the tension you want and crimp it down. Simple, cheap and easy. I'll try and attach a picture, is not real good, but maybe you'll get the idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2358801456.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	163311

Good thing is, if you don't like it or change your mind, just unscrew the eyelet and it's just another rivet in the wall.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
*sings* All in all your just another rivet in the wall....Catchy eh? Grin.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
First Airstream

1966 22' Safari
Brighton , Michigan
Curtain picture

Any chance you can get a closer picture of this picture wire? Also, are you attaching the same way at the bottom or is it not necessary. I am wanting to replace our curtains very soon...
LJ Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Green
Any chance you can get a closer picture of this picture wire? Also, are you attaching the same way at the bottom or is it not necessary. I am wanting to replace our curtains very soon...
I've currently been banished back to work, I'll make sure to try and get you some tonight and post them. In the meantime my wife is telling me it's 50 lb coated wire from Walmart.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
First Airstream

1966 22' Safari
Brighton , Michigan
Curtains

Thanks for the reply. I'll look forward to pictures. We're currently having new cushions made as well as a multitude of other repairs/upgrades and hope to camp in by Labor Day. I retired in January and highly recommend it...
Old 08-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Okay. Here is a different view of the wire and grommets

Name:	image-3305417284.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	165058

And here is a close up of the eyelet and rivet

Name:	image-65636982.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	165059

Nothing too fancy or too hard.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
First Airstream

1966 22' Safari
Brighton , Michigan
Thanks for the extra pictures. You're right it is a simple solution and I can't wait to get rid of the old pleated drapes!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
*sings* All in all your just another rivet in the wall....Catchy eh? Grin.
Cute......Pink Floyd....love the song....loye your song.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
New curtains!

I collected a whole bunch of souvenir vintage handkerchiefs off of ebay for cheap. Evidently people collected them on their vacation travels like we would collect bumper stickers. They have a very fifties vibe to them and although my trailer is a 1960, I think it has more of a fifties feel to it with it's pink bathroom sink(and toilet which unfortunately I had to toss). The problem was how to use them in the trailer. My sister "Reinergirl" and I brainstormed and came up with a perfect solution....curtains!! I needed them anyway and I wanted something light and bright to give us privacy but not gloominess to the trailer. "Reinergirl", being a jack of all trades and master to most, whipped them up in no time. If I need more darkness, I do have leftover reflectix cut to fit the window openings. She has an idea for the bottom of the curtains to keep them in place but that is for another visit!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030532.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	166769   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030497.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	166770  

Name:	P1030530.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	166771  
Old 08-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to chromis
I like that idea really "low profile"...

If you live near an Ikea they have some prefab stuff.. Nice Aluminium curtain tracks, stainless curtain wires, gathering tape, clips/hooks, and some roller skate looking curtain glides that just "fit" in 1960's campers, these don't get hung like the other option out there..

I used a wire one similar to below for my shower curtain and it worked great..

chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
We actually bought some "Airstream T Track curtain tabs" at a camping world to redo the front curtains. They were about a dozen a package and around $5.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
I like the look of your curtains! I Just finished washing my 13 year old examples. They came out ok, and smell a lot better. None of them are falling apart yet, so I'll live with the pleats a bit longer.

On that note, does anyone have any idea how to clean the day/night shades?

Happy streaming!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
First Airstream

1966 22' Safari
Brighton , Michigan
This is great info and I love the retro-looking hanky curtains. I did buy some of the clips from IKEA and they work really well in the existing tabs in my trailer but securing the bottom is giving me fits! I'll look at the wire track that IKEA has but I think it might stick out too far. Let me know if there are any other ideas out there...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to chromis
Ikea sells a sew on "gathering" strip that the clips fit in..

I made curtains with blackout fabric and a 60's looking pattern from Ikea..

Still need to figure out a good system to hold the curtains bottoms to the wall..

Guess I'm gonna rivet snaps and use vinyl straps like they did before.. Were they two peices? e.g. tie backs that snapped together ?
chromis is offline   Reply With Quote