Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
mattress choices ?

What type of mattress material do you sleep on in your trailer?? We are trying to pick between standard foam, innerspring, swedish foam and air. We have twin beds. Thanks in advance for your help.

Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Hmmmm. I know this topic has been covered before.... we sleep on the originl mattress topped with two zone type, thick pads. Cheap, from WalMart. Works for us, very comfortable. We thought about the tempurpedic type ones, but we use an electric mattress and that would screw up the tempurpedic! My husband has fibromyalgia, and I have a bad hip so the mattress warmer is a god send for us!
And for the record, our Airstream is a 1983 Excella!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 02-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Tempur Mattress Topper..

Our rear queen has the original Innersrping mattress, to which we've added a 2' thick high-density "memory foam" pad or "Topper"..

Gives the advantage of tempur pedic, without the weight and cost.. Available from mattess and bedding or linens places, or inline.. Cost about $50 for queen size (56"x74).. Works great, though without benefit of heated mattress... (We'd never be able to agree on temp controls for single mattress heater anyway..)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
mattress choice

Greetings Abe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
What type of mattress material do you sleep on in your trailer?? We are trying to pick between standard foam, innerspring, swedish foam and air. We have twin beds. Thanks in advance for your help.

Abe
I have had my custom mattresses since 1996 in my '64 Overlander. Mine were custom-made by Lebeda Mattress Factory in Iowa. I supplied my local dealer with a cardboard template of the opening, and the mattresses were manufactured to fit the template - - there was an up-charge of $75.00 over the cost of the nearest sized standard mattress. I was so impressed with the comfort of these mattresses that when I moved to the Quad Cities in Illinois (2000), I purchased a new King-Size bedroom set for my home from the same model line as those in my Airstream - - when I moved to Southern Illinois last October, there was no question that the bed set would be moved as I have never had a more comfortable mattress/spring set. You can find Lebeda on the web at:

http://www.lebeda.com/

Good luck with your search for bedding for your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
(We'd never be able to agree on temp controls for single mattress heater anyway..)

Can you say "Dual controls"? LOL!!!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 02-23-2005, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thanks Kevin,
We are going back with twins, but one side (mine..;-) ) is a litter wider by a few inches. The opening for the rear bath was to one side so we took advantage of the size difference. We did plan for a 12 volt heater for Mrs. Lincoln... I really like this web site!!!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Wink Life is Good!!

Abe,
When I got my AS thePO had recently had new foam cushions made. Caravels have a gaucho so there's no real chance of a "mattress".
Anyway, the cushions were like bricks and I just did not know what I was going to do. We went to one of the "marts" and bought a thick eggcrate mattress for about $20 or $30. It is really comfortable now. I could never deal with that at home but somehow I think when I get in my trailer it is so fun that everythings OK.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote