Old 04-03-2004, 05:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Plugging away slowly

Hi Leigh
Wow are we ever a like!

A few weeks ago I picked up almost the same shower set - the curtain, hooks, rug, and soap dispenser - a bit pricy but worth the theme .

Went a little different on the pillows for the front dinette. Thought all the tassles would be too enticing for Haily our Golden (bit of a chewer- sneaky chewer at that) so we went with the yellow and blue braid edging.

So we just stuck with tassles in the stateroom bed ensamble. Here are the extra little pillows and roll I made to go with the set I picked up at Wal-mart (bed in a bag - great deal) The comforter has this star pattern on one side and the sun/moon on the other.

Just taking a break as I type from the upholstery. Working on the back rests first - to get the hang of sewing the thick material - very easy to work with (much easier than that braided stuff - boy was it hard to keep straight - Decided to keep the welting/piping around the edge of the seat cushions but had to make sure I could get my sewing machine through it all - no problem.

It will be several weeks I'm sure before I get all this done! and a few trips for thread.

We too hope we meet up one day - If I had an Argosy - I might be inclined to go a little wild and paint a moon and sun on the outside(tastefully of course) - but if that is not to your liking - try some decal places for the window stickers - I picked up a really neat sun from our Canadian Tire store - auto department.

Moab sounds very inviting hope you had nice weather! It is at last warmer here and pretty much all the snow is gone but it has been raining for the past 3 days now!

Will keep you and all posted on our progress. Look forward to seeing more photos of your theme too - althought they are the same they still seem to be very different - can't believe all the different celestial designs out there.

SPK

Old 04-03-2004, 09:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Oops was not paying attention - files were too big

Here are the two photos mentioned above

SPK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed pillows.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	5660  

Old 04-03-2004, 09:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hey why won't it take two at a time - again???
When I selected both files it just replaces each other - oh well here is the other one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dinette Backrest Cushions.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	5661  
Old 04-04-2004, 09:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Awesome!

Great sewing jobs! Here's some hints that I discovered while sewing our new covers for the new foam. (What a job!). I sewed with thick German Guttman thread (available at Joanne's). When sewing with cording, sew cording to one panel. When sewing the next panel to the one with cording already attached (three layers, panel, cording/panel), put the panel WITHOUT the cording attached on the bottom, and sew with the panel/cording on the top. This way you can pin and stretch the top cording/panel back towards you, while controlling the feed into the machine.

What I found was that I was getting shorted on the lengths when it came time to sew the final panel to the 2/3 completed boxing. IT WAS DRIVING ME NUTS!! Pull stiches, and try again!! ARRGGH! I couldn't figure it out! I was starting with perfectly square fabric pieces, but was ending up with almost two inches short! I finally figured out that when I was sewing the three together, if I had the cording/panel on the bottom, the bottom feeding foot would just slightly bunch up the fabric, while I was pulling taught the top piece. It did this with two different machines, despite pressor foot adjustments. After I made the adjustment to make a mental note to keep the cording/panel on top, no more problems!

I also used a denim needle. The hardest part was learning how to fold together the cording when they meet. Well, and also learning how to sew from scratch!
Looks Great!
Marc
Old 04-04-2004, 10:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
That is neat! Our 'new' A/S needs some character.... We'll be watching your progress for ideas.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Marc - Now you tell me

My machine is doing really well - it is just the operator .

Cheaped out and used the cording from the old cushions on my first seat back - everything went great until I had a look at the finished job - perfect size, perfect fit, perfect sewing - but....

The welting looks like it came off a friendly giant couch! it is way too big and stands out like a sore thumb! So guess who is picking out all the stitches I did yesterday.

I'll be off to the store to buy some new stuff because if "ya" think I'm going to pick all the cording/welting out of the old material "ya" nuts - unless of course the new stuff is $10. a yard or something silly.

Thanks for the hints Marc I will keep them in mind, although I guess I was lucky I did not have any trouble with material puckering (four layers of material).

Maybe I'll move to the curtains instead - they have to be easier than the upholstery - then again I have all the carriers to pick off the old curtains - and they have been sewn on with the friendly giants industrial banger. My hands will be all crumpled by the time I finish this job

It is a lot of fun though.

Will post new pics if I ever finish anthing
Old 04-05-2004, 02:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Well I re-did the backrest - used the welting - I know I said I was not going to but it was still a test so I picked out the old welting from the old fabric and went ahead and recovered the first back rest. Not bad...Good thing I have cushions to go with it - I will need to watch my measurements - as the foam is a bit on the warn side - so I need to make it a tad smaller all the way around and not go by the existing material. The seat cushions should be a little easier.

Moved on to the curtains and completed one panel of 12 - yikes - I'll be lucky if we get this done before the 2010 International Curtains were the easiest job so far but still detailed and I think they are going to look really sharp. I can just imagine now - instead of looking at "curtains" it will look like all the windows are open and we have full veiw of the "stary-night"

Well break is over back to sewing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CP 1.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	5700  
Old 04-05-2004, 02:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Hey!!! looks great!!! I don't know how I managed to miss all of these posts!

I miss talkin to ya....glad to see all is going well... We need to get some pics up here too.....

Ron
Old 04-05-2004, 04:50 PM   #23
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I got some of my celestial pics posted to "My Gallery" today. Some are the same as above, but love to share our fun. Hoping to post pic of our bath "faux" stained glass celestial pic this week.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
just a sewing note..

... I'm a quilter on the side & sell my stuff at art fairs; probably have sold 300 quilts of varying sizes in the last 10 years. So I know my way around a sewing machine.

The bottom layer will always "gather" when sewing. That's because the feed dogs have pull & the presser foot doesn't. There are 3 ways to minimize this:

1) Always put the new or out layer on top. Try to envision a quilt with 3 borders. Each succeeding border should become the top layer; otherwise, you end up with ruffles at the end of a big project

2) Pinning will help force the machine to feed evenly. At least you see a differential problem as it develops.

3) Most good-quality machines have a "walking foot." This is an attachment that reduces the feed differential to almost nothing, but they take a little practice because the grip is lessened.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Arrived Yesterday - too cool! Always wanted a bead door - this one is made of bamboo but the design is shall we say - just the ticket!

Warning for anyone getting things shipped from the US by UPS - offer to have them send it a different way or at least ask them to ship Express rather than Standard. UPS has these Brokerage Fees that are absolutely haneous!!!! almost worth more than the purchase. I aways thought it was the duty on the extra charges but I found out yesterday it is this greedy little brockerage fee! They will be hearing from me - $30 on $40 dollar purchase - that is just daylight robery!

Good thing I was just too excited to get our new door or the driver may not have made it home - this will be replacing the accordian plastic door (not my cup of tea). Sorry to disappoint the true to A/S parters - We have decided to make just a few small modifications and stray from the original

Don't need a privacy door - no kids - and well the dogs close their eyes anyway and if we camp with anyone they better have their own A/S

If you don't move around you can't really make out too much - and well who would want to anyway

After finishing a set of curtains I cut all the panels for the curtains last night ready to sew like a fean today - have to make a road trip though ran out of thread - miss-calculated that one!! However - I got the big thumbs up from the Hubby last night on the Curtains - phew - touch guy to please

Have a Great Day all - working on or enjoying your A/S's!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Celestial Door.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	5738  
Old 04-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #26
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Beads!

I really love your beaded door curtain. It will draw some wonderful comments, I'm sure! I am wondering if there is anything like that that is smaller to fit in a window? I was thinking of my kitchen window, which has nothing but a valance at the moment and I don't really want to cover w/ a curtain, but might look good w/just a small bead cover. Can you tell me? Keep the pics coming, I am enjoying them all. Leigh

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
It's curtains for me!

Ok, so curtains are my next project....after the kitchen re-do. Summerkid, Gt6 and all - any hints for this newbe? How did you pleat, and how much extra fabric do you account for to get the desired length of curtain?
Thx!
Marc
Old 04-06-2004, 01:41 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
A beaded doorway is perfect - sort of fits the nomadic nature of an A/S. It certainly captures the spirit of the 60's!
We're trying for an original 50's look (not exact replication) for the Cruiser. But now you've got me thinking about a beaded curtain for the closet-like bathroom. There isn't really enough room to open the original door; closing it and sitting down are nearly impossible! It'd be a lot easier with a beaded curtain. Did they have these in the 50's? Maybe in a "tiki" style would work.
Doug