Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Need Curtain Track Opinion on Upgrade w/pix

I'm going to be ordering new drapes for my '69 Safari soon and I think it might be the right time to upgrade the curtain/drape track. Below are some photos of the tracks I currently have, description below image:

Click image for larger version

Name:	curtaintrack-5952.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	94378

Above is the track that sits below the vista-view type stationary windows. Not sure what letter (T, G, etc.) would describe these. Anybody know? Also shown is the glide that uses a standard curtain hook. These don't move very smoothly, like the rest of them.

Name:	curtaintrack-5953.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	94379

Photo above shows the type of track that runs under the front windshield, U-shaped bar, profile looks kinda like an I-beam. The glides that run in these use those hooks you see in older trailers. These don't glide very well either.

Name:	curtaintrack-5955.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	94381

Photo above shows the track over the gaucho. These DO move quite smoothly, much better than the others. The glide has a round bit of plastic on top.

So please enlighten me as to what letter/type of track I currently have and should I consider leaving them in (with a good dose of silicone spray to make them actually GLIDE).

And chime in if you know of a good source for new and improved track. I don't want to have to re-sew glides in AFTER getting the new curtains. I'd rather do it right the first time.

THANKS! airforums rocks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	curtaintrack-5954.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	94380  

fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
I'm going to be ordering new drapes for my '69 Safari soon and I think it might be the right time to upgrade the curtain/drape track. Below are some photos of the tracks I currently have, description below image:

Attachment 94378

Above is the track that sits below the vista-view type stationary windows. Not sure what letter (T, G, etc.) would describe these. Anybody know? Also shown is the glide that uses a standard curtain hook. These don't move very smoothly, like the rest of them.

Attachment 94379

Photo above shows the type of track that runs under the front windshield, U-shaped bar, profile looks kinda like an I-beam. The glides that run in these use those hooks you see in older trailers. These don't glide very well either.

Attachment 94381

Photo above shows the track over the gaucho. These DO move quite smoothly, much better than the others. The glide has a round bit of plastic on top.

So please enlighten me as to what letter/type of track I currently have and should I consider leaving them in (with a good dose of silicone spray to make them actually GLIDE).

And chime in if you know of a good source for new and improved track. I don't want to have to re-sew glides in AFTER getting the new curtains. I'd rather do it right the first time.

THANKS! airforums rocks
You can replace all the current drape tracks you have, with those that use the "T" and "G" drape tabs.

That will take a redesign of what you have.

It's not a problem, but it is time consuming coming up with all the pieces that will be needed, and then following that up with the instructions.

I would suggest you change out the drape tracks, BEFORE you order any drapes, as you will need to provide some measurements, so that the new drapes will fit correctly.

Shipping then can become a problem, even though an eight foot tube would be used. Most of the drape tracks come in longer lengths and would have to be cut down, to fit the 8 foot tube, to ease the shipping costs, for you.

Andy

Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks, Andy, and thanks to Doug for sending the pdf of Classic parts. I looked through the pdf of the "Classic" parts currently available but couldn't find curtain or drape track specs, which I assume is what can currently be purchased new.

Would they be referred to as "valence assembly" in the parts book? As in:

966138-03 VALANCE, 58" LOUNGE

I might end up only replacing the windshield drapes/tracks and using mini blinds on the taller 'vista view' type windows. Which parts should I be looking for to arrive at the "T" and "G" tracks?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks, Andy, and thanks to Doug for sending the pdf of Classic parts. I looked through the pdf of the "Classic" parts currently available but couldn't find curtain or drape track specs, which I assume is what can currently be purchased new.

Would they be referred to as "valence assembly" in the parts book? As in:

966138-03 VALANCE, 58" LOUNGE

I might end up only replacing the windshield drapes/tracks and using mini blinds on the taller 'vista view' type windows. Which parts should I be looking for to arrive at the "T" and "G" tracks?
I will look that number up for you tomorrow.

Andy
Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
This page at Vintage Trailer Supplies might be helpful in identifying parts...

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thank you, yes, I don't know how I missed that as I spend WAY too much time on the VTS site adding things to my "wish list"! But, yes, that describes and illustrates the T vs. G and all the stuff I was clueless about until this morning!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thank you, yes, I don't know how I missed that as I spend WAY too much time on the VTS site adding things to my "wish list"! But, yes, that describes and illustrates the T vs. G and all the stuff I was clueless about until this morning!
Rick.

966138 is the stock number for the 'Valance".

The number after the dash, specifies the length.

It's far better to purchase that material in bulk, and cut it yourself.

If you order the valance by the dash number, you will pay a premium for the material.

If you post all the dimensions, I will be glad to help you.

Andy