Old 02-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We have a six inch non-memory foam mattress (six pound density) with a 3 inch memory foam topper (4.5lb density). It is extremely comfortable, and we still comfortable when we ran out of propane on an 18f night! A mattress of purely memory foam, would be too soft. You need a more supportive "base" underneath it.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #16
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
I agree with the other posters. Memory foam will work great as a topper, but is usually supported by regular foam as base.

Mary

Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

http://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
that is a 6" high density foam that we use as the base....we brought in a template...and they cut it size....it fits our custom bed that DH built perfect....the 2" topper is memory foam then all covered with a regular sheet on top.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
that is a 6" high density foam that we use as the base....we brought in a template...and they cut it size....it fits our custom bed that DH built perfect....the 2" topper is memory foam then all covered with a regular sheet on top.
Thanks, we are looking at Memory Foam | Overstock.com: Bedding to purchase.......toastie
Old 02-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Good point R Carl.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Someone said it freezes, does it? Their Airstream was not heated in the cold climate and when they went to lie down on the bed and they said it freezes.

I was thinking I wanted to add that to our beds until I read that. We do sometimes stop and use the beds on the road when the beds could be unheated or at least minimally heated from the furnace.

Yes it will freeze. the colder it gets the harder it gets. I have been in our trailer when it's been 20 degrees and it is a rock. But then is your trailer that cold when you are using it. Nope...

So it shouldn't be a problem...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We have a queen size by Vera Wang. Don't get a full memory foam matress. Get a 2" topper for a regular matress. we are large people & sink in deep. It makes it hard to roll over. One of us is larger than the other so they sink in further. The not so large person then sleeps listing (not level) while on their back. If the not so large person tries to sleep on their side, it's a constant fight not to fall over on your back or front depending which side of you faces the larger person.

If you have any mobility issues at all do not get a memory foam matress. (bad back,weight issues, bad legs,)

then there's the moisture problem. The bottom of the matress gets wet if not properly ventilated from time to time. I'm currently experimenting with using lattice for the under support.

We will probably end up giving ours to our son for in house use soon. What a waste of a $900 matress.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I agree with all the posts above and can ad our experience was that PO put 2 two inch toppers on regular AS mattress and it was comfortable but made bed too high. It was much better when we took one off. Made turning over much easier too.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
pell city , Alabama
i've also heard the tempurpedic mattresses are quite heavy. that's the ones for home, a topper wouldn't be that bad.

at home we sleep on a select comfort, and have been happy with it. they are very light but if you're trying to fill an odd shaped bed may be difficult.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
toastie, I saw the post earlier about the featured mattress having 2" of 3 lb. density memory foam. The 3 lb. density is the cheapest and poorest grade. It has a life expectancy of 3-5 years. A number of Ebay sellers market their 3 lb. density as 4 lb. density. A 4 lb. density (up to 4.5 lb./CF) is the next grade up and has a life expectancy of 5-10 years. It is OK for toppers but not that good in mattresses. The next grade 5 lb. density is the good stuff and has a life expectancy from 12-20 years. We used to be in the RV bedding business in QZ and sold a bunch of Overstock.com 's 4# density toppers. At one point, we were their largest customer.

One 4 lb density 2" topper can make a factory RV mattress tolerable. Two 2" toppers makes it too soft and difficult to roll over and change positions. A good cotton mattress pad can make a too soft bed sleep a lot better.

The best combo for a mattress seems to be 2"-3" of 5 lb. density memory foam on a 4"-8" reflex foam base. It equals comfort plus durability while remaining affordable.

Memory foam gets stiffer the colder it gets. Body heat makes it softer. More heat makes it even softer. Memory foam tends to sleep warm for most people. The warmer, the softer, so if you are someone who doesn't like a warm bed, you may want to consider a latex foam mattress.

My avatar pic was taken inside our bedding showroom.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
I may be an anomaly, but I found my 2004 CCD matress perfectly comfortable. I also slept well and woke pain-free with our 2006 Winnebago Aspect foam mattress. My husband, on the other hand has had problems with both and he is not overly prone to back pain.
I put a 4" Walmart topper on ours. Still works for me and is better, but not perfect for him. I wish I had gone with the 2" though because it makes the mattress too tall and I do not care for the sinking issue. But, as it is not a comfort issue and only a preference issue, I am pretty happy with the outcome. I also always use a mattress pad.
With my husband it is now a hit or miss. Most mornings he wakes in good shape but not all. Still better than a bad night every night.

What I would like to do later is replace our short queen with a full mattress and get more breathing and walking around room in the bedroom area. The platform is several inches smaller than the queen mattress so it may be doable with some minor mods. I need to measure.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Yes it will freeze. the colder it gets the harder it gets. I have been in our trailer when it's been 20 degrees and it is a rock. But then is your trailer that cold when you are using it. Nope...

So it shouldn't be a problem...
The only problem there is when you are traveling in freezing and below temperatures on the road and want to have a nap or sleep the night at a rest stop. (Long way South from here...) We have traveled without the furnace on but that is way too uncomfortable for stops so now we run it at a low temperature. I am supposing that the foam would not be rock hard then but it not be comfortable at that point either. Since then I too have added 12 volt/electric heated mattress covers. DH sleeps hot so I am thinking memory foam may not be our ideal solution. I know a friend of mine had mentioned a similar problem enroute (Canada) and that is what made me take notice and prompted checking.

Anyone use wool? I hear that is breathable... cool in summer, warm in winter.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
The factory mattresses in our '94 Excella were horrible. We then added a 3" (not 2") memory foam topper. That can be warm to sleep on on a warm night, so we then added a layer of cheapie egg crate foam on top of the memory foam. We can now both sleep the best we ever have in any Airstream we have ever owned, but that mattresses are about a foot thick in total, which is a problem under the hanging wardrobes over our feet. I will be considering some foam alternatives to replace the factory mattresses this year to reduce the overall thickness (and weight).

So my suggestion to you is consider 2", 3", or even 4" memory foam as a topper. We tested them at the Foam Factory on Hall Rd. and decided 3" was best for us.

We are disappointed in one aspect of the memory foam, however because it has discolored over time and it discolors anything it touches, so we have had to put the memory foam inside a plastic mattress bag to keep it from discoloring anything it touches. Has anyone else had this discoloration problem? Or did we just get some bad memory foam?
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I think part of the issue 3 dog night mentioned is cased by the underlying spring mattress as described. If your support mattress is foam, you won't get the "listing" problem like you will with a spring mattress. The memory foam topper then "softens" the sleep experience of the firm foam beneath.

My family was at the recent Springstream rally and slept better on our setup than at home on our Serta spring mattress.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote