Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Mounting curtains to track on '71 safari

I'm on the verge of ordering new curtains for my 1971 Safari from JP Drapes. Mounting the front window curtains on the"I" beam style track should be pretty straight forward. The curtains for the side windows will come with the plastic tabs attached and I just need to slide the tabs into the upper and lower tracks for each window. However, it's not clear to me on how to get the tabs into the tracks for the window to the right of the door and also the long run of curtain for the window above the twin bed on the curb side.

- For the window to the right of the door, the upper track is accessible. However, both ends of the track in the bottom tray are blocked by a curved side piece of aluminum as shown in the photo. This side piece seems to be one with the bottom. How does one gain access to the end of the track in order to slide the curtains tabs in? See 1st photo.

- For the window above the Twin Bed on the curb side, the ends of the track on both the top and bottom butts up against each of the walls. Do both the top and bottom tracks have to be removed for the curtains to be mounted and then reinstalled with the curtains already in place? See 2nd photo. The other end of this bottom track is similarly close to the wall, as are both ends of the upper track. Total length of both tracks is about 76".

Any input on this is appreciated as I'm a novice when it comes to this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6150001.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	188516   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6150002.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	188517  

TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

The answer is "yep".

Had the same issues on a 74 Overlander. Sounds crazy, but true. A few screws, a few hours and you're done.

Enjoy,
Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
I take it your referring to having to remove both the upper and lower tracks for the curtains above the bed.

What about the short bottom tray with tracks to the right of the door. I can see that the tray/track assembly is easily removed from the wall. It's just not clear to me how one removes the cured aluminum piece away from the end of the track?
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote