Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2004, 01:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Well I re-did the backrest - used the welting - I know I said I was not going to but it was still a test so I picked out the old welting from the old fabric and went ahead and recovered the first back rest. Not bad...Good thing I have cushions to go with it - I will need to watch my measurements - as the foam is a bit on the warn side - so I need to make it a tad smaller all the way around and not go by the existing material. The seat cushions should be a little easier.

Moved on to the curtains and completed one panel of 12 - yikes - I'll be lucky if we get this done before the 2010 International Curtains were the easiest job so far but still detailed and I think they are going to look really sharp. I can just imagine now - instead of looking at "curtains" it will look like all the windows are open and we have full veiw of the "stary-night"

Well break is over back to sewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CP 1.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	5700  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 01:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Hey!!! looks great!!! I don't know how I managed to miss all of these posts!

I miss talkin to ya....glad to see all is going well... We need to get some pics up here too.....

Ron
Old 04-05-2004, 03:50 PM   #23
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I got some of my celestial pics posted to "My Gallery" today. Some are the same as above, but love to share our fun. Hoping to post pic of our bath "faux" stained glass celestial pic this week.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
just a sewing note..

... I'm a quilter on the side & sell my stuff at art fairs; probably have sold 300 quilts of varying sizes in the last 10 years. So I know my way around a sewing machine.

The bottom layer will always "gather" when sewing. That's because the feed dogs have pull & the presser foot doesn't. There are 3 ways to minimize this:

1) Always put the new or out layer on top. Try to envision a quilt with 3 borders. Each succeeding border should become the top layer; otherwise, you end up with ruffles at the end of a big project

2) Pinning will help force the machine to feed evenly. At least you see a differential problem as it develops.

3) Most good-quality machines have a "walking foot." This is an attachment that reduces the feed differential to almost nothing, but they take a little practice because the grip is lessened.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Arrived Yesterday - too cool! Always wanted a bead door - this one is made of bamboo but the design is shall we say - just the ticket!

Warning for anyone getting things shipped from the US by UPS - offer to have them send it a different way or at least ask them to ship Express rather than Standard. UPS has these Brokerage Fees that are absolutely haneous!!!! almost worth more than the purchase. I aways thought it was the duty on the extra charges but I found out yesterday it is this greedy little brockerage fee! They will be hearing from me - $30 on $40 dollar purchase - that is just daylight robery!

Good thing I was just too excited to get our new door or the driver may not have made it home - this will be replacing the accordian plastic door (not my cup of tea). Sorry to disappoint the true to A/S parters - We have decided to make just a few small modifications and stray from the original

Don't need a privacy door - no kids - and well the dogs close their eyes anyway and if we camp with anyone they better have their own A/S

If you don't move around you can't really make out too much - and well who would want to anyway

After finishing a set of curtains I cut all the panels for the curtains last night ready to sew like a fean today - have to make a road trip though ran out of thread - miss-calculated that one!! However - I got the big thumbs up from the Hubby last night on the Curtains - phew - touch guy to please

Have a Great Day all - working on or enjoying your A/S's!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Celestial Door.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	5738  
Old 04-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #26
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Beads!

I really love your beaded door curtain. It will draw some wonderful comments, I'm sure! I am wondering if there is anything like that that is smaller to fit in a window? I was thinking of my kitchen window, which has nothing but a valance at the moment and I don't really want to cover w/ a curtain, but might look good w/just a small bead cover. Can you tell me? Keep the pics coming, I am enjoying them all. Leigh

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 04-06-2004, 10:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
It's curtains for me!

Ok, so curtains are my next project....after the kitchen re-do. Summerkid, Gt6 and all - any hints for this newbe? How did you pleat, and how much extra fabric do you account for to get the desired length of curtain?
Thx!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:41 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
A beaded doorway is perfect - sort of fits the nomadic nature of an A/S. It certainly captures the spirit of the 60's!
We're trying for an original 50's look (not exact replication) for the Cruiser. But now you've got me thinking about a beaded curtain for the closet-like bathroom. There isn't really enough room to open the original door; closing it and sitting down are nearly impossible! It'd be a lot easier with a beaded curtain. Did they have these in the 50's? Maybe in a "tiki" style would work.
Doug
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 02:26 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Well that got a little excitement - they are kind of neat - not actual beads but lengths of bamboo then painted after.

Leigh - does not look like they carry any type of Blinds. However I was thinking of getting the real cheap bamboo blinds - homedepot I think, or Wal-mart, Zellers or that kind of place even Sears - usually come in different widths - length you will always have to cut for the short trailer windows - but they are cheap enough. I was thinking of making some sort of stencil from some of the patterns I have in all the different fabric and borders - then either hand paint it on and laquer spray a clear coat - or get into the glitter type spray paints - silver/gold etc. and spray on a few moons or suns or a bunch of florescent stars.

Doug - here is the web site of the place I bought the door from - not the greatest quality but fits the theme! I found them on e-bay and in fact that is where I bought mine. Check out their web site - I am sure you will find something for the 50's era. Sounds like we have the same type of bathroom - resembles more like an airplane or boat head than a luxury liner bathroom like most people have on this site (Rear Baths). We can fit in ours with the door closed.

Bought a shower curtain that will probably stay open all the time (beads would be a great idea- too) I just bought a bright Yellow toilet fluff and a needle point patch of yes you guessed it a celestial moon. That will be for a rainy day project.Too many curtains to do for now.

Marc - if you can hang out for a bit - the next set of curtains I make (tonight) I will take a play by play photo story and send them to you later this week.

My original A/S curtains were very simple single pleate top and bottom (1/2 inch pleate - 1 inch folded and every 2 3/4" apart. I also have the SS snaps that keep the curtains nicely in place with the good side always showing. Also have the small patches of velcro to keep them closed when drawn. I had all the originals so I just measured from them and gave my self a 1" double fold over hem all round (that way if you cut the material a bit wonky you have a bit of a margin for error). What are the size of your windows - maybe I can help you figure it out. If you go by the standard you will have way too much curtain . As they are top and bottom pleated and on a track - you don't need the elaborate pleating you would for a home window dressing that is not tracked top and bottom.

I have basically duplicated how they were made. The key is measuring and to use pleate tape. This is the stiff material that goes between the two layers of fabric - the curtain material and the curtain liner/backing. To make your curtains really nice - pick a nice fabric for the back to - but make sure it is a light colour or it will fade with the sun. I lucked out and found a really nice silky/satin material with a pattern in it - swirls ha ha like the moon - and it was cheaper than regular curtain liner - thicker and much nicer. (A bit hard to work with - static - yikes.)

If you pick either a really light or really dark Material/pattern and match the thread - anyone who is not the greatest of sewers can get away with murder - or in otherwords the straight lines don't matter much if you can't see the thread just make sure the seem/fold is straight.

Not sure how to post a link to a URL since the new WS but here is the address.
http://www.bamboodoorbeads.com/
Old 04-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi me again;

Here is the little needle point I picked up today. It is only 5"X5" and should attach to the yellow toilet seat fluff just nicely. I'll have to make a sign that says "please remove seat fluff before showering"!
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2004, 11:05 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet celestial theme--would like some ideas/suggestions

I am not a decorator, but I love to change themes often. I don't know if my last post went through or not as I tried to stop it from going through as I was going to post some photos from our previous theme. Currently is contemporary, but I think I want to go back to the theme we have in the photos. Has anyone painted the walls in their AS? I heard somewhere to wash the walls down with bleach and then use Kiltz primer before painting...We are also thinking of replacing the gaucho with a sleeper sofa or a futon--I think the futon would be easier to get in the door....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	our '74 airstream exterior.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	5751   Click image for larger version

Name:	our '74 AS kitchen.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	5752  

Name:	our '74 AS living area.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	5753   Click image for larger version

Name:	our '74 gaucho area.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	5754  

Old 04-07-2004, 07:57 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
imeynstein I'm no decorator either just like to have fun! So here is my 2cents....

I like the "neuvo Safari" style and if you do too then just give it an up lift. There are lots of "artifacts and treasures" on the market today for that style as it is very popular.

As many find out - be careful with paint. A theme can get tired and change a needed and you don't want to have to strip colours off after the fact - with such a portable unit - I would tend to stick to a "Portable" decorating scheme - meaning fabrics and accents. And cover things that can easily be replaced if necessary.

However, if you were to do something I would go for somekind of "foiling" either copper, brass, silver, aluminum etc. on the end cap in the living room only. This would be a neutral type of application that if themes changed it could be incorporated easily into the next theme.

If that is an ashtray filled with smokes I see - and the picture is recent - (first quit smoking - bad for you ) Second I would think that all the fabric would be in need of a "fresh" change.

My Vision..... no bookshelfs and in it's place a nest of "hump back Trunks" anchored to the floor - great storage - but round tops so you can't pile clutter on top. I see an "skin print" curtain fabric (loud and bright) with a nice cream liner. If your cupboards are actually wood - then try a nice light wood stain.
If there is carpet on the floor - out with it - and in with an interesting composit type floor. Use the floor to bring in the lighter colour and to soften your theme. (just saw some textured floor tiles yesterday - really neat ceramic tile look, tarnished steel like floor look, cork look and so on larger tiles 2.5X2.5 - but fairly light looks like the same type of material "Pargo flooring" uses -which many have installed (as we will be soon too.)

Dress up all the bed coverings - with lots of pillows - The futton would work nice and give you a bit of open roominess.

If your cupboards are all vynol veneer then you could recover them. Be creative - use the original colour and accent with stripes to pick up on some of the theme colours.

I see a huge animal skin under your Awning (like a fake lion or gazelle) with the nifty Giaraffs lining the entrance. Go with the theme and serve up African dishes, have some hanging trinkets (your pictures on the wall are a nice touch keep them)

Make it sharp and neat - flowy fabrics in a trailer might not be the safest - and they will be big dust collectors.

Not saying to put all this in your coach just ideas - but old suitcases would work well for "goin-on-safari" - Wood Carvings of various animals - Theme Book holders these just happen to be lions - animal skins - great garage sale finds - mine is a springbok actually from a Safari in Africa (I wish it was me - but nope from my cousin whos family lives there) Old trunks - many of them were ribbed and very light due to voyage weight controls - this trunk emigrated with us from England) I have many more of my parents trunks in our basement.

Whatever your theme good luck and have fun with it!
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #33
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
imeynstein - I also can't claim decorator background, but can say I wanted a theme that represented "me" for our Argosy. My middle name could be "Celestial", and plus, ARGOSY just seemed to fit w/Celestial since and Argosy was a ship needin to use the heavens to navigate, not to mention the 70's theme of which our "78" trailer was a part of. It all just fit!! Anyway, your decor should reflect your family taste and comfort for sure.
On another note. We did a futon. We like it for looks and comfort. Moving it is another story, as it is heavier that the original foam cushions. Food for thought, altho we are working on resolving that minor problem. Here is a pic from my gallery of new futon.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #34
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Huh... it wouldn't let me attach?? I'll try again, or you might have to glance at my gallery pics. It is one of the newest that I just posted this week.

Here goes again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Futon in Mini.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	5761  

Old 04-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Thanks for all of the info and ideas!! Will post new pics when I get through! I have pretty wild taste I guess so who knows what to expect when I get it all done! You have done a fantastic job and keep up the good work. Keep on sending the photos...
Old 04-10-2004, 09:47 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Phew...finnised the last of the curtains yesterday morning - this was the last panel. Trust me to leave the front window long long long ones to last.

Now I just have to remove all the hardware from the old curtains and sew them on the new ones.

Removed the double wheel carries from the rods today - yuk think I will buy all knew ones - they are rusted and don't move very well - very stiff and some you need a crow bar to get moving.

I think the best way to tackle it from now is to sew the top Kirsh tabs on first - then hang the curtains and mark exactly where the bottom ones will be.

I will be replacing the bottom tabs spring units with elastic instead as most of the spring loads are gone and the remaining don't work very well.

I think my next little project before I tackle the upholstery is the shower curtain - I have the original but will be replacing it with the new celestial one from sears - there is a little curtain rod with four hooks and the rest of the curtain snaps using SS boat snaps down the back of the wall.

My house looks like a sewing room!

PS Mark if you would like me to send pics of the steps I took to make the curtains I did remember to take picutres. I am not an expert sewer - never took any lessons and certainly don't do it for a living - but you are more than welcome to see how I made mine - I am very pleased at how they turned out and just can not wait to see them all up in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Last of the CP's.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	5887  
Old 04-13-2004, 01:45 PM   #37
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Thumbs up Lookin Good

Your curtains are great! Bet you can't wait to get out and enjoy all. I like to just sit in ours and enjoy a cup of coffee - real cozy.

I finally have the finished picture of the faux stained glass for our back window! Going to show it off if I can. The artist worked hard to get just the right colors and the rounded window edges to fit so it would mix with the rest of our celestial goodies.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stained glass.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	5938  

Old 04-13-2004, 04:19 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Excellent Window

Wow Leigh that is so cool - I will have to commission you to do a small porthole window in our bi-fold bathroom door.

Really nice job - have you been doing stain glass long? Our new friends Annie and Marvin are right into stain glass as well they are really good at it and I'm sure they plan on doing some work for their newly aquired Argosy.

I finished the shower curtain last night - very similar to yours but once again slightly different.

Annie also gave me a lead on some place mats - they were perfect so I bought two extra and made little neck pillows out of them.

There are so many things you can ad - good thing all this stuff is lightweight or we would be in big trouble with the towing

Again Leigh really great job on the Window - can't wait to see in fitted in. Are you replacing your window with it or are you using it inside only?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shower Curtain.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	5940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Neck Pillow.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	5941  

Old 04-15-2004, 12:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Where are the carriers attached????

Well it is a nice day here! I have been anxious to see what my curtains will look like.

I bought all new double wheel carriers the other day and just finished putting the snaps on the ends of the front curtains.

The A/S is empty right now - waiting on the wood to be treated so I thought I would test a panel out.

I had attached the carrier hooks to about a 1/4 inch from the pleat fold - but I think it should be put in the middle between the two pleats. Does anyone know for sure??? I took all the hooks out of the old ones and can not tell where they were Silly me...

Well they turned out to be a perfect fit just below and above the rod (so the curtains don't get trashed with rubbing against the rods while rolling. Although a little fiddly I do prefer the curtains snug on the rod as opposed to the bottom just hanging straight.

Here is a pic of my test run - but now they are back in the house to have the hooks moved (I think - need some consult on this one) and to keep them clean as I am now going in to do the final wire wool sanding of the cabinetry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Curtain Test.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	5971  
Old 04-15-2004, 05:14 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
...I will have to commission you to do a small porthole window in our bi-fold bathroom door...
Bathroom door? Then how about a half moon?!

BTW, I recently read a story on the origins of the half moon on outhouse doors. Once, a half moon was the designation for "ladies", and a sun was the designation for "gents". According to this account, use of privies fell out of favor with the ladies first, but gentlemen continued using them and eventually the gents' outhouses deteriorated. Ladies' outhouses with the characteristic half moon survived and the design became customarily associated with the outhouse. Cool, huh? Celestial themes everywhere!

Doug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	half moon.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	5973  
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote