Old 10-27-2003, 03:13 AM   #15
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
oops...and another Country heard from

I thought I'd get them both in side by side...For some reason, the American Flag wouldn't download. Since I'm sort of a "Duly"...I wanted them to be side-by-side... Drats! oh well.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:12 PM   #16
Herritt

1973 25' Tradewind
Victoria , BC
Canadian Flag

Cat, I must confest, I downloaded you flag for I though It was wonderful. I guess I should have asked first.

When are you coming over to Victoria? Love to give you the tour of my Airstream in person.

Herritt

Old 10-27-2003, 10:43 PM   #17
Herritt

1973 25' Tradewind
Victoria , BC
Measuring and pattern

stellablu,

Sorry for not getting back to you on your question about How to measure. Cat was right. drapes are 2 to 2 1/2 times the width of the window.

The pattern that I used with modifcations. Was 2 times the width. The basic pattern that I used for the instructions that I used to learn how to make pleats I found on this website or link.

http://www.conso.com/pdf_misc/Pinch.pdf

I made my pleats only double pleats. the pattern shows triple pleats. After all the double pleats were made I turn the curtins over and made single pleats in the center of each panel. Thus having double pleats in front and single pleats in the back. Like the organials were made. I used verco closures, and fasterns on the ends.

After making all my drapes I know why there so expensive to buy. It was a very time consumeing project. I'm sure it was 20 hours of works. At about $15.00 dollars hr. That $300.00 dollars saved in my pocket.

My drapes fit perfectly, and will provide many years of good use. I'm very fussy, I like quality, these are quality drapes.

Herritt
Old 10-31-2003, 02:27 AM   #18
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Per Hour

Herritt,
Try $35.00 per hour! I've had a business in the States where I've been getting that rate since 1996. I'm sure it's up to $40 now.
I'll be up to Victoria in April I think.
I have a member of my Yahoo Group who is going to the University there (she's from Ontario)...and another member from the Forum here... Ephriam (1977 Soveriegn). So, that's 4 of us who could meet for a spot of tea eh? Carole, Ephriam, You & me.
How FUN. I know Ephriam will still be there, and you,,,I just have to be sure I come up BEFORE Carole is finished with her classes and heads back to Ontario.
We'll keep in touch by PM, ok?
I want to check out that hyperlink you included, and I will.
Will you upload a photo of your finished drapes? Oh! were those the white ones shown before? I'm sorry, I'm sporting a very bad headache from spinal problems. I get a little "loopy" from it.
If you still have the flag, could you upload it to me at TinLizzy8131@yahoo.com ? --- Thanx.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:31 AM   #19
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Herritt,
We have the same ICON...
EXACTLY the same Canadian Flag! Hard to tell whose message is whose, for me with this headache.
Was the flag you tried to upload for me, an American Flag? Because I'd really like to find the TWO together, so I could have them both as my ICON.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Cool upholstery

does anyone know anything about upholstering a flip out sofa from 1993 Excella..we just brought home our "new" to us first time ever "airstream" yesterday...spent all day and last night cleaning it.. The more we cleaned the more that needed cleaning..anyway, the sofa looks awful and it is a flip up type..need a little direction here please, also the fiberglass shower, med cabinet and door latch coved are all yellowed. Have tried bleach, cleaner and boat hull cleaner.. they are lilghter but not white...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I guess now that we actually own an airstream we are officially airstreamers...yay...from the warm lowcountry of the south or it is supposed to be...was onlly 45 today..ugh...
Old 02-01-2004, 11:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
I dream of 45! We haven't been able to do anything. It's been below freezing for weeks, and near zero the last week.

What exactly do you need to know about recovering those cushions, and can you post pictures???

Thanks
Ron in st. Louis, MO
Old 02-02-2004, 03:42 AM   #22
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Couch Re-Upholstering

Hi Ron
MidWest FREEZING...are you warming up yet? It's 4 degrees today. (that's about 40f.)

For you and for Herritt, about the couch.

Didn't you see the photo of my yellow with black naugahyde re-upholstered couch (the black is on the buttons & piping)? It's in "my photos" on here. If you can't find it...write me privately at TinLizzy8131@yahoo.com, and I'll upload a copy to an eMail for you on my reply.
I have the stock Airstream swivel chair reupholstered too...in black with aqua coloured naugahyde covered piping. I also have photos of that. & I have a "Gaucho" couch, and I choose the "naugahyde" for 2 reasons..1) it's a retro fabric and goes well with the interior designs I've chosen, & 2) because it's a very strong fabric and will take years of abuse.
I did NOT do it myself.
I paid to have a local upholstery shop do it; I bought the Naugahyde myself and pre-paid for it, to have it drop-shipped to the uphostery shop.
The couch cost me approximately $500 including the material (including new padding)...and the chair cost a little over $350 for all of that. I am very happy with the results---just wish I'd picked a little less dramatic yellow for the couch (like Oprah's chairs).

THE CURTAIN TRACKS ARE STILL FOR SALE....IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!

Don't worry about copying my ICON Herritt, just try to help me find the American Flag to go with it...if you wouldn't mind..

........Cat
Old 02-02-2004, 07:03 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
upholstery

hi...well...I was sort of thinking of replacing the sofa but can't find anything anywhere that would work for the trailer...so maybe new upholstery would be a better option. I had hoped to get something that madeout into a larger bed. This flip back sofa only makes a 44" wide bed. If you had yours recovered what did it cost you, or are you handy dandy and did it yourself...45 is cold for here when we are used to a great deal better weather, supposed to rain today...no sun...
Old 02-02-2004, 08:36 PM   #24
Herritt

1973 25' Tradewind
Victoria , BC
upholstery

Well it's funny, I just brought home the cushions from my fwd dinnette today to start my upholstery job.

I just got back from Mazatlan, Mexico. I now I have camp fever after seening all the RV's down there. No airstreams though.

First I just did an upholstery job on my parents fiberglass trailer with great success over the holidays. Well it took me to days in all to do the dinnette and a couch.

My upholstery job will have piping etc, so it will take a little longer. The two peice folding couch I will do it after my four dinnette peices are done. I will have to take a closer look at the org. job on the couch and determine how to do it from there. I do not think it will be any problem. When I done I will post pictures and instructions.

Herritt
Old 02-03-2004, 06:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
couch

Ok, I am impressed. So do you want to do mine too...
poor me, I have tendonitis in my right hand and can not use a sizors without great pain. Actually I would do it but I have never done reupholstery only cushions, pillows. I looked at fabric yesterday and wow it is very expensive.
What I liked ran from $19.-$45. yard. Not sure the yardage yet, but I think it will be expensive, and this was an "outlet". Can't wait to see your pics...good luck...
Old 02-03-2004, 07:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I just did my curtains myself. After going to the outlet stores and finding fabric for upwards of $18/yd, I ended up getting this really nice Muslin fabric for $.99/yd. I doubled the thickness of it to use as a backing. I think they came out really good for my first sewing attempt, and the total cost for ALL the curtains was $35.00, and I have material left over, with which I am going to fabricate a sliding curtain in place of the nasty old accordian door.

I used a rod on the top and bottom. The curtain is threaded on the top rod, and just lays against the bottom rod with velcro so they can be pulled back and held in place.

The picture isn't that good, and the curtains do have bunched pleats. I did the night test, and you cannot see through them, and they do a good job of blocking the sun... as well as absorbing sound.

Next is doing the seat cushions on the couch!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c2.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	4688  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
hi...looks really nice...good work...
Old 02-04-2004, 07:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Vintage trailer, vintage sewing machine. I borrowed this from my mother to do my curtains. She says it is almost 50 years old. Did a great job. Singer was like Airstream, although I believe they are no longer in business. I sound like a SOB owner talking about Airstreams!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sm.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	4704  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote