Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
My blinds don't match!

I am renovating a 69 caravel and I am attempting to give it a clean modern interior. I have painted the interior a bright white in a high gloss and the cream blinds are driving me nuts. One problem, I am cheap and don't want to spend a fortune on new blinds. I am considering a rolling shade with fabric, but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find new white blinds cheap?
Modern South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Have you looked at Home Depot? They can cut them to length.

You'll have to judge the relative whiteness for yourself. I seem to recall that the ones in my local HD are pretty white.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Thanks

That is a great idea! I had been looking at rv stores online and they were pricey. I tend to be Lowes girl, but will happily cross the road to save a few bucks!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern South View Post
That is a great idea! I had been looking at rv stores online and they were pricey. I tend to be Lowes girl, but will happily cross the road to save a few bucks!
I'd be surprised if Lowe's doesnt have them too.

I tend towards HD, there's only one Lowe's and it's in North Little Rock (NLR). There's an HD across the street from it and two more HDs in Little Rock, both of which are closer than going to NLR.

You may want to consider small curtains at the ends because of the gap caused by the curved walls. If you look on the right behind the computer in the photo below you can see some brown very small curtains that are over the galley sink. All they do is cover the gap at the end of the mini-blinds. (Sorry, this is the best picture I have of them.) The thing about them is that they are fully extended, that's just how big they are.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Good idea

I hadn't thought about the gap with blinds. Because I am in the reno process and have never camped in a trailer, there are a llot of little things like that I am completely unaware of! I am sure our maiden voyage will be a great time of discovery. I am going to go out and measure now for a curtain to go on the sides and then I will head to Lowes to check out blinds. Our Home Depot is very disorganized and makes me feel a bit looney. However, I will check there to compare prices!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Hi there, Caroline,
Mini blinds, properly sized, will work well in your trailer (especially on the rear window and center portion of the front window).
If you go with blinds for the front window, you'll prob. want curtains to (at least) cover the the curved end sections of the front window.
For use in a travel trailer, may I suggest aluminum or light-weight metal mini blinds? They can cost only slightly more than vinyl ones and are available at most Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, etc.
The reason I recommend these is because they won't sag (distort) as the plastic ones sometimes do. Heat can really build-up inside an Airstream, especially when it is closed up during the hot summer days. This heat can temporairly soften the vinyl blind slats and leave them 'saggy'.
Enjoy using your creativity in renovating your Caravel.

P.S. I like your choice of Airstream model to make your own!
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
That is really great advice. I hadnt thought about them sagging. It does get very hot here in Augusta. Thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I've been staring at my new 85 Excella windows. I'm not modern at all, but the first thing I did was tear out the carpet and all those pleated curtains. I felt like I was in a mortuary. Since the curtain tracks are riveted, I could see the curtains had never been cleaned in 28 years or so. Yuck. I plan to install brushed aluminum blinds (it's an Airstream!) and make little curtains to cover the gaps out of loomed organic hemp material. Loomed hemp fabric costs about $28/yard so just covering the gaps is a great idea. Thanks!
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote