Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
New curtain ideas for pre '70s trailers. with pics!

We struggled with the original curtains. the top was pinch pleat and had those sharp hooks, and the bottoms had pinch hoops that went onto an elastic cord. The original cord was all weathered and stretched out.

So, my wife made new custom curtains, elected gathers instead of pinch pleats, and used new stainless j hook and the associated gather material we got off sailrite.com For the bottom, we used a color appropriate elastic shock cord, and electrical fittings very close to the original used. Then, plastic keychain hooks we got from Amazon in bulk. They're attached to the curtains using bridal looping. End result, no visible attachments at the bottom, the curtains hold back to the curve of the wall, and no chance of rust ever staining the curtains!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curtain.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	245843   Click image for larger version

Name:	loop.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	245844  

robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Interesting use of materials. We have a friend that is making some new curtains for us right now. She reused the plastic tabs for the top, but the bottom will be rings for a new rod. We went out looking for a rod the other day and couldnt find anything with a silver finish.

How long do you think the shock cord will last? Is the bridal looping something you buy off the shelf?

Thanks.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
we could have reused the plastic ones at the top, but some were broken, and I didn't want issues with them being brittle. Not sure what the 73 looks like at the bottom. The shock cord should last for quite some time. I didn't stretch all the way, just about a 20% stretch. Bridal loop should be sold just about anywhere that would sell fabric, but my wife bought it, so not sure.

here's the paracord. Shielded against UV.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00
Old 08-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Wow Bob. Just checked your website. Some awesome work you've done on that trailer. very nice.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
My wife and I finally decided to remove entirely the curtains in our '66 Trade Wind and install roller shades. The curtains that a PO had installed were dark and ugly, to us. Also the 'mechanics' of closing and opening of the curtains was annoying. The installed roller shades work just great. A dot of Velcro at the bottom center of each shade and the bottom of the windows help hold the shade to the slant of the windows. To give the shades some decorator touch I created a valence to cover the top and trimmed the windows with stained,matched to the wood trim in the trailer. Aaaah......pictures you ask. I'll take some soon and post them. for those interested.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
That sounds great. We're keeping our trailer completely original as much as possible. The happy camper is an updated curtain theme, but curtains aren't as permanent as say the floor.

If I did a complete interior remodel, I'd probably go very different.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thanks for the post on curtain construction. We removed the curtain tracks in our '65 Globetrotter & tried custom aluminum slat mini-blinds. Not the perfect choice--they gap at the sides & bounce around when on the road even though they're clipped in at the bottom corners. We're going back to curtains, choosing to make them with Sunbrella fabric to withstand the hot Arizona sun. Sometimes you just have to make your own mistakes!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
My wife and I finally decided to remove entirely the curtains in our '66 Trade Wind and install roller shades. The curtains that a PO had installed were dark and ugly, to us. Also the 'mechanics' of closing and opening of the curtains was annoying. The installed roller shades work just great. A dot of Velcro at the bottom center of each shade and the bottom of the windows help hold the shade to the slant of the windows. To give the shades some decorator touch I created a valence to cover the top and trimmed the windows with stained,matched to the wood trim in the trailer. Aaaah......pictures you ask. I'll take some soon and post them. for those interested.

Neil

Id love to see your roller shades. Contemplating a change in my 64 Tradewind. Thanks!
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
We struggled with the original curtains. the top was pinch pleat and had those sharp hooks, and the bottoms had pinch hoops that went onto an elastic cord. The original cord was all weathered and stretched out.

So, my wife made new custom curtains, elected gathers instead of pinch pleats, and used new stainless j hook and the associated gather material we got off sailrite.com For the bottom, we used a color appropriate elastic shock cord, and electrical fittings very close to the original used. Then, plastic keychain hooks we got from Amazon in bulk. They're attached to the curtains using bridal looping. End result, no visible attachments at the bottom, the curtains hold back to the curve of the wall, and no chance of rust ever staining the curtains!

Very creative! Are the plastic key chains you mention the oblong black pieces attached to the bridal cord?
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Yes
Old 09-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oak Ridge North , Texas
65 globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHounds View Post
Thanks for the post on curtain construction. We removed the curtain tracks in our '65 Globetrotter & tried custom aluminum slat mini-blinds. Not the perfect choice--they gap at the sides & bounce around when on the road even though they're clipped in at the bottom corners. We're going back to curtains, choosing to make them with Sunbrella fabric to withstand the hot Arizona sun. Sometimes you just have to make your own mistakes!
I would love to see how you remodled your GT! I have all the walls out and just finished the insulation! Looking for ideas!
Swimhard4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oro Valley , Arizona
I've never posted pics on airforums, but would love to share what we've done with our GT. I'll look up the how-to's & try it later today. Thanks for your interest!
Old 09-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oak Ridge North , Texas
Thumbs up

Great, can't wait! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oro Valley , Arizona
Photos of our '65 GT

I'm trying to upload the photos, but I think there's a learning curve here. I appreciate your patience.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oro Valley , Arizona
Photo failure

Swimhard4, I've been working on this photo upload for several days. Even with the help of AIR Forums Support, I keep hitting the "Upload of File Failed" wall. Will keep trying!
Old 09-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oak Ridge North , Texas
Smile

Thank You for trying! My email is swimhard4@yahoo.com if that is easier😁😉
Old 09-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oro Valley , Arizona
Progress!

I think I've created some new synapses during this process. Thanks to Lori in the Support Team for helping me create a subcategory in the Members area of the photo section. Until I can figure out how to add photos to a post, you can view pics there under " '65 Globetrotter.' "