Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hideaway , Texas
Need help with window dimensions

Hello everyone! My husband and I purchased our first airstream (a 1976 31' Sovereign with center bath) in January and have been doing much reading here in airforums to catch up and learn about our trailer.

My question is if anyone off hand knows the sizes of the windows in a '76 Sovereign with a rear bath? We are out of town (not with the airstream so we can't measure ourselves) and may have found a good deal on some day/night shades but we don't know how wide or tall the windows are.

If anyone happens to know these measurements from their own curtain/shade experience we would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks so much!

Jenn and Chris Carter

Old 05-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Don't know. Sorry.
Although most (but not sure if particularly all) 70 era Sovs would have same size windows, mine (75) is not handy for measurement either.
But unless it's a whale of a deal or unless you can return them, be sure first. Windows in most models dont just take drapes,shades,blinds etc like those in a house or straight walled sob RV.

Now that I have Googled to see where in the world Hideaway Texas is , I gotta wonder where is the trailer?
Hideaway sounds like a great place for an Airstream get away. On some lake (private) up in central east Texas??
Anyplace nearby that you would recommend for weekend or short haul camping in an Airstream?
Is there a dealer in Tyler?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Hello and welcome - I am sorry that I can't help you with the dimensions - but I am sure someone will come to your rescue.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to Airforum! When you ar ehome again, be sure to post some photos of your trailer!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The side windows are about 30" wide. The front center and rear are 43". Wing windows are 16" The side windows are 22" high. The lower windows add 10" top the height. The front and rear windows are about 24" high.

These measurements are from my 71 I know they are the same for at least up to 75.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hideaway , Texas
Thanks everyone for the help and words of wisdom! I've made an attempt to attach some pictures I took when we first got a hold of her.

We actually bought her sight unseen (we had some friends go check it out first) and have not done much to her yet. We are lucky in that we have been unable to detect any floor rot after some pretty extensive looking and somehow have little to no rust on her underbelly.

The inside however is another story...we plan on completely gutting her and and starting pretty much from scratch to fix her up. The PO's didn't exactly fix her up to our living standards anytime something broke (hence the motorcycle curtains hung from electrical wire in the front) so we have been slowly searching craigslist and RV salvage yards for appliances, light fixtures etc.

We travel for work and are always searching craigslist for things we can use in the airstream. Yesterday we came across a wrecked 2005 5th wheel (this is where the shades come into play) that has a Dometic fridge and Magic Chef oven we've been looking for as well as a ton of day/night shades.

Hideaway is actually a huge neighborhood that started out as a retirement type community back in the 70's and has incorporated itself into a city. There is a large lot for RV storage as many of the residents are retired, but so far I've only spotted 1 other airstream and am hoping to find out who the owner is. Unfortunately our closest dealer is in Dallas and we haven't made it up there yet but we keep wanting to!

When we get rolling on our remodel we'll be sure to post more pics, until I've posted a few from our first sighting.

Thanks everyone!
Jenn Carter
Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
a small but worthy investment for those brave enough to tear it all down...

I think that a worthy addition would be a Service Manual. It's full of all kinds of disassembly/assembly information, and gives you many neat diagrams for all your systems like plumbing, drains, electrical and so on.

Just like the one below:

Old 06-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hideaway , Texas
I know it's been awhile (our computer crashed) but I just wanted to say thanks for all the help everyone gave. We were able to get 11 day/night shades, a Magic Chef oven/stove, range hood, Dometic fridge, a rear rack for a generator and some sort of new electrical converter box all for $700 out of that 2005 5th wheel!!

So thank you again everyone, y'all helped us get a heck of a deal!