Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
Forgive a newby question, but is the "vinyl" to which this thread refers, the covering of the ceilings and walls? The reason I ask is because we looked at a '76 Overlander today and my wife noticed the covering of the ceiling and walls (down to about mid-way) were "tacky" to the touch. The only surface that was NOT tacky was the front (over the front goucho area) ceiling covering of the end cap, which because of the curves seemed to be a harder (perhaps even molded) type of material, and smooth to the touch.

We are considering buying this trailer but I began searching all the threads in this sub-forum to see if I could find anything about what we saw. If this ceiling/wall covering IS vinyl, perhaps it (the surface, that is) is "breaking down" in this 36 year old unit or maybe the "tackiness" to the touch is a result of something else -- like a previous attempt to clean the surface. But the tacky feel is everywhere. Any helpful explanation would at least let us know if this is a known issue. Thanks - we appreciate learning from all of you!
Hello! I'd jump into a lot of research prior to jumping into an older camper that needs a lot of work if it was me (my 2 cents), but yes, I believe you will find aluminum under that vinyl, which has adhesive coming out through it's pores.

In one of my first photos here you can see mine, partially through the stripping of vinyl.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...air-88759.html

Old 06-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
Forgive a newby question, but is the "vinyl" to which this thread refers, the covering of the ceilings and walls? The reason I ask is because we looked at a '76 Overlander today and my wife noticed the covering of the ceiling and walls (down to about mid-way) were "tacky" to the touch. The only surface that was NOT tacky was the front (over the front goucho area) ceiling covering of the end cap, which because of the curves seemed to be a harder (perhaps even molded) type of material, and smooth to the touch.

We are considering buying this trailer but I began searching all the threads in this sub-forum to see if I could find anything about what we saw. If this ceiling/wall covering IS vinyl, perhaps it (the surface, that is) is "breaking down" in this 36 year old unit or maybe the "tackiness" to the touch is a result of something else -- like a previous attempt to clean the surface. But the tacky feel is everywhere. Any helpful explanation would at least let us know if this is a known issue. Thanks - we appreciate learning from all of you!

The 1976 has vinyl over aluminum panels, the interior endcaps are not aluminum, they are fiberglass/plastic/abs? depending on the year. We use Krud Kutter to get the worst of the sticky stuff off, then do a wipe down with a warm/hot water and a mild bleach mixture. This is not for stripping the vinyl.

The stickiness is a combination of crud build up and the nature of that particular plastic coating. A good cleaning will take care of the worst of it.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandnora View Post
Hello! I'd jump into a lot of research prior to jumping into an older camper that needs a lot of work if it was me (my 2 cents), but yes, I believe you will find aluminum under that vinyl, which has adhesive coming out through it's pores.
Boy howdy! I've definitely got that message... which is why I was asking the question. This is an older camper that actually doesn't need a lot of work and has been pretty well maintained. Since my post I've gone back to the factory specs for that model year and found that, indeed, it is "interior walls of wear-resistant vinyl laminated to aluminum." I should have said the reason for my question is if the "tacky" feel means the vinyl is compromised... or that others have encountered this and found a way to clean or remove that tackiness. The AS is in pretty good condition, and to look at it, the ceilings/sides are in top shape, all things considered. It's just "tacky." Thanks for the help and the reference to your work. Your pictures are helpful - and you do nice work!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
The 1976 has vinyl over aluminum panels, the interior endcaps are not aluminum, they are fiberglass/plastic/abs? depending on the year. We use Krud Kutter to get the worst of the sticky stuff off, then do a wipe down with a warm/hot water and a mild bleach mixture. This is not for stripping the vinyl.

The stickiness is a combination of crud build up and the nature of that particular plastic coating. A good cleaning will take care of the worst of it.

Aaron
Thanks, Aaron. I'll check the "Krud Kutter" out if we end up with the particular AS. I was worried that if I started in on something that, for all appearances looks fine, but tried to clean the surface, I would only make it worse and have to get into the removal - something I don't think this one needs.

And, it does appear, as you say, the interior end-cap cover is some sort of molded plastic material - but it too is in good condition except for one small, stop-drilled crack which the current owner says he has "lived with" for 12 years and, I can see that option as well - at least it is purely a cosmetic issue. Thanks for the help from both of you - I'm learning!

(By the way... I assume you all have seen the other thread elsewhere - one of the interior forums - with the Youtube video about using brake-parts cleaner for easy removal of the cross-hatch adhesive...)
Old 06-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
No, I do not think the tacky feel means the vinyl is compromised. I think the tacky fell does come from chemicals in the vinyl. You can clean the tacky off with Krud-Cutter, as mentioned above. My experience is with trailers in the mid 80's manf. A good scrubbing with the KC tames the sticky pretty well. Another good scrubbing 6 months later and it comes pretty clean. No vinyl is loose of compromised on either of the two I have done.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Thanks, Bill - this is the kind of info that helps in the buying decision! Thank you.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Mid way through interior vinyl removal - how to remove remnants and cross-hatch?

Something that has worked well for me once the vinyl-clad is thoroughly cleaned, is to coat the surface with Future floor wax. This procedure kept the sticky surface issue away from my Minuet 6.0 for more than 5 years. The next cleaning was a little easier since the Future kept the surface sealed and there was much less dirt attracted to the patchy areas that had developed the sticky problem.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Thanks, Kevin - this really helps
Old 06-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Thanks Kevin,
Completely forgot about that tip!

We will need to do that when we start putting the panels back in.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #24

1976 31' Sovereign
Mason City , Iowa
I am 99 percent done stripping all the vinyl from my 30ft Sovereign except bathroom, I used EZstrip Power stripper that I bought at the local Menards. It all worked really well. It took longer then I had planned but I would do it again if needed.
Needed products: bristle brush, High quality rubber gloves, respirator, goggles, long sleeves, razor blade, towels, auto body bondo spreader.

If I were to do it all again I would start by using the razor blade on all panels and go along the overlapping lines of aluminum. Brush on EZstrip with bristle brush and DO NOT overlap strokes, I did 18 inch passes from bottom working my way to top and one complete aluminum panel at a time.
Next step when vinyl is soft and showing bubbles grab the vinyl and pull it off in one big sheet and IMMEDIATELY use plastic type scrapper (auto body bondo spreader) to remove adhesive then WIPE with towel. (this is what caused me way more time in the long run. DO NOT LET the adhesive DRY!!!)
Do the ceiling center section last and work back to front doing 12-18 inch patches and get good coverage, the ceiling adhesive is different from the side walls.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Watson , Louisiana
All of this stripping sounds like a lot of work and money. On my refurb I plan to pull all of the panels and put them back after insulation and wiring but not overlapping. I will butt the seams and overlay the panels with laminate sheeting. I have access to many different patterns and sizes at wholesale prices. The textured surface should allow great adhesion. I think the end result will be easier, cheaper and much more appealing. It will likely be a while before this is complete but I will post pictures when I am done. Just another idea on how to combat this dated surface.