Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Cool post before and afters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Jezibels- I think your AS is darn near identical to mine! I am working on curtains as we speak and plan to tackle the bunks and gaucho next. I LOVE your fabric choices, its very beautiful.

I think I was over thinking the gaucho now that I see what you did...I was planning on doing more of a slip cover that went over the foam sit a heavy metal zipper so that I could take it off and wash it if needed. Your way seems much easier.

THANK YOU for the divider curtain idea. Mine still has the originals and they are a horribly tacky green. I do have the tracks though and they seem to be in good condition.
Glad I can help someone out Tabasco, post your before and after pics! Its good to take lots of pics, infact I have started a scrapbook just for the camper and her travels (with us included too) ; )
Old 01-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I spied your newer toilet cover...does that fit ok on the older toilet? Ours has that boxy cover that is original.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
Glad I can help someone out Tabasco, post your before and after pics! Its good to take lots of pics, infact I have started a scrapbook just for the camper and her travels (with us included too) ; )
Here is the current green couch...yikes. not in that bad of shape, but its stained and it really smells weird. Ew.

There is actually a whole album of pics of my AS on Facebook, and its public if you want to see. (My Vintage Airstream, Before Restoration. | Facebook)
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Toilet cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I spied your newer toilet cover...does that fit ok on the older toilet? Ours has that boxy cover that is original.
Alan, the toilet seat cover or the bench? That white plastic toilet seat/cover shown in the picture of the twin bed quilts does not fit, its a "round" one puchased from a bog box store but is too oblong, hangs off the front by an inch, where can I find one that will fit?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I wish mine had the cover still. someone replaced the toilet at some point and the seat/lid is so tall you cant open the cabinet next to the toilet. I would like to swap it out for something different. Prob cant get those covers anymore, huh? guess I need to look into that.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Tabasco, your goucho colors look great and so retro, Im diggin the plaid armrests! What colors will you go with for the interior?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
PS That is why I did not do the whole "zippered slip covers" By time they get worn or dirty I will want a different color fabric anyhow, so when they do I will just rip it off and cover with new (saving the foam).
Old 01-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Tabasco, your goucho colors look great and so retro, Im diggin the plaid armrests! What colors will you go with for the interior?
oh no, that green is NOT staying. the foam is very deteriorated as well. The plaid arm rests are so worn you can see the foam thru them....that and I can seem to get over the thought of 46 years worth of farts and whatever else in that couch.

I'm *thinking* of patch working squares of old denim for the couch covers. I love the thought of re-purposing fabric. Denim is very sturdy, and if I collect enough old jeans and such from my friends/thrift shops/garage sales I should have a good mix of shades and washes. But, it may be more of a PITA than I think...

My curtains are going to be made with my old band/festival t shirts, much like you would do a tshirt quilt. I wanted a real jeans and tshirts vibe in my AS.

I'm no decorater, really, but i thought if the curtains were going to be a crazy
mish mash of colors and patterns, I better do a more muted fabric on the couch.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
T~

Do the patchwork jeans! You can do it! Use a dark blue thread in your machine, I cannot wait to see it as you go along! Save some of the jeans/TShirts to make placemats and potholders!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
I wish mine had the cover still. someone replaced the toilet at some point and the seat/lid is so tall you cant open the cabinet next to the toilet. I would like to swap it out for something different. Prob cant get those covers anymore, huh? guess I need to look into that.
It would be easy to make out of plywood and then cover it.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Alan, the toilet seat cover or the bench? That white plastic toilet seat/cover shown in the picture of the twin bed quilts does not fit, its a "round" one puchased from a bog box store but is too oblong, hangs off the front by an inch, where can I find one that will fit?
Guess I did not notice that. I am planning on recovering the little box cover. Thought a newer style would look better, but maybe not.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Jezibels:
Am resurrecting this ancient thread! Love the gaucho job! I've got to recover my own and am wondering whether your gaucho measurements would be the same as in my 64 Overlander. Is 72 inches the standard length? I also have THREE pieces to mine... could you give me your widths? Or, how much foam in total did you buy... if I do decide to cut it myself (yelp)?
I have to do mine with removable covers because of the amount of wear and tear they get... so I guess I'm looking at about 12-15 yds of fabric?
And while I'm on the topic... has anyone with a similar twin bed trailer to mine replaced the foam on the beds? If so, could you please give me the dimensions?
My trailer sits on a piece of property 1000 miles from where I live, so it's kinda hard for me to check this stuff!
Thanks loads, everyone!
Here are some pics. PS still looking for some advice on replacing my broken door lock set!
Photos
wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Broken Door Lock set... My lockset broke last winter - we got locked out! My wife had to crawl through the curbside access door to get inside. I passed the tools to her through the opening until she was able to take the lockset apart from the inside. I was able to fix the lockset - description and photos in an earlier posting. You can order a replacement kit from Vintage Trailer Supply depending upon what model you have. Good luck!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwag View Post
Jezibels:
Am resurrecting this ancient thread! Love the gaucho job! I've got to recover my own and am wondering whether your gaucho measurements would be the same as in my 64 Overlander. Is 72 inches the standard length? I also have THREE pieces to mine... could you give me your widths? Or, how much foam in total did you buy... if I do decide to cut it myself (yelp)?
I have to do mine with removable covers because of the amount of wear and tear they get... so I guess I'm looking at about 12-15 yds of fabric?
And while I'm on the topic... has anyone with a similar twin bed trailer to mine replaced the foam on the beds? If so, could you please give me the dimensions?
My trailer sits on a piece of property 1000 miles from where I live, so it's kinda hard for me to check this stuff!
Thanks loads, everyone!
Here are some pics. PS still looking for some advice on replacing my broken door lock set!
Photos
I have an almost identical set up as your pictures. I had a local foam company cut custom pieces for my goucho couch (3 peices, although it looks different than yours, the backrest of my couch is taller?) and the 2 bunks.

I'm pretty sure that I have the receipt, and there were detailed measurements on it. I'll try to find that when I get home tonight.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
I have an almost identical set up as your pictures. I had a local foam company cut custom pieces for my goucho couch (3 peices, although it looks different than yours, the backrest of my couch is taller?) and the 2 bunks.

I'm pretty sure that I have the receipt, and there were detailed measurements on it. I'll try to find that when I get home tonight.
Fantastic, Tabasco. I'd really appreciate it. And yes, the backrest SHOULD be higher... the former owner made it too small. So whatever your measurements arr, I'll take em!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
Broken Door Lock set... My lockset broke last winter - we got locked out! My wife had to crawl through the curbside access door to get inside. I passed the tools to her through the opening until she was able to take the lockset apart from the inside. I was able to fix the lockset - description and photos in an earlier posting. You can order a replacement kit from Vintage Trailer Supply depending upon what model you have. Good luck!
Thanks, MaxAB. If you could direct me to your post, I'll have a look. I wonder if it's under Doors. Duh.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Flin Flon , Manitoba
Just hoping to cash in on the gaucho knowledge.. Wigwag..do you have the dimensions of the small curved gaucho cushions.?.. The third one. I'm missing it in my 65 globetrotter !
i was mostly needing its widest part. I have been trying to get new foam cut but can't decide how wide that back cushion was meant to be. Thanks for bring this up again!! Thanks so much for any info!
Kdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Try this link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwag View Post
Thanks, MaxAB. If you could direct me to your post, I'll have a look. I wonder if it's under Doors. Duh.

Wig:

Try going to this link...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164...ent-99692.html

My lockset is a Keeler - not a Bargman. There's a lot of difference. I believe the replacement lockset that VTS sells will replace the Keeler - not sure if it will also work to replace the Bargmans. Check with VTS if you have any questions.

I've got the replacement kit stowed in my AS should something happen to my repair job while we're on the road... Don't want to be stuck while not being able to secure the main door!

Good luck, amigo...

Art
MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawn View Post
Just hoping to cash in on the gaucho knowledge.. Wigwag..do you have the dimensions of the small curved gaucho cushions.?.. The third one. I'm missing it in my 65 globetrotter !
i was mostly needing its widest part. I have been trying to get new foam cut but can't decide how wide that back cushion was meant to be. Thanks for bring this up again!! Thanks so much for any info!
Oh, Kdawn. I wish I did. Would really like to order some foam but I have no idea how much to get. Wish the OP would tell us!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
As I recall the curved cushion is the same width and length as the other narrow cushion you should have. Here is the pic of the pieces that I made for my previous trailer
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...tml#post136097

Post #25 if it doesn't go to it directly. I was looking for my templates. They have to be here somewhere...I never throw out anything.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote