Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
robwok's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 788
Images: 35
New curtain ideas for pre '70s trailers. with pics!

We struggled with the original curtains. the top was pinch pleat and had those sharp hooks, and the bottoms had pinch hoops that went onto an elastic cord. The original cord was all weathered and stretched out.

So, my wife made new custom curtains, elected gathers instead of pinch pleats, and used new stainless j hook and the associated gather material we got off sailrite.com For the bottom, we used a color appropriate elastic shock cord, and electrical fittings very close to the original used. Then, plastic keychain hooks we got from Amazon in bulk. They're attached to the curtains using bridal looping. End result, no visible attachments at the bottom, the curtains hold back to the curve of the wall, and no chance of rust ever staining the curtains!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curtain.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	245843   Click image for larger version

Name:	loop.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	245844  

__________________

__________________
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
aquinob's Avatar
 
1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 776
Interesting use of materials. We have a friend that is making some new curtains for us right now. She reused the plastic tabs for the top, but the bottom will be rings for a new rod. We went out looking for a rod the other day and couldnt find anything with a silver finish.

How long do you think the shock cord will last? Is the bridal looping something you buy off the shelf?

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Bob

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
robwok's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 788
Images: 35
we could have reused the plastic ones at the top, but some were broken, and I didn't want issues with them being brittle. Not sure what the 73 looks like at the bottom. The shock cord should last for quite some time. I didn't stretch all the way, just about a 20% stretch. Bridal loop should be sold just about anywhere that would sell fabric, but my wife bought it, so not sure.

here's the paracord. Shielded against UV.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00
__________________
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
robwok's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 788
Images: 35
Wow Bob. Just checked your website. Some awesome work you've done on that trailer. very nice.
__________________
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
FreshAir's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,327
Images: 2
My wife and I finally decided to remove entirely the curtains in our '66 Trade Wind and install roller shades. The curtains that a PO had installed were dark and ugly, to us. Also the 'mechanics' of closing and opening of the curtains was annoying. The installed roller shades work just great. A dot of Velcro at the bottom center of each shade and the bottom of the windows help hold the shade to the slant of the windows. To give the shades some decorator touch I created a valence to cover the top and trimmed the windows with stained,matched to the wood trim in the trailer. Aaaah......pictures you ask. I'll take some soon and post them. for those interested.

Neil
__________________
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Avatar;
Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
robwok's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 788
Images: 35
That sounds great. We're keeping our trailer completely original as much as possible. The happy camper is an updated curtain theme, but curtains aren't as permanent as say the floor.

If I did a complete interior remodel, I'd probably go very different.
__________________
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
AirHounds's Avatar
 
1965 20' Globetrotter
Oro Valley , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Images: 6
Thanks for the post on curtain construction. We removed the curtain tracks in our '65 Globetrotter & tried custom aluminum slat mini-blinds. Not the perfect choice--they gap at the sides & bounce around when on the road even though they're clipped in at the bottom corners. We're going back to curtains, choosing to make them with Sunbrella fabric to withstand the hot Arizona sun. Sometimes you just have to make your own mistakes!
__________________
Scott & Patty
AirHounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
Tabasco's Avatar
 
1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 82
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
My wife and I finally decided to remove entirely the curtains in our '66 Trade Wind and install roller shades. The curtains that a PO had installed were dark and ugly, to us. Also the 'mechanics' of closing and opening of the curtains was annoying. The installed roller shades work just great. A dot of Velcro at the bottom center of each shade and the bottom of the windows help hold the shade to the slant of the windows. To give the shades some decorator touch I created a valence to cover the top and trimmed the windows with stained,matched to the wood trim in the trailer. Aaaah......pictures you ask. I'll take some soon and post them. for those interested.

Neil

Id love to see your roller shades. Contemplating a change in my 64 Tradewind. Thanks!
__________________
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
Tabasco's Avatar
 
1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 82
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
We struggled with the original curtains. the top was pinch pleat and had those sharp hooks, and the bottoms had pinch hoops that went onto an elastic cord. The original cord was all weathered and stretched out.



So, my wife made new custom curtains, elected gathers instead of pinch pleats, and used new stainless j hook and the associated gather material we got off sailrite.com For the bottom, we used a color appropriate elastic shock cord, and electrical fittings very close to the original used. Then, plastic keychain hooks we got from Amazon in bulk. They're attached to the curtains using bridal looping. End result, no visible attachments at the bottom, the curtains hold back to the curve of the wall, and no chance of rust ever staining the curtains!

Very creative! Are the plastic key chains you mention the oblong black pieces attached to the bridal cord?
__________________
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
robwok's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 788
Images: 35
Yes
__________________
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
1965 20' Globetrotter
Oak Ridge North , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
65 globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHounds View Post
Thanks for the post on curtain construction. We removed the curtain tracks in our '65 Globetrotter & tried custom aluminum slat mini-blinds. Not the perfect choice--they gap at the sides & bounce around when on the road even though they're clipped in at the bottom corners. We're going back to curtains, choosing to make them with Sunbrella fabric to withstand the hot Arizona sun. Sometimes you just have to make your own mistakes!
I would love to see how you remodled your GT! I have all the walls out and just finished the insulation! Looking for ideas!
__________________
Swimhard4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
AirHounds's Avatar
 
1965 20' Globetrotter
Oro Valley , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Images: 6
I've never posted pics on airforums, but would love to share what we've done with our GT. I'll look up the how-to's & try it later today. Thanks for your interest!
__________________
Scott & Patty
AirHounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
1965 20' Globetrotter
Oak Ridge North , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Thumbs up

Great, can't wait! Thanks for sharing!
__________________
Swimhard4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member
 
AirHounds's Avatar
 
1965 20' Globetrotter
Oro Valley , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Images: 6
Photos of our '65 GT

I'm trying to upload the photos, but I think there's a learning curve here. I appreciate your patience.
__________________

__________________
Scott & Patty
AirHounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'70s curtain track bracket question blickcd Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 10 02-12-2013 09:46 AM
Is it true that pre-1969 trailers..... sarasafari Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 16 11-26-2011 07:37 PM
Pics of 70s bunks ? aircooled4 Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings 0 09-22-2009 08:20 AM
curtain, curtain rods etc for 1968 soveriegn tvadman1963 Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 8 01-04-2009 04:25 PM
looking for Pre '70s Floor Plans... Julian Member Introductions 2 05-07-2007 07:34 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.