Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
When you covered the gaucho foam, did you first sew a muslin liner or put your new fabric directly on the foam? I'm having issues with some new upholstered furniture in my family room: fabric is "moving" against the foam underneath, is nearly impossible to realign, and I see that though I thought I'd looked the pieces over well, I'd missed the fact that the cushions have no muslin liners between the foam and the upholstery fabric. Just asking, since we will soon be doing this for our new-to-us old Argosy. Thanks for the info. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Georgia~

I covered with the fabric right over the foam. My fabric was quilted fabric, in other words it was as if it had two layers already, I found it at Joann on the Red Tag table, it came in a few colors but I liked the green/blue.

If it ever gets worn or stained I will just recover again with new fabric, it was so easy, no kidding, took me one day to to all the cushions. It is a fun rainy day project.

The 3rd cushion that is behind the ones you see (in front), the one with the curved ends It does not have a board to staple fabric to, I sewed a cover for it, I just wrapped the fabric over and pinned it all the way down, sewed it up with a tight strong stitch on the machine then I left he last 12" open, I squeezed the foam into it and hand sewed the remaining 12". It turned out beautiful. I will take a pic of this last cushion and post it on here on the next camp trip!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
One sees, here somebody has worked with a lot of love and good taste!!
Greetings Werner
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Looks Great!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I have bought fabric to recover our dinette, make new curtains, and bedcover. I am wondering if I should look into new foam? The cushions sit very comfortably now and seems to be in good shape. The current cushions have a zipper in them, but I am thinking of using velcro. Any insights on that? Thanks to all
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Follow up.....

I had asked if anyone was aware of whether fabrics had to be (or were recommended to be) fire retardent. I followed up with the Airstream customer service folks and they were quick and helpful (duhh! should have emailed them long ago). The answer was no. In a MOHO with an engine it might be recommended but not an issue at all in a trailer. Can't remember where I read that fabrics were supposed to be fire retardent, but if AS officially says its not an issue it certainly isn't one.

Just thought i'd close the loop on the question in case anyone picks up this thread.

Thanks all.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimarty View Post
Follow up.....

I had asked if anyone was aware of whether fabrics had to be (or were recommended to be) fire retardent. I followed up with the Airstream customer service folks and they were quick and helpful (duhh! should have emailed them long ago). The answer was no. In a MOHO with an engine it might be recommended but not an issue at all in a trailer. Can't remember where I read that fabrics were supposed to be fire retardent, but if AS officially says its not an issue it certainly isn't one.

Just thought i'd close the loop on the question in case anyone picks up this thread.

Thanks all.
Gosh, I never thought about that, but am glad someone did - and more importantly got the answer. Thanks to you
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
On my Gaucho, the fabric or leatherette was just sewn over the new foam. Wanted leather but figured the leatherette naugahide would last longer under the different conditions in the trailer.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
1953 25' Cruiser
New Salem , Massachusetts
Great tip about Joann's, I went shopping for goucho fabric and found the perfect curtain fabric, lots of choices 40% off. So I guess I'm doing the curtains first.
The cushions on my goucho are really good too, so I'm really interested reusing the foam if at all possible
ghvoelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Looks great, Jez!!!!

Have you been out camping yet?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
1st Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Looks great, Jez!!!!

Have you been out camping yet?

Mello Mike-

Yes we got out the first sight of spring!!! Good to have our 1st trip under our belt!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...fun-64178.html
Old 06-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Great job! That fabric looks perfect! Nice wood bulkheads, too!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
Here are pictures of my latest project on the Lil' 66 Tradewind guys!

I sewed 11 new curtains and a new accordian door. All are lined. I also made brand new cushions with new foam and new fabrics for the goucho!

Im so proud I had to post the pictures for you to see!

Gearing up for the 2010 camping season sure is fun!
They are AWESOME! You layout looks identical to my 1967 Overlander. The previous owners took the drapes out and installed mini blinds and they are getting really aged and not looking or working so well. My hubby wants me to do curtains for it and we were going to take the blinds out completely. I am curious if you used the original track to hang yours and if so, where did you attach the curtains to the little clips that slide in the tracks? I have all the top tracks still intact except the one over the kitchen window so I would need to find one for there. Also, I notice that your bottoms hang free. I believe in the originals the bottoms were hooked somehow but there are no bottom tracks on mine but I am not sure if that is because of the previous owner. Do you know anything about how to keep the bottoms secure against the wall and if not, how do you like your curtains not secure? Do they still give you enough privacy? Sorry for all the stupid questions We have been working really hard on getting the inside and the outside up to our standards. We have come a long way but have a long way to go too We also have an area for the accordian door. Was there a track inside that top part of yours, to hook things into? No track in mine. OK Thanks for your time! Again your drapes are AWESOME! Good Job!!
Karebere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Curtain tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebere View Post
They are AWESOME! You layout looks identical to my 1967 Overlander. The previous owners took the drapes out and installed mini blinds and they are getting really aged and not looking or working so well. My hubby wants me to do curtains for it and we were going to take the blinds out completely. I am curious if you used the original track to hang yours and if so, where did you attach the curtains to the little clips that slide in the tracks? I have all the top tracks still intact except the one over the kitchen window so I would need to find one for there. Also, I notice that your bottoms hang free. I believe in the originals the bottoms were hooked somehow but there are no bottom tracks on mine but I am not sure if that is because of the previous owner. Do you know anything about how to keep the bottoms secure against the wall and if not, how do you like your curtains not secure? Do they still give you enough privacy? Sorry for all the stupid questions We have been working really hard on getting the inside and the outside up to our standards. We have come a long way but have a long way to go too We also have an area for the accordian door. Was there a track inside that top part of yours, to hook things into? No track in mine. OK Thanks for your time! Again your drapes are AWESOME! Good Job!!
Karebere~

Thank you so much for the props! Its my favorite hobby taking care of the camper!
About the tracks for the curtains, my camper had all the original tracks, hooks and the previous draperies had traverse hooks in the tops of them, they are the sharp metal hooks that are about 2" long and you just insert the pointed end 2" down from the top of the drapery then bring the hook back out and stop 1/4" from the tops careful not to ever let the hook poke thru to the front face of the fabric. If your curtains are lined you will have no problem bringing the sharp hook in and out while never piercing the front fabric face. Each metal traverse hook is 2 1/2" apart. My camper never had tracks on the bottoms and it does not need tracks there because the curtains cover the window on all sides with extra to spare. When I purchased her she still had some of the original curtains (a super cute thick off white canvas material with a very 60's themed leaf pattern with tiny pink flamingoes) and the original accordian door in impeccable condition. I still have these original curtains I was going to make throw pillows out of them. Post pics of your progress on here!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Baldwin City , Kansas
Great job on the curtains and cushions! I am planning on using Sunbrella fabrics on ours, since I think the outdoor fabric should hold up to my kids... (hopefully be able to dab it with a cloth when the kids spill). The bed by the kitchen has newer cusstom matresses... but the twin beds are original foam. I will probably get new foam since it seems kind of unsanitary to make the boys sleep on old musty foam.

Not looking forward to sewing in the piping for the cushions. I really get stressed out doing piping.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Update:

Tomorrow I will pick out the fabrics to start the next project, making two matching quilts for the twin beds.

Stay tuned for updates on the quilts!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Twin Quilts are done!

Here is a photo of the twin quilts I just finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0327.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	112478  
Old 10-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Commerce , Texas
Your work is beautiful; love the look of your fabrics! I found nice, lined curtain panels on sale and was able to cut them down to fit our windows (therefore, a lot of the sewing was already done for me). The hardest part was adding G glides for the lower tracks and having enough tension to avoid sagging. Now I'm trying to work out a plan for the accordian door. Wish I could get a closer look at yours; nicely done!

"You can buy a cheaper burger, but then you gotta eat it." Texas Burger
jal4509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Commerce , Texas
AND, love your pillow shams!

"You can buy a cheaper burger, but then you gotta eat it." Texas Burger
jal4509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Jezibels- I think your AS is darn near identical to mine! I am working on curtains as we speak and plan to tackle the bunks and gaucho next. I LOVE your fabric choices, its very beautiful.

I think I was over thinking the gaucho now that I see what you did...I was planning on doing more of a slip cover that went over the foam sit a heavy metal zipper so that I could take it off and wash it if needed. Your way seems much easier.

THANK YOU for the divider curtain idea. Mine still has the originals and they are a horribly tacky green. I do have the tracks though and they seem to be in good condition.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote