Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Mirror removal from Refrigerator wall

My Sovereign has a mirror backed by masonite held on the wall with six brackets. The brackets appear to be glued on the wall. No apparent screw holes thru the wall of the refrigerator.

How do I get the mirror and brackets off with the least destruction to the wall? I am currently thinking of something petroleum based to try and dissolve the glue, if it is some type of glue.

Want to install an lcd 19" tv and have room for solar controls.

Help please.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If it's an Epoxy

If it's an epoxy the DeBonder shown on this site might soften it enough to get the brackets loose without major damage.

CA Glue-Epoxy Glue-Gloves for Woodworking
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Once you get the mirror off I would consider removing the refigerator and bolting the mounting for the TV through the wall with fender washers on the refigerator side. That wall will not support the TV with screws in it. I would have the bolts come from the refigerator side and castle nuts on the livingroom side to give clearence on the refigerator side and finish on the livingroom side.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
John hd has pulled his fridge and we've discussed how absolutely minimal is the space between the fridge and that wall. I would agree with Howie that you'd have to prepare any mounts with the fridge removed -- easier said than done (see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425/dometic-rm-3804-repair-23857.html I'm considering this and think you'd about have to bring an elevator bolt through from the back of the wall. Check the bins at your Ace Hardware -- they've got much better selection than the big box stores.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just happened across this and have a suggestion as I just removed mine.

Use an ordinary "floppy" hand saw (the one you would cut a 2x4 with)

It slides in behind the mirror just fine and in 30 seconds the mirror is off. I did it by myself but I'd suggest having someone there to ensure the mirror doesn't fall.

No/to minimal damage to wall and then you just have to sand down the construction adhesive or whatever else they used.
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote